Definitely worth a bid I'd say - No new deal for Smith

Guest DavB93

from what i saw of the england game last week he was terrible, balls played into his feet seemed to bounce of him and although he would be holding the ball up he seemed to get knocked of the ball easily, for the money he would cost i don't think it would be worth it

Smith is a poor player that would demand high wages and a first team place, and he is nowhere near the likes of Viduka/Martins/Owen in terms of ability. Someone tell me where he would fit in at Newcastle. We don't need another forward.

Guest BooBoo

from what i saw of the england game last week he was terrible, balls played into his feet seemed to bounce of him and although he would be holding the ball up he seemed to get knocked of the ball easily, for the money he would cost i don't think it would be worth it

Oi! Change that avatar. I baggsied it first!

He's never been class, I agree. Ferguson trying to convert him to a midfielder says a lot too. His scoring record is awful for a striker too iirc.

Alex beat me to it.

This is the best point so far. Alex Ferguson preferrs Saha over Smith up front (!). Ferguson did not see a future for Smith as a forward but rather tried to harness his energy and agression by converting him into a midfielder - and a defensive one at that. This project has been abandoned by Ferguson because it would appear it failed. Ratehr than being comapred to Shola I would see Smith as Dyer v 2.0 - not particularly good at any position but with a few decent qualities and perpetually labelled as having "potential."

• 1 year later...

It's about this time of day on a Friday that I like to bumped an old thread because the board's dead and I'm bored at work :)

A year ago today, worth a punt ??

*Checks thread for embarrassing posts.

*Breathes sigh of relief.

I did that too. :lol:

I was surprised to see myself so lenient on him in this one, I wasn't in the ones I made when it turned out we were actually interested. :dave:

Smith is a poor player that would demand high wages and a first team place, and he is nowhere near the likes of Viduka/Martins/Owen in terms of ability. Someone tell me where he would fit in at Newcastle. We don't need another forward.

Hey, you're right!

There's a few people who'll be happy when this one slips down the list again. I'll do my best to stop that happening until a public humiliation or two has passed :)

Hey, you're right!

Only we do need another forward ;)

Hey, you're right!

You're a genius man.

Hey, you're right!

Only we do need another forward ;)

I remember when we signed him, i said he was crap and it was a waste of money in the main thread, someone told me my comments were disgusting. Humble pie all over their face!