European U21 Championship

Guest SwissMagpie

Only England player i was really impressed with tonight at all was Reo Coker. He showed a bit of drive. Still nothings changed though, we should definitely go for Baines.

On a different note though, on Nugent's last couple of showings i wouldn't pay anywhere near £6m for him. He hasn't got the best goalscoring record at club level really, and his finishing has been quite poor in the last couple of U21 matches. He done well for the penalty though. Jury is still out.

Can anyone miss the point on so many levels? :lol:

First of all, Ramage impress me? Oh my Lord. I'm not even going to attempt to go into that. I think maybe once i said he'd rather stay here than Bramble. That's probably about it.

I think England should play 4-4-2, aye. But in the first half, we had a good shape and a goal seemed fairly inevitable. They just needed to get Milner and Young on the ball a bit more. In the second half, the formation was weird and mis-shapen. Young disappeared and Routledge did naff all. It was all over the place.

You better not attempt to rekindle your fond memory of Peter Ramage. You have bad memories. You do need your lord to help you.

You think England should play 442. But you praise Pearce's first half 433. Ok it is not really relevant. But how is Pearce's 2nd half 442 mishapen and weird? That a winger (Routledge), or 2 if you include Young not performing well does not mean that the formation is mishapen.

In your words England did well in the first half with 433. You should give credits to Pearce and say he got the tactic right.

Can anyone miss the point on so many levels? :lol:

First of all, Ramage impress me? Oh my Lord. I'm not even going to attempt to go into that. I think maybe once i said he'd rather stay here than Bramble. That's probably about it.

I think England should play 4-4-2, aye. But in the first half, we had a good shape and a goal seemed fairly inevitable. They just needed to get Milner and Young on the ball a bit more. In the second half, the formation was weird and mis-shapen. Young disappeared and Routledge did naff all. It was all over the place.

You better not attempt to rekindle your fond memory of Peter Ramage. You have bad memories. You do need your lord to help you.

You think England should play 442. But you praise Pearce's first half 433. Ok it is not really relevant. But how is Pearce's 2nd half 442 mishapen and weird? That a winger (Routledge), or 2 if you include Young not performing well does not mean that the formation is mishapen.

In your words England did well in the first half with 433. You should give credits to Pearce and say he got the tactic right.

I did ffs. I said so during the game aswell. Second half we were all over the place though. Young ain't an out-and-out left-winger. Brummie would give a more accurate opinion but i simply don't believe it. We were all over the place come the end of the second half. We didn't use the wings (effectively anyway) and the centre of midfield was cramped. It didn't work and i don't think he should have changed a formation that was working, regardless of whether i prefer 4-4-2 in the long-run.

Not got a clue what you were on about in regards to Ramage, though.

I don't remember Baines making a hash of too much. Overall, I thought he looked confident, composed and supported the attack well.

Got to bear in mind that it was a close match against a more than half-decent side. All our defenders, at one time, came under pressure. I thought the commentators were a bit patronising towards the Czechs, as though it was something quite praiseworthy that they held us. They're a major footballing power, and regularly produce good talent.

Guest kmdnufc

Only England player i was really impressed with tonight at all was Reo Coker. He showed a bit of drive. Still nothings changed though, we should definitely go for Baines.

On a different note though, on Nugent's last couple of showings i wouldn't pay anywhere near £6m for him. He hasn't got the best goalscoring record at club level really, and his finishing has been quite poor in the last couple of U21 matches. He done well for the penalty though. Jury is still out.

Reo-Coker was outstanding (well, he wasn't brilliant, but he stood out). Baines showed he can get forward and he can get a good tackle in but his defensive frailties were prominent.

Reo-Coker does play well for England U21'S though, its a case of he cares about his England place, but week in week out at a club he seems to fade away game by game as it seems to mean less and less to him.

We do have some cracking young English players in the U21 squad, so who would you like to see here out of that lot??

We do have some cracking young English players in the U21 squad, so who would you like to see here out of that lot??

Of the starters, any of them really, with three exceptions.

Cahill looks okay, but wouldn't be a sufficient improvement on what we already have.

Richardson looks like a big-time Charlie who thinks that now he's played for Man U and England, he's a cut above the others. If he doesn't keep trying to improve, he'll get left behind.

I'm not convinced about Ashley Young. He did well in flashes, but his decision-making and composure looks a bit all over the place at the moment. He'll probably come good eventually, but I wouldn't take him on just now.

And of the subs, I expected more of Routledge. He seems to have gone backwards since he left Palace.

Baines. Really think he'll mature into a good player. And Milner, he looks a good prospect n'all.

Ashley Young is one of the most promising players out of our U21's. Didn't have a very good game yesterday though.

I didnt see the game.

Where did he play? Left or right? He's far more effective when played on the right. Massively so.

Ashley Young is one of the most promising players out of our U21's. Didn't have a very good game yesterday though.

I didnt see the game.

Where did he play? Left or right? He's far more effective when played on the right. Massively so.

We started with Milner and Young playing off Nugent. Milner was on the right, Young on the left.

I didnt see the game.

We started with Milner and Young playing off Nugent. Milner was on the right, Young on the left.

Then he moved to the main left-wing. Where he went invisible.

So am i right in thinking he's not really effective when deployed down the left, Brummie?

Suppose that shows that Pearce hasn't reviewed his squad properly. If he had of, he would know that Milner was very effective down the left whenever he played there for us last season, and Young is far better on the right. Yet he's got them the other way round.

The rare quality that we've got in our squad could simply save him from his shoddy management.

So am i right in thinking he's not really effective when deployed down the left, Brummie?

Suppose that shows that Pearce hasn't reviewed his squad properly. If he had of, he would know that Milner was very effective down the left whenever he played there for us last season, and Young is far better on the right. Yet he's got them the other way round.

The rare quality that we've got in our squad could simply save him from his shoddy management.

Yes, he looks infinitely happier on the right, he certainly did last season once he had settled down.

Pearce is tactically absolutely clueless. As Dr Spectrum will attest.

I'm of the opinion that Stuart Pearce is an absolute cretin. I honestly think he is thick as mince. I'm sure that by the end of this tournament everyone who has been paying attention will think the same. There are some City fans who think he's a nice bloke, that he took the City job too soon, that he'll be a good manager one day. I'm not one of them. :huff:

Too many mates in the game and in the pressbox tho. Will never get the stick he deserves. I mean, 4/1 favourite to be the next England manager. There are no words.

He's the absolute worst person on earth for sounding like a walking, talking directory of football cliches, too. Listen to his post match spiel, he just trots out overused football cliche after overused football cliche. I genuinely think he's just unintelligent.

What is it about this country that we automatically assume former top players are going to make fantastic managers, and we give them managerial jobs way beyond their capability (I'm looking at Gareth Southgate here), then when they manage to stumble through a half decent season, we link them with the England job?

They'd make much better managers if they did their time in the lower leagues and proved themselves rather than opting for a flashy job, a spell of good press, and then an opening for the England position.