Shaun Wright-Phillips

WarrenBartonCentrePartin
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If both Milner and Shaun Wright-Phillips were playing at their best, then SWP would probably be the better player. However, i get the feeling that we'll see more of Milner playing well consitently, whereas Wright-Phillips will come in fits and spurts, what with his career being damaged so significantly. He was arguably England's best attacking prospect at City, certainly the brightest new midfield hope, but the move to Chelsea has lessened any chance of a blinding career, which he could so easily have had.

He's still young, but it's a £6-10m gamble that just isn't worth it for me, and plus it's not exactly a problem area.

Look deeper into Chelsea's squad and get Geremi, who can play in one of our problem areas, and two of our other areas that need strengthening. He's great at right-back, while good on the wing and can also play a defensive midfield role. And he'd cost a lot less than Wright-Phillips.

agree with that, but saying Geremi is 'great' at RB is overstating the case a bit

He's performed better at right-back for Chelsea than he has at right-wing.

Not that he's played much. :rolleyes:

Either way, Ronaldo, he'd be a very shrewd signing. Simply because he covers so many areas, with effectiveness. I've mentioned this before, currently we have one right-winger and one right-back (Milner and Solano) - if we were to sign Geremi, we'd have two right-wingers and two right-backs.

I reckon Yorkie would have Geremi's babies. :lol:

He'd be useful in center midfield but he's not at much as a right-back or right winger tbh.

He ain't played centre-mid much. ???

He's a good player man. ;)

He'd be useful in center midfield but he's not at much as a right-back or right winger tbh.

Not played center-mid much at Chelsea, no. But he did play football before he went there you know. ;)

And yeah, he's good but he's nowt more at RB than someone who can do a job there when needed. He's not a permanent solution there in my eyes.

If both Milner and Shaun Wright-Phillips were playing at their best, then SWP would probably be the better player. However, i get the feeling that we'll see more of Milner playing well consitently, whereas Wright-Phillips will come in fits and spurts, what with his career being damaged so significantly. He was arguably England's best attacking prospect at City, certainly the brightest new midfield hope, but the move to Chelsea has lessened any chance of a blinding career, which he could so easily have had.

He's still young, but it's a £6-10m gamble that just isn't worth it for me, and plus it's not exactly a problem area.

Look deeper into Chelsea's squad and get Geremi, who can play in one of our problem areas, and two of our other areas that need strengthening. He's great at right-back, while good on the wing and can also play a defensive midfield role. And he'd cost a lot less than Wright-Phillips.

I'm not sure what you're basing the fact that Milner will be consistently better than SWP on, if you look back to the last time SWP had a consistent run in the team (which he'd have if he played for us) he was one of the best wingers in the league, people also seem to have a selective memory where Milner is concerned because up until he scored past Man Utd this season he was putting in some very average performances.

, if we didn't have Milner than aye, without doubt,

Milner is utter s****. Nice lad, works hard, but wingers have to have pace, a trick, beat the full back and put a cross in. Milner can do none of these things consistently and should be flogged to Wigan or Stoke immediately.

Figo hasn't had pace for the last 5 years, still best winger in the world in that period

Are you seriously comparing Figo to Milner?

And when did Figo last play as an out and out wide man?

Laughable.

Milner's a Championship player, it makes me goggle at the praise he get for....er....running up and down the line and trying. Admirable, but from a club who had Waddle on the wing while s**** 25 years ago in div 2 it astounds me that people seriously watch Milner and say he's 'top class' or ' a quality winger'. He's like Lee Hendrie, game, hard working but poor. People like him because he's young and they somehow think that in 5 years he's going to turn into Garrincha. He's not...he's just an average/below par Prem footballer. Nowt more, nowt less.

hello.......ya barred.. now fuk off

I'd still be keen to see Nobby as the official right-back i reckon, though i reckon i'd probably be in a minority. He's organised and he's a creative outlet, even from right-back. But, like i say, most would probably disagree. I fancy Geremi cos he's good, but he's good in lots of areas - and proper versatility is something that our squad has lacked for ages. And he has an uber-cool 1st/2nd/3rd/8th name.

Not that i reckon Sam'll go for him. Geremi's just one of mine that i've plucked out the air.

*BTW, must have been Madrid where he was a centre-mid, cos he was predominantly on the wing at Boro n'all.

Either way, Ronaldo, he'd be a very shrewd signing. Simply because he covers so many areas, with effectiveness. I've mentioned this before, currently we have one right-winger and one right-back (Milner and Solano) - if we were to sign Geremi, we'd have two right-wingers and two right-backs.

Going by you having Geremi covering 2 positions, wouldn't it mean we currently have 2 right wingers and 1 right back in Milner and Solano?

Going by you having Geremi covering 2 positions, wouldn't it mean we currently have 2 right wingers and 1 right back in Milner and Solano?

