Shaun Wright-Phillips

WarrenBartonCentrePartin
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Milner has far more pace than Solano ever had, probably beats Beckham as well.

He doesn't need to run full pelt at people as he goes past most defenders with ease.

His crossing improved last season, and with something to aim at this season he'll only become more productive. His passing is fine, and he even started to take shots at goal, which weren't too bad IIRC.

He's young, fit and willing to play and learn, we don't have too many of those players in the squad, in fact Football as a whole are missing a few James Milners.

Word for word, in total agreement.

See the bits in bold:

So untrue its barely worth commenting on

Fiction

It needs to.

He doesn't need to run full pelt at people as he goes past most defenders with ease.

His crossing improved last season, and with something to aim at this season he'll only become more productive. His passing is fine, and he even started to take shots at goal, which weren't too bad IIRC.

He's young, fit and willing to play and learn, we don't have too many of those players in the squad, in fact Football as a whole are missing a few James Milners.

See the bits in bold:

Fiction

It needs to.

Fuck me. You honestly don't think a 21 year old can become more productive?

Not worth discussing things with you, you seem to have a problem with opinions anyway.

Solano was pretty quick on his feet in his prime, quicker than Milner to be fair. Milner is probably just as quick as Beckham was, but then again Beckham's game never needed pace, whereas Milner's really could do with some.

Interesting comments regarding Sam making him the backbone of his team, change to midfield in the Lampard-type role up coming perhaps?

See the bits in bold:

Fiction

It needs to.

Fuck me. You honestly don't think a 21 year old can become more productive?

Not worth discussing things with you, you seem to have a problem with opinions anyway.

I wasn't even going to bother mate, obviously highly influenced by other peoples warped opinions and can't bare to face forming one of his own.

See the bits in bold:

Fiction

It needs to.

f*** me. You honestly don't think a 21 year old can become more productive?

No problem with opinions when they are based on fact. Those arent. He is ok, no better, no worse. Is that what you want our team to be?

If the truth hurts then I apologise. I would love to say he has pace, technique and talent to burn. He has some technique but nowhere near enough to be a top footballer, he is slower than Neil McDonald and many thought he didnt need pace as he had good technique. Posada is spot on. If we want to progress then we need better. Much better.

Solano was pretty quick on his feet in his prime, quicker than Milner to be fair. Milner is probably just as quick as Beckham was, but then again Beckham's game never needed pace, whereas Milner's really could do with some.

Interesting comments regarding Sam making him the backbone of his team, change to midfield in the Lampard-type role up coming perhaps?

He's hardly slow though is he? Not saying he's the paciest player around, far from it... but he's not slow. Hopefully Sam etc will help get a bit more pace out of him.

He's hardly slow though is he? Not saying he's the paciest player around, far from it... but he's not slow. Hopefully Sam etc will help get a bit more pace out of him.

He is slow. That is a fact, unfortunately.

He's pretty slow by a winger's standards tbh.

I think tmonkey said it best earlier on, Milner will probably end up better on the left side as it allows him to cut infield more while he can still cross reasonably with his left peg. That's the best way of combating his lack of pace, as he has more options when the defender knows it's dangerous to show him inside.

think this whole debate mirrors what is a ahead for a lot of out existing players next season

milner was all effort last season, he's got skill and tricks but when he does beat a man his delivery is often not good enough, it's almost like he's got his head up in order to beat the man then when he beats him puts his head in the sand and blindly crosses it

anyway what i'm getting at it that milner, like others, will now be operating with a better manager and presumably coaching/fitness/backroom staff therefore i'd expect improvement in all areas from him except perhaps effort, where he was never found wanting

there's a lot of understandable talk about buying players right now but there's a little too much about replacing players we already have who SHOULD improve next season (running charlie, martins for example) - milner is 21 or whatever and one of the brightest talents knocking about for his age, i think we should be harnessing it not replacing it

think this whole debate mirrors what is a ahead for a lot of out existing players next season

milner was all effort last season, he's got skill and tricks but when he does beat a man his delivery is often not good enough, it's almost like he's got his head up in order to beat the man then when he beats him puts his head in the sand and blindly crosses it

anyway what i'm getting at it that milner, like others, will now be operating with a better manager and presumably coaching/fitness/backroom staff therefore i'd expect improvement in all areas from him except perhaps effort, where he was never found wanting

there's a lot of understandable talk about buying players right now but there's a little too much about replacing players we already have who SHOULD improve next season (running charlie, martins for example) - milner is 21 or whatever and one of the brightest talents knocking about for his age, i think we should be harnessing it not replacing it

For someone whose delivery is often not good enough his stats are bloody good over the last 2 seasons, especially when you consider half the time he has been lucky to have ONE of his one players to aim at. The amount of times last season he has swung in a good ball and Martins is hanging on the edge of the box and no other fucker has thought to attack the cross is crazy!

