Big Sam "I cant stop Owen Leaving"

Decky

Guest eyeball_tickler

god awful decision to buy someone for £16 million and put a release clause in for almost half that.

god awful decision to buy someone for £16 million and put a release clause in for almost half that.

Yep, only at Newcastle. Sign player for £17M put in clause saying he can leave if someone bids £9M. :idiot2:

sems like allardyce is trying to force things one way or the other

Aye, best way to do it so he can get a replacement in asap or start planning for the outcome. If Owen's saying that then we should try and get rid of him.

I still cant see him leaving because i cant see the top 4 coming in for him, but for £9million im starting to change that frame of mind, anyone could go for him now, Arsenal would badly need him as would Liverpool. Chelsea and Manure would both probably fancy it for that price aswell especially since Manure had a 25mill bid for Eto rejected today.

The only person who can prevent im leaving ia Owen himself.  I think he will stay as he owes us big time!!!!

Plus his kids or going to school in Newcastle arnt they?

Owen obviously doesn't feel this way. The fact that Allardyce has come out and said this publicly probably indicates Owen and his people have been trying to engineer a move. What other reason would Allardyce say this for other than to bring it to a head and get things sorted one way or the other? Get rid of him asap and bring in another striker who wants to be here.

2 points...

Point 1:  This just shows (yet again) what a complete schmuck Shepherd is.  I mean, what other club administrator in their right mind would buy a player for so much money and give him a contract that says someone can take him away for a 40% loss?

Point 2: I think Sam is being very smart here.  I think he is placing a "put up or shut up" to the market, such that if no one does come forward he can to back to Owen, offer him a contract extension for slightly less money and no get-out clause, having proven no one else is coming in for him.

If he doesn't go now we'll have the same annoying speculation right up to January. Just get rid and bring in someone who does want to be here. We'll not miss him because we've never really had him.

who wants Owen for £9m along with his £120k/wk and injuries?

I can see most teams seeing if he can prove his fitness next season, then trying to get him on the cheap at xmas or next summer.

If Owen signs an extension how pissed off would the club be if  he picks up another injury and they are commited to an extra year of wages and no play?

Owen out, Huntelaar in. Take the gamble before he has an impressive Euro 2008 and ends up at AC Milan or somewhere similar.

If the rumours are to be believed bigger clubs are already sniffing around him.

I think it was johnson who made a f*cking fantastic point. Offer him a one-year extension on the exact same terms he's on now, but without any release clauses. If he signs, brilliant, if not, sell asap.

To who? The Big Four will bide their time for two reasons.

1. 6 months will test Owen's fitness over a longer period of time.

2. His value will drop further making a bargain buy even more appealing. Tried, tested and cheaper!

He isn't going anywhere till Xmas I'd say, or more likely next season for about £6m.

Full marks to Allardyce for ending the ridiculous and pointless pretence that this clause didn't exist, when everyone within the game knew that it did.

I think Allardyce wants Owen to make his decision sooner rather than later, which is fair enough. There's no point in laying into the player, like Shepherd did. If it's in his contract, Owen has every right to leave.