WHU Vs Sheff Utd - Illegal London club wins.

Dokko

This quote says a lot -

The panel's ruling states: "Ian Mill QC [representing Sheffield United] mounted a strong attack on the legality of the decision and the tribunal had much sympathy for Sheffield United's grievances.

"However the tribunal had to apply the principles of judicial review and determine whether the decision was irrational or perverse. This is a very strict test and is very difficult to satisfy.

"It concluded that it was impossible for this tribunal to find that the decision was irrational or perverse."

- In other words - 'Sorry, Sheffield, you've been completely shafted and we sympathise. But we're powerless to intevene as the letter of the law hasn't been broken.

Poor decision imo, im not saying that Sheff Utd deserve to be in the premiership nut its done nothing but scream out that money talks in this league, i bet clubs like chelsea will look at this and think, ah we will only have to pay a fine !!

This quote says a lot -

The panel's ruling states: "Ian Mill QC [representing Sheffield United] mounted a strong attack on the legality of the decision and the tribunal had much sympathy for Sheffield United's grievances.

"However the tribunal had to apply the principles of judicial review and determine whether the decision was irrational or perverse. This is a very strict test and is very difficult to satisfy.

"It concluded that it was impossible for this tribunal to find that the decision was irrational or perverse."

- In other words - 'Sorry, Sheffield, you've been completely shafted and we sympathise. But we're powerless to intevene as the letter of the law hasn't been broken.

Word

It's an absolute disgrace the way the whole thing has been handled and the length of time it's taken to get to this stage.  Scudamore should consider his position but he won't, he's too busy enjoying the benefits of being at the head of sport's greatest gravy train.

Good, i don't really feel sorry for Sheff United considring the s*** way they played all season, but lets just hope the lesson was learned here..

aye,the lesson was learned "don't expect the premier league to act even handedly"

did everyone know manu acted as an illegal third party aswell,they made everton drop tim howard for the game against them that won the title.

Good, i don't really feel sorry for Sheff United considring the s*** way they played all season, but lets just hope the lesson was learned here..

aye,the lesson was learned "don't expect the premier league to act even handedly"

did everyone know manu acted as an illegal third party aswell,they made everton drop tim howard for the game against them that won the title.

They paid Phil Neville to score an own goal too.

that poor keeper and all man, what was his name?  everton 2-0 up and cruising and about to beat man u for the first time in a 100 years or summat AND stitch them for the title

then the kid drops a piss easy catch in his 6 yard box and it's over

he's probably on electro shock therapy by now

I never got that one, I thought Howard was on loan to the Toffees last season and they agreed the full transfer outside of the window, therefore technically he was a Man U player until the end of the season as per the BEEB (14th Feb)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/6362649.stm

Also what happens next season if say Sunderland are fighting relegation and Keane persuades Beckham to come on loan for the last 5 games to get his fitness up for the Euros and they stay up?

Beckham signed outside the window so inelligible, Sunderland stay up and argue that the precident has been set and only get fined a few million rather than get relegated.

There needs to be a new rule written and brought in before the start of the season to remove this decision from precident imo

Guest Ebolarama

A points deduction was never going to happen, everyone knew this so why did they bother wasting their time and money?

Yeah, why should anyone fight for something they believe is important or means a lot to them? Inevitable or not, it was a matter of principle.

This is what happens when the league is run by the clubs which play in it I suppose. Money runs football now, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Even in my local league team if you field an unregistered player and get caught, you lose points. But apparantly add millions of pounds to the equation and you can do it for the whole season and its not a problem anymore.

This is what happens when the league is run by the clubs which play in it I suppose. Money runs football now, so I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Even in my local league team if you field an unregistered player and get caught, you lose points. But apparantly add millions of pounds to the equation and you can do it for the whole season and its not a problem anymore.

nice way of putting it mate. Sheff Utd are considering going to the High Court,  I think they are wasting their time, but hope they win this case.

I don't think Sheff Utd will win, but the fight isn't yet over.

http://in.today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?rpc=401&type=sportsNews&storyID=2007-07-05T004034Z_01_NOOTR_RTRMDNC_0_India-283218-1.xml&archived=False

Sheffield United take fight to High Court

Thu Jul 5, 2007 12:43 AM IST

By Simon Hart

LONDON (Reuters) - Sheffield United have launched an appeal in the High Court claiming the arbitration panel in their case against West Ham United made an error in law.

A statement on the Premier League's Web site on Wednesday said the Yorkshire club had decided to continue their fight despite Tuesday's decision by a three-man panel to dismiss their claim for a new disciplinary commission to rule on the case.

That decision appeared to confirm the Sheffield club would start next season in the second division, with West Ham in the top flight.

The league statement on Wednesday said: "The Premier League has just been advised by our legal team that Sheffield United have launched an appeal in the High Court... against the award of our arbitration panel yesterday...

"...this is a very narrow window of appeal where Sheffield United are claiming that the (panel) made an error in law by failing to send back the original decision to the Independent Disciplinary Commission for reconsideration."

PLANS UNCHANGED

The Premier League added it did not expect Sheffield United's appeal to be successful and underlined that it would "not be altering any plans for next season."

The Bramall Lane club were relegated on the final day of the season when West Ham sealed their survival thanks to a Carlos Tevez-inspired win at Manchester United.

The Bramall Lane club had challenged the decision of an independent Premier League commission to fine West Ham, rather than dock them points, for breaking rules when signing Argentines Tevez and Javier Mascherano last August.

West Ham were found guilty of "dishonesty and deceit" by the commission on April 27 and were fined a record 5.5 million pounds ($11.09 million).

But it also ruled that a deduction of points would not be "proportionate punishment" as the club had new owners and points lost in April would have meant relegation.

Sheffield United countered that breaches of ownership rules in the contracts of Tevez and Mascherano meant West Ham fielded ineligible players and a points deduction was inevitable.

I never got that one, I thought Howard was on loan to the Toffees last season and they agreed the full transfer outside of the window, therefore technically he was a Man U player until the end of the season as per the BEEB (14th Feb)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/6362649.stm

Basically, Everton wanted to sign him up in Jan before the loan was up to stop anyone else stepping in in the summer, and ManU agreed only on the condition that he didn't play against them that season. I don't see any problem with that, seeing as loan rules wouldn't have allowed him to play against ManU anyway if Everton hadn't bought him.