For someone whose delivery is often not good enough his stats are bloody good over the last 2 seasons, especially when you consider half the time he has been lucky to have ONE of his one players to aim at. The amount of times last season he has swung in a good ball and Martins is hanging on the edge of the box and no other fucker has thought to attack the cross is crazy!

aye fair comment, a lot of the time the quality of his ball is good but the box is empty...but that's what i mean about blindly hitting crosses - the lads got quality but he needs to have a look at what he's aiming for, especially as you say when martins is looking for a cutback so he can belt it

fat viduka should help him there, plus goal hanging wee mickey ain't too bad at finding space for a header when his legs work!!

aye fair comment, a lot of the time the quality of his ball is good but the box is empty...but that's what i mean about blindly hitting crosses - the lads got quality but he needs to have a look at what he's aiming for, especially as you say when martins is looking for a cutback so he can belt it

fat viduka should help him there, plus goal hanging wee mickey ain't too bad at finding space for a header when his legs work!!

Owen's actually quite deceiving in the air, Martin has a great leap and a solid head, just awful timing and positional sense to attack them properly.

Sibi was the man to aim for, but if you are looking for a slow player to have a pop at (not you personally) this would be the man, and the reason Milner couldn't find anyone with his crosses. Milner on plenty of occasions had to even wait for Martins to catch up nevermind Sibi the turtle, Milners brain works quicker, therefore he steals a yard on people before even touching the ball imo, and i saw plenty of times last season he was even waiting to cross to Martins who is one of our fastest players.

Owen's actually quite deceiving in the air, Martin has a great leap and a solid head, just awful timing and positional sense to attack them properly.

Sibi was the man to aim for, but if you are looking for a slow player to have a pop at (not you personally) this would be the man, and the reason Milner couldn't find anyone with his crosses. Milner on plenty of occasions had to even wait for Martins to catch up nevermind Sibi the turtle, Milners brain works quicker, therefore he steals a yard on people before even touching the ball imo, and i saw plenty of times last season he was even waiting to cross to Martins who is one of our fastest players.

nail on the head about milner; the brain and speed of thought...

he's an einstein amongst kieron dyers and titus brambles!

Can't be just be me that thinks if we keep Owen and Martins, and with Viduka we'll have a great trio of quality and variety there? I reckon Milner will be raring to go with those three to aim at.

Can't be just be me that thinks if we keep Owen and Martins, and with Viduka we'll have a great trio of quality and variety there? I reckon Milner will be raring to go with those three to aim at.

This.

agreed, get charlie playing football again and it's got all the elements a dynamic and flexible strikeforce eh?

remember charlie season before last?  time and again skinning fullbacks, going to the byline and cutting back...utterly made for someone with positional sense like owen

we just need to get the lad motivated again

agreed, get charlie playing football again and it's got all the elements a dynamic and flexible strikeforce eh?

remember charlie season before last?  time and again skinning fullbacks, going to the byline and cutting back...utterly made for someone with positional sense like owen

Well there's been fuk all in the press this summer about him moving away, not even a peep from Arsenal.

Hopefully that was his poorest season behind him, and the new ear here can sweep him back to the top of his game.

In Sam we have manager who looks beyond the football pitch. Charlie has had a tough 12 months for a young chap, Faye & Boumsong leaving the club meant  Charlie lost his pals, at  a time when he was no doubt still thinking about his dads death & then the club go & sign Duff to play in his position. It is no wonder he went off the rails a bit. No excuse for the complete unprofessionalism shown at the Watford game though

true he's behaved badly but not as badly as a certain mr 80k a week dyer did eh? 

like you say fat sams a self-professed motivational genius so it obviously looks like running charlie needs an arm around him rather than being ignored and hardly given a chance to prove himself

i'llbe mortified if the lad leaves like but as the other guy says it seem like that talk has died down now...?

Don't bother Jon, he's finished at 21 - fact according to Pie.

Finished? Did I say that or did you make it up?

I suspect you wont answer that question.

I have stated that he isnt any better than average. Its nice that people want to see him do well. He just doesnt have the ability or the pace to do so.

If we are looking at players like Milner to help us progress then we will be waiting a long time. Keep him as a squad player but he wouldnt get in the Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham or Arsenal first choice sides. Thats where we should be aiming - top 5. At that level he is lacking.

i'llbe mortified if the lad leaves like but as the other guy says it seem like that talk has died down now...?

I just hope the lad realises what he has got here as it would be such a waste to see him turn out to be another Olly Bernard.

Don't bother Jon, he's finished at 21 - fact according to Pie.

Finished? Did I say that or did you make it up?

I suspect you wont answer that question.

I have stated that he isnt any better than average. Its nice that people want to see him do well. He just doesnt have the ability or the pace to do so.

If we are looking at players like Milner to help us progress then we will be waiting a long time. Keep him as a squad player but he wouldnt get in the Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham or Arsenal first choice sides. Thats where we should be aiming - top 5. At that level he is lacking.

Pennant gets in the Liverpool side.