Shaun Wright-Phillips

WarrenBartonCentrePartin
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I wonder if SWP will look back and regret signing for Chelsea one day? A couple of years ago he looked the business. He looked a real threat to the best in the division and always impressed. He created havoc down the right and scored and made goals every week.

Now look at him. He still sparks every now and again but he's played so infrequently that he can't get up to speed and he looks a shadow of the player he once was. The lad needs a move desperately to a club where he's guaranteed to start. Personally, I think he's just wasted 2 of the best years of his career. He's at his peak right now and he's spending his time picking the splinters out of his arse.

If both Milner and Shaun Wright-Phillips were playing at their best, then SWP would probably be the better player. However, i get the feeling that we'll see more of Milner playing well consitently, whereas Wright-Phillips will come in fits and spurts, what with his career being damaged so significantly. He was arguably England's best attacking prospect at City, certainly the brightest new midfield hope, but the move to Chelsea has lessened any chance of a blinding career, which he could so easily have had.

He's still young, but it's a £6-10m gamble that just isn't worth it for me, and plus it's not exactly a problem area.

Look deeper into Chelsea's squad and get Geremi, who can play in one of our problem areas, and two of our other areas that need strengthening. He's great at right-back, while good on the wing and can also play a defensive midfield role. And he'd cost a lot less than Wright-Phillips.

I'm not sure what you're basing the fact that Milner will be consistently better than SWP on, if you look back to the last time SWP had a consistent run in the team (which he'd have if he played for us) he was one of the best wingers in the league, people also seem to have a selective memory where Milner is concerned because up until he scored past Man Utd this season he was putting in some very average performances.

Well even if you're right, even if SWP would become consistent... why bother blowing another £8/9/10m when we've already got someone in Milner; who, in a couple of years time, could even be a better player? Honestly just don't see the need to go splashing out on SWP.

And btw, Milner was just alright up until Christmas. After the turn of the year, he was just about always our best player on the pitch.

Because we improve the team now, I'm not suggesting we do a Roeder and blow all our money on a winger but if Ashley is putting significant funds into the club for transfers then SWP would be a big upgrade on Milner.

Milner will never be up to the level that SWP could be for us IMO, his restrictions are there for all to see.

As are SWP's. What are you basing his greatness on, because for the majority if games i saw him play in his time at Chelsea, he was poor.

When SWP has had a consistent run in the team his ability is far better than anything Milner can produce, Milner is slow, poor control/passing and crossing ability, his lack of pace is what holds him back the most and it's something he'll never improve on.

Swp can beat a man with ease and make something happen because his pace frightens players, he's also a much better finisher than Milner.

Why don't you tell me whats so great about Milner compared to SWP then, NM.

Well, SWP hasn't shown much of being able ot go past a man for me, and his crossing is as bad as Dyer's. He can run fast, but as we've seen with Dyer, thats enough to make some people think he's a good player.

His finishing is not exactly top class, either. Having said that, i've not seen him play as much as you, clearly. You must watch a lot of non-NUFC football, to know so much.

I've seen enough of both SWP and Milner to make a judgement that SWP is the far better player.

You didn't tell me whats so great about Milner btw.

I think SWP is better than Milner when both are on the top of their game.

However, SWP has stagnated at Chelsea and Milner is improving all the time. No point spending money when the one on the up is already here.

If both Milner and Shaun Wright-Phillips were playing at their best, then SWP would probably be the better player. However, i get the feeling that we'll see more of Milner playing well consitently, whereas Wright-Phillips will come in fits and spurts, what with his career being damaged so significantly. He was arguably England's best attacking prospect at City, certainly the brightest new midfield hope, but the move to Chelsea has lessened any chance of a blinding career, which he could so easily have had.

He's still young, but it's a £6-10m gamble that just isn't worth it for me, and plus it's not exactly a problem area.

Look deeper into Chelsea's squad and get Geremi, who can play in one of our problem areas, and two of our other areas that need strengthening. He's great at right-back, while good on the wing and can also play a defensive midfield role. And he'd cost a lot less than Wright-Phillips.

I'm not sure what you're basing the fact that Milner will be consistently better than SWP on, if you look back to the last time SWP had a consistent run in the team (which he'd have if he played for us) he was one of the best wingers in the league, people also seem to have a selective memory where Milner is concerned because up until he scored past Man Utd this season he was putting in some very average performances.

Well even if you're right, even if SWP would become consistent... why bother blowing another £8/9/10m when we've already got someone in Milner; who, in a couple of years time, could even be a better player? Honestly just don't see the need to go splashing out on SWP.

And btw, Milner was just alright up until Christmas. After the turn of the year, he was just about always our best player on the pitch.

Because we improve the team now, I'm not suggesting we do a Roeder and blow all our money on a winger but if Ashley is putting significant funds into the club for transfers then SWP would be a big upgrade on Milner.

Milner will never be up to the level that SWP could be for us IMO, his restrictions are there for all to see.

As are SWP's. What are you basing his greatness on, because for the majority if games i saw him play in his time at Chelsea, he was poor.

