Ricardo Quaresma

Newcastle Fan

Guest Peter.Sthlm

The only thing we have to offer him that Porto can't match is the wagebill.

He will end up in a more sucessful club and probably one in La Liga or Serie A. Haven't seen him more then 2-3 times but my sisters bf is Portuguese (Sporting fan) and he doesn't belive he is made for the Premiership. Btw I think Inter are really keen on signing him.

Maxi Rodriguez would be a better bet if were talking about a big midfield signing. Not as much flair as Quaresma, but far more consistency, especially when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net. Built for the Premiership too.

Guest exilim

I think you gotta be dreaming lol! He rejected bayern and inter saying that he's happy at porto, what makes u think he will come to newcastle, such a big club it is now.

Highly rated in the past but now seemingly off the boil. Just the type of player Sam gets and utitilises their potential

Anyone remember the last "off the boil" player Sam signed from Portugal?

Mario Jardel.

That one went well... :shifty:

PS: Not that this counts for much compared to all the people who actually pay attention to football on the continent...but I saw Quaresma once upon a time. Would have been 4 years ago or so when Barca came to City. Didn't look owt special to me - By which I mean, he did f*** all - and he would have been up against Michael Tarnat who wasn't much of a defender. Then again Ronaldinho did f*** all either and he's no bad...

Maybe both had BLUE DOWN ARROWS against their names that day :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Liverpool are apparently close to snaring him.

Benítez is also in the hunt for a new winger, possibly two, and the indications from Portugal last night were that Ricardo Quaresma, of FC Porto, could fit the bill. Liverpool are said to have had a £13.5 million bid for the 23-year-old Portugal winger turned playmaker rejected, although a slightly improved offer could be enough to persuade the Portuguese club to sell.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/liverpool/article2028699.ece

Benítez is also in the hunt for a new winger, possibly two, and the indications from Portugal last night were that Ricardo Quaresma, of FC Porto, could fit the bill. Liverpool are said to have had a £13.5 million bid for the 23-year-old Portugal winger turned playmaker rejected, although a slightly improved offer could be enough to persuade the Portuguese club to sell.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/liverpool/article2028699.ece

I'd cry if they got him, he's one of my favourite players.

Very exciting and dynamic player in the Ronaldo mould who would do well in the premiership.

Yeah it would be pretty depressing ...

Very exciting and dynamic player in the Ronaldo mould who would do well in the premiership.

Yeah it would be pretty depressing ...

He's improved so much over the last few seasons, has got almost as many skills as Ronaldo and has the physical demands for the Premiership, i think he'd be quality in England.

Just goes to show, even with the best investment and signings we have made in years, and we will still end up further behind the top four!

Good to see Liverpool board are getting the cheque book out at last, if they want to challenge Chelsea and Manure they need to buy big, to top the solid squad they already have.

I would have been satisfied with Quaresma + Tevez + one new left back + one more CB on top of what we have already signed...That would have been it for this summer shopping...If only dreams come true...

Guest brewer

The last he joined a club outside of Portugal he was a roaring success

he was only 18 or 19 when he joined Barca and just had the likes of Luis Figo (who was at his peak) and Luis Enrique ahead of him

Figo had been gone three years when Quaresma arrived at Barcelona.

We have potential to offer him as well.  Porto are a good club with an excellent history, but they will always have the limit of playing in the Portugese league.  With a new manager and new billionaire owner we have the potential to be a top Premiership side, all we need to do is sell that too the player.

Hate it when people say "great player but he'd never come here" this kind of negativity really pisses me off.

Hate it when people say "great player but he'd never come here" this kind of negativity really pisses me off.

Agreed, you'd swear we were Wigan or Bolton FFS.

We have potential to offer him as well.  Porto are a good club with an excellent history, but they will always have the limit of playing in the Portugese league.  With a new manager and new billionaire owner we have the potential to be a top Premiership side, all we need to do is sell that too the player.

I think it's more a case of people not expecting him to give up the lifestyle he currently has now as much as anything else. He's a big fish in a smallish pond and he may be quite content with that.

I take your point though, if his decision was purely based on football reasons, he'd be better of challenging himself in a better league such as ours. 

he wouldnt join Newcastle United would he? hes at a higher rated club already

Co-Efficient you mean?.. Newcastle are a few places ahead of Port last time I checked.  Not that its really relivant of course.

Anyway currently he's at a very good club who have been a lot more successful then us in winning trophies, no doubt about that.  They have a very good history.  But they really have a fixed ceiling on how well they can do.  They're the sort of club who will win a major European trophy and then sell off there best players to bigger clubs and disapear for a while as they rebuild.  They just don't have the financial base or pull to big players to go any further then that, mainly because they play in a league which is considered to be B level (compared to the Premiership, Serie A and La Liga).  Being a Premiership club gives us a major advantage, and with a new billionaire owner and new manager we only need to sell the idea of big things happening here and future Premiership success and we do have a chance of signing these kind of players IMO

I think it's more a case of people not expecting him to give up the lifestyle he currently has now as much as anything else. He's a big fish in a smallish pond and he may be quite content with that.

I take your point though, if his decision was purely based on football reasons, he'd be better of challenging himself in a better league such as ours. 

I hadn't considered that, if that was the way he felt then I'd hope we wouldn't go for him, we need ambitious players.

Guest Verlaine

Agreed, you'd swear we were Wigan or Bolton FFS.

Steady on, that's a bit ambitious.