Don't think i follow you. I meant we'd have two of each?

RW: Milner/Geremi

RB: Nobby/Geremi

Anyhow, like i say, Geremi's just a name that i've thought of; i reckon he'd be a decent signing. Can't see Sam going for him, though.

I'm not sure what you're basing the fact that Milner will be consistently better than SWP on, if you look back to the last time SWP had a consistent run in the team (which he'd have if he played for us) he was one of the best wingers in the league, people also seem to have a selective memory where Milner is concerned because up until he scored past Man Utd this season he was putting in some very average performances.

Well even if you're right, even if SWP would become consistent... why bother blowing another £8/9/10m when we've already got someone in Milner; who, in a couple of years time, could even be a better player? Honestly just don't see the need to go splashing out on SWP.

And btw, Milner was just alright up until Christmas. After the turn of the year, he was just about always our best player on the pitch.

Don't think i follow you. I meant we'd have two of each?

RW: Milner/Geremi

RB: Nobby/Geremi

Anyhow, like i say, Geremi's just a name that i've thought of; i reckon he'd be a decent signing. Can't see Sam going for him, though.

My point being that if we bought a natural right back we'd still be well covered.

RW: Milner/Nobby

RB: Nobby/Rob Jones

Well that's where our opinions would differ then, Baggio, cos i reckon that Nobby's severe lack of pace and general effectiveness up and down the wing hinders any chance of him becoming a decent winger again. He's done well at right-back cos it's still his side, but he hasn't had to bomb backwards and forwards... he's progressed from deep, played the odd long (regularly good) long pass, and organised the defense.

Well even if you're right, even if SWP would become consistent... why bother blowing another £8/9/10m when we've already got someone in Milner; who, in a couple of years time, could even be a better player? Honestly just don't see the need to go splashing out on SWP.

And btw, Milner was just alright up until Christmas. After the turn of the year, he was just about always our best player on the pitch.

Because we improve the team now, I'm not suggesting we do a Roeder and blow all our money on a winger but if Ashley is putting significant funds into the club for transfers then SWP would be a big upgrade on Milner.

Milner will never be up to the level that SWP could be for us IMO, his restrictions are there for all to see.

Because we improve the team now, I'm not suggesting we do a Roeder and blow all our money on a winger but if Ashley is putting significant funds into the club for transfers then SWP would be a big upgrade on Milner.

Milner will never be up to the level that SWP could be for us IMO, his restrictions are there for all to see.

As are SWP's. What are you basing his greatness on, because for the majority if games i saw him play in his time at Chelsea, he was poor.

What Milner lacks in pace (his only real detrimental side to his game, imo), he makes up for in his ability to beat his man better than anyone else in the squad. He's excellent at dropping the shoulder, nicking the ball past and delivering a cross. His crossing is erratic but that can obviously be worked on.

He'll score goals aswell. I think Milner's got a big future here (why shouldn't he?)and i see no reason to blow cash on hindering that development. He's only going to get better with football, and better coaching - obviously.

We could have had an identical argument 12 months ago re N'Zogbia/Duff and, granted - different circumstances, look how that turned out.

As are SWP's. What are you basing his greatness on, because for the majority if games i saw him play in his time at Chelsea, he was poor.

When SWP has had a consistent run in the team his ability is far better than anything Milner can produce, Milner is slow, poor control/passing and crossing ability, his lack of pace is what holds him back the most and it's something he'll never improve on.

Swp can beat a man with ease and make something happen because his pace frightens players, he's also a much better finisher than Milner.

Why don't you tell me whats so great about Milner compared to SWP then, NM.

Not played center-mid much at Chelsea, no. But he did play football before he went there you know. ;)

And yeah, he's good but he's nowt more at RB than someone who can do a job there when needed. He's not a permanent solution there in my eyes.

Thank God someone else sees this. Sick of hearing about Geremi at RB, he's no more a right back than Solano is, probably less in fact, Nobby started out there.

N/M to be fair if you look at his man c days he was alot better..... than at chelski... mainly due to the amount of games he got. he played every game for man city yet not many at all (not sure on figures tho) .. here i think he would double the amount he plays than at chelsea..so "should" see a better swp

When SWP has had a consistent run in the team his ability is far better than anything Milner can produce, Milner is slow, poor control/passing and crossing ability, his lack of pace is what holds him back the most and it's something he'll never improve on.

Swp can beat a man with ease and make something happen because his pace frightens players, he's also a much better finisher than Milner.

Why don't you tell me whats so great about Milner compared to SWP then, NM.

Well, SWP hasn't shown much of being able ot go past a man for me, and his crossing is as bad as Dyer's. He can run fast, but as we've seen with Dyer, thats enough to make some people think he's a good player.

His finishing is not exactly top class, either. Having said that, i've not seen him play as much as you, clearly. You must watch a lot of non-NUFC football, to know so much.