When SWP has had a consistent run in the team his ability is far better than anything Milner can produce, Milner is slow, poor control/passing and crossing ability, his lack of pace is what holds him back the most and it's something he'll never improve on.

Swp can beat a man with ease and make something happen because his pace frightens players, he's also a much better finisher than Milner.

Why don't you tell me whats so great about Milner compared to SWP then, NM.

Well, SWP hasn't shown much of being able ot go past a man for me, and his crossing is as bad as Dyer's. He can run fast, but as we've seen with Dyer, thats enough to make some people think he's a good player.

His finishing is not exactly top class, either. Having said that, i've not seen him play as much as you, clearly. You must watch a lot of non-NUFC football, to know so much.

I've seen enough of both SWP and Milner to make a judgement that SWP is the far better player.

You didn't tell me whats so great about Milner btw.

He is improving all the time, his crossing is better, he is starting to take the ball past his opponent, and he is already here. Oh, and he's not a diving cunt.

Guest sittingontheball

SWP had that purple patch during the first half of his last season with Citeh (04/05?).  He was scoring or making one every week. Got two against us, I seem to remember.  That's what cranked up his value. That and the depth of Roman's pockets.

Since going to Chelsea, he's looked half the player. I've said this before, but I think this is a Chelsea problem.  Robben has gone from unstoppable when he arrived to someone who only delivers in fits and starts. Duff too went from the tormentor at the WC to the workman-type wide midfielder we've ended up with.  I don't think Chelsea is a good destination for flair players. SWP would have been better off going to Arsenal.

While the Toon doesn't, Allardyce seems to have a knack of getting something out of castoffs and players who've gone off the boil. If he and his staff were more established, SWP might be worth a punt. As it is, I think our situation is too unsettled for us to get the most out of him, assuming its still there.  Getting Allardyce to work on Milner is the better option.

SWP had that purple patch during the first half of his last season with Citeh (04/05?).  He was scoring or making one every week. Got two against us, I seem to remember.  That's what cranked up his value. That and the depth of Roman's pockets.

Since going to Chelsea, he's looked half the player. I've said this before, but I think this is a Chelsea problem.  Robben has gone from unstoppable when he arrived to someone who only delivers in fits and starts. Duff too went from the tormentor at the WC to the workman-type wide midfielder we've ended up with.  I don't think Chelsea is a good destination for flair players. SWP would have been better off going to Arsenal.

While the Toon doesn't, Allardyce seems to have a knack of getting something out of castoffs and players who've gone off the boil. If he and his staff were more established, SWP might be worth a punt. As it is, I think our situation is too unsettled for us to get the most out of him, assuming its still there.  Getting Allardyce to work on Milner is the better option.

good post, although I think Duff hasn't changed as much as player so much as he's been played in two contrasting systems (us and Chelsea) and his effectiveness has been compromised

I was about to vote no to SWP then I remembered the quality goals he scored. Milner has played nearly double the games for half the goals.

18-6 Swp

31-3 Milner

Obviously if we have the money I would want both players. If Zoggy is off and Duff is mullered I think it would be a good move as both Milner and SWP can play well on the left, middle or right.

Some people never learn, we signed Duff (Chelsea squad player), we did not sign Duff (Blackburns Explosive left winger). We would be signing SWP (Chelsea squad player),  not SWP (Man City's Explosive right winger). Lets stay well clear.

JAMES MILNER has revealed he is delighted his move to Aston Villa fell through last summer, writes SCOTT PIECHA.

The Newcastle winger was out the door at St James' Park, but only hours before the deal was to be completed the plug was pulled.

Now new Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce says he wants to make him the backbone of his side.

Milner said: "For the new manager to come out and say that is a great confidence boost.

"I didn't want to leave Newcastle if I didn't have to and, once I started playing games, I took my chances.

"In a way it has been a blessing in disguise."

if stuck stick milner on the left

Where he has never produced anything in 4 years, including a loan spell at Swindon.

Biggest pile of shite I have ever read on this forum, I take it you were washing your hair the ManU 2-1 game and the Chelsea game where he nearly made Ferreria cry?

, if we didn't have Milner than aye, without doubt,

Milner is utter s****. Nice lad, works hard, but wingers have to have pace, a trick, beat the full back and put a cross in. Milner can do none of these things consistently and should be flogged to Wigan or Stoke immediately.

Figo hasn't had pace for the last 5 years, still best winger in the world in that period

Are you seriously comparing Figo to Milner?

And when did Figo last play as an out and out wide man?

Laughable.

Milner's a Championship player, it makes me goggle at the praise he get for....er....running up and down the line and trying. Admirable, but from a club who had Waddle on the wing while s**** 25 years ago in div 2 it astounds me that people seriously watch Milner and say he's 'top class' or ' a quality winger'. He's like Lee Hendrie, game, hard working but poor. People like him because he's young and they somehow think that in 5 years he's going to turn into Garrincha. He's not...he's just an average/below par Prem footballer. Nowt more, nowt less.

spot on

, if we didn't have Milner than aye, without doubt,

Milner is utter s****. Nice lad, works hard, but wingers have to have pace, a trick, beat the full back and put a cross in. Milner can do none of these things consistently and should be flogged to Wigan or Stoke immediately.

