Club Captain

Guest DavB93
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

pointless thread. lock please James

oh that's right, only me that gets locked, forgot about that rule

New discussable development, nothing wrong here. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

Tbh, it could be merged with the 7 page "Club Captian" thread. :thup:

It could also go in the Owen commits long term future thread. No point merging every single thread for having a minor relation to something else.

Subject to the contents of the article, this thread has a much different slant to the two aforementioned threads.

Threads: "Club Captian" and "Owen: I want to be Captain" are only slightly related? :lol:

Guest Invicta_Toon

New discussable development, nothing wrong here. If you don't like it, go somewhere else.

oh right, so you saying there was no Chroncile article the last time?

As far as I was aware, your poll was just a piss take, on not on any level based on the contents of any article.

apart from being an article about the realistic captain choices, and a poll listing those choices?

Realistic with Deco as an option?

no, see that was the joke option. but i'm well aware you have difficulties with these forum nuances

tbh, it's your 'awareness' as you put it that I'm complaining about

Guest Gemmill

:lol:  People should gather round and watch this because I think this is what's commonly referred to as a "tipping point" (The tipping point is the critical point in an evolving situation that leads to a new and irreversible development.).  It's where Vic's stupid arsehole behaviour of the last month or so starts to actually negatively impact Vic himself, so he starts playing the victim, lashing out at fellow posters and moderators, and ultimately it results in him getting banned for abusing someone.

Every fucking time without fail.  He's like a ticking twat time bomb. :lol:

It could also go in the Owen commits long term future thread. No point merging every single thread for having a minor relation to something else.

Subject to the contents of the article, this thread has a much different slant to the two aforementioned threads.

Threads: "Club Captian" and "Owen: I want to be Captain" are only slightly related? :lol:

They are related, but there isa very different slant. This thread ismore about Owen's commitment to the club than the issue of club captaincy.

Lots of different issues to discuss:

What will happen if he doesn't get it?

Should he be signing a new contract?

Would he make a good captain?

Is this a long term commitment to the club?

Guest WalkervilleMag

a Captain's role is  overated imho,  other than wearing the armband, and shaking hands with the ref before the game, the role does not offer alot,  so in that case it does not really matter who is captain. aslong as the tactics and performances are good.

:lol:  People should gather round and watch this because I think this is what's commonly referred to as a "tipping point" (The tipping point is the critical point in an evolving situation that leads to a new and irreversible development.).  It's where Vic's stupid arsehole behaviour of the last month or so starts to actually negatively impact Vic himself, so he starts playing the victim, lashing out at fellow posters and moderators, and ultimately it results in him getting banned for abusing someone.

Hope you've got your tin hat on Gemmill. I can see an abusive reply headed your way in T-3 minutes.

It's not even taken him 2 weeks this time, maybe the close season really gets to him.

Guest Invicta_Toon

They are related, but there isa very different slant. This thread ismore about Owen's commitment to the club than the issue of club captaincy.

yep, can't see any threads talking about those issues round here

good call Taylor

Guest Invicta_Toon

at least you agree that mod decisions are being made differently when my name is anywhere near the thread

but you're right, can't see why anyone would have issue with that

p.s. did you catch my thread in CG before it was pulled? could have helped you out a bit if it wasn't started by me I guess..

On a previous thread I said Owen was my choice for captain. Got the p*ss taken out of me a bit!

I felt it would influence his long term commitment, and I still think that.

He is an experienced world-class (in my view) player, which is a good attribute to have as a captain/leader.

Like you say James, I think that he should then (also) set an example by signing a new clause-free contract. I actually think he WILL do that as well, but maybe not until later in the season, when things are provably going well (as I am more and more thinking they will)!

a Captain's role is  overated imho,   other than wearing the armband, and shaking hands with the ref before the game, the role does not offer alot,  so in that case it does not really matter who is captain. aslong as the tactics and performances are good.

What total shite! Are you saying that John Terry, Tony Adams, Roy Keane etc were/are not key driving forces behind their club's success as captains?

If you get the right captain it can make a hell of a difference to the dynamics of the team and the club. I was initially dismayed by the signing of Barton, but he's done nothing but impress me with the way he's conducted himself so far, and I know it's early days, but he'd be my choice for captain at this stage.

a Captain's role is  overated imho,  other than wearing the armband, and shaking hands with the ref before the game, the role does not offer alot,  so in that case it does not really matter who is captain. aslong as the tactics and performances are good.

What total s****! Are you saying that John Terry, Tony Adams, Roy Keane etc were/are not key driving forces behind their club's success as captains?

If you get the right captain it can make a hell of a difference to the dynamics of the team and the club. I was initially dismayed by the signing of Barton, but he's done nothing but impress me with the way he's conducted himself so far, and I know it's early days, but he'd be my choice for captain at this stage.

yes,as those players,especially the latter two were the driving forces even when they werent captains.

you don't need an armband to be a leader.

Happy days :thup:

I think a player can play like Terry, Keane and Adams without having the armband, Parker was no better or worse when made Captain.

You do need a skipper though, sometimes the most senior player is given the armband as a mark of respect, rather than how they perform on the pitch.

If Barton was not such a nutter I think he could be a good Captain but other than him I would say give it to Shay!

Guest Gemmill

at least you agree that mod decisions are being made differently when my name is anywhere near the thread

p.s. did you catch my thread in CG before it was pulled? could have helped you out a bit if it wasn't started by me I guess..

Where did I agree to anything like that?  You get treated like you're a wanker because you act like one all the time.  Either change your MO or get used to it.  Stop pissing everyone off then playing the victim when they inevitably react.  Jesus, even dumb animals can be trained, Vic, you just keep coming back and repeating the same mistakes time and again.

Guest Gemmill

Taylor is too young to be captain, and there's even question marks over whether he should start every game if we're still on the lookout for more defenders.  I don't think Owen should be captain either though.

If you're a leader on the pitch than you lead with or without the armband, see Gary Speed. As it is a reasonably important symbol I think it is important to give it to someone who is an automatic starter when fit, as a lot is made of dropping the captain if and when it happens. Therefore it'd make sense to give it to Given or Owen, imo.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Where did I agree to anything like that?  You get treated like you're a wanker because you act like one all the time.  Either change your MO or get used to it.  Stop pissing everyone off then playing the victim when they inevitably react.  Jesus, even dumb animals can be trained, Vic, you just keep coming back and repeating the same mistakes time and again.

bullshit. that poll would not have been touched had it not been started by me. notice the difference in treatment between that poll and this thread.

Taylor is too young to be captain, and there's even question marks over whether he should start every game if we're still on the lookout for more defenders.  I don't think Owen should be captain either though.

Who'd be your pick?

bullshit. that poll would not have been touched had it not been started by me. notice the difference in treatment between that poll and this thread.

OUR SURVEY SAID...

X