Figo hasn't had pace for the last 5 years, still best winger in the world in that period

Are you seriously comparing Figo to Milner?

And when did Figo last play as an out and out wide man?

Laughable.

Milner's a Championship player, it makes me goggle at the praise he get for....er....running up and down the line and trying. Admirable, but from a club who had Waddle on the wing while s**** 25 years ago in div 2 it astounds me that people seriously watch Milner and say he's 'top class' or ' a quality winger'. He's like Lee Hendrie, game, hard working but poor. People like him because he's young and they somehow think that in 5 years he's going to turn into Garrincha. He's not...he's just an average/below par Prem footballer. Nowt more, nowt less.

spot on

Jesus crying, hand on face, something like that...

Where he has never produced anything in 4 years, including a loan spell at Swindon.

Biggest pile of s**** I have ever read on this forum, I take it you were washing your hair the ManU 2-1 game and the Chelsea game where he nearly made Ferreria cry?

Exactly. I think hes been better down the left flank than the right. Right backs have struggled against him on this flank because hes comfortable and dangerous when coming infield, whilst also having the ability to go down the flank and cross reasonably with his left peg. On the right wing, hes more one dimensional and predictable and can take a while to get into the game as he looks for ways to go past the fullback down the outside, although naturally his crosses will be more effective (when he gets them right).

If were playing 4-4-2 next season, then Milner down the left with a good overlapping fullback would be a strong combination. Having SWP down the right to compliment this would be even better.

Biggest pile of s**** I have ever read on this forum, I take it you were washing your hair the ManU 2-1 game and the Chelsea game where he nearly made Ferreria cry?

Exactly. I think hes been better down the left flank than the right. Right backs have struggled against him on this flank because hes comfortable and dangerous when coming infield, whilst also having the ability to go down the flank and cross reasonably with his left peg. On the right wing, hes more one dimensional and predictable and can take a while to get into the game as he looks for ways to go past the fullback down the outside, although naturally his crosses will be more effective (when he gets them right).

If were playing 4-4-2 next season, then Milner down the left with a good overlapping fullback would be a strong combination. Having SWP down the right to compliment this would be even better.

I can't say I would be disappointed with that.

Think I was, when was it? Seriously though, Milner isnt good enough. Just doesnt have the pace, technique or crossing ability to be any better than average.

Think I was, when was it? Seriously though, Milner isnt good enough. Just doesnt have the pace, technique or crossing ability to be any better than average.

We will see, hasn't done badly the last 2 seasons playing in two poor sides.

Pace isn't everything, take a look at Thomas in Charlton, he's faster, beats people better, but in terms of effectiveness he is a lot worse than Milner.

In the end you cannot just evaluate a player's technical abilities but you should observe how well he plays on the pitch.

SWP is becoming another Dyer who exploits his pace too much without completely developing his techniques.

So at this moment you may say SWP is preferable but around 2 years later definitely Milner must be the better option, which I believe SWP's pace is starting to depreciate at that time, around 27 yrs old.

If we want to have a new right winger and sell Duff and N'Zogbia, we better find a better option. A 10m swoop of SWP will be another Duff again-Chelsea's dropout who cannot regain his top form anymore.

Not bad, but we should expect a lot more than he can give. Nb: pace will be his downfall, its a major factor nowadays and his ability isnt in the Beckham or Solano league to make up for it (and both those mentioned were quicker than Milner and may well still be).

Not bad, but we should expect a lot more than he can give. Nb: pace will be his downfall, its a major factor nowadays and his ability isnt in the Beckham or Solano league to make up for it (and both those mentioned were quicker than Milner and may well still be).

Milner isn't THAT slow!

Milner has far more pace than Solano ever had, probably beats Beckham as well.

He doesn't need to run full pelt at people as he goes past most defenders with ease.

His crossing improved last season, and with something to aim at this season he'll only become more productive. His passing is fine, and he even started to take shots at goal, which weren't too bad IIRC.

He's young, fit and willing to play and learn, we don't have too many of those players in the squad, in fact Football as a whole are missing a few James Milners.

The thing SWP has over Milner is the fact he can skin a fullback, centreback whoever. And the attack goal and commit more players. The thing gets me about Milner sometimes is when he gets a player off balance then instead of kicking on and attacking the space, he just crosses, which is fine but he could have made so much more out of it. And he's not slow so that's not an excuse.

Maybe, that could be helped by having a decent overlapping fullback. The amount of times Robert played in Bernard and vice versa in behind defences down the channel was one of our most used attacking moves. We've missed that.

I'd also get Geremi, and then get him over every set piece aswell.

Milner has far more pace than Solano ever had, probably beats Beckham as well.

He doesn't need to run full pelt at people as he goes past most defenders with ease.

His crossing improved last season, and with something to aim at this season he'll only become more productive. His passing is fine, and he even started to take shots at goal, which weren't too bad IIRC.

He's young, fit and willing to play and learn, we don't have too many of those players in the squad, in fact Football as a whole are missing a few James Milners.

Word for word, in total agreement.