Sam wants to save Luque's toon career....

Guest Darth Toon

Maybe like the rest of us he sees this huge waste of money and he hopes the guy can fill in until Duff returns and would possible angle a move out of the club after that.

Duff is even more of a waste of money than Luque tbh...

No he's not, put aside how bad his debut season was, at least its a season of some description.

Duff still holds value, at least he's playable and not a liability. If Duff wasn't injured and we put him up for sale tomorrow, i'd say we'd even make money off him.

What value ? I think Luque will hold similar value to Duff but in Spain which is obviously close to 90% depreciation...

Luque doesn't even hold value in Spain. (Not sure what you mean on 90% depreciation?)

Nobody will even loan him and pay his full £40k wages.

Someone, notably WHU, Spurs and possibly Liverpool would give us our money, and maybe more for Duff.

Guest crj89

luque's first game against man utd he looked really lively, since the injury hes looked crap so i reckon he can cut it in the prem and will be one of our better performers next season

Guest optimistic nit

That's actually really promising.  I don't rate Luque, and I don't think he helped himself, but Allardyce's spot on with how we've handled foreign players in the past and who knows, maybe he can get something out of him that the last two couldn't.  Let's face it, the situation can't get any worse.

aye i agree, what he's said about taylor is on the money as well, and a few other things he's said are. i usually don't really care what the manager has to say, mainly because we all know souness and roeder would just say any old bulshit, but its amazing how good it is to hear the man in charge say what our problems are, even if we've been saying it for years.

Which ever way you look at it, its win win.

Luque will have no excuses now, we couldnt off load him, if we did it would have been a huge loss.

So he either finally works for us or claws some kind of credibility back or we sell him later for more of less the pitance we would get for him now.

Guest Gemmill

That's actually really promising.  I don't rate Luque, and I don't think he helped himself, but Allardyce's spot on with how we've handled foreign players in the past and who knows, maybe he can get something out of him that the last two couldn't.  Let's face it, the situation can't get any worse.

What did you do to the real Gemmill?

I've always said that I'd be happy for him to succeed.  I just wasn't stupid enough to a) pretend he wasn't shit and b) pretend it was anyone's fault but Luque's when he was shit.

What Sam is saying sounds very fair and perceptive. However, I think he'll fail in this instance. The ability is there, but not the aggression. The move came about all of a sudden, and I think Luque quickly regretted it and hasn't been committed since. He's got to now fight for his place against Duff and Zoggy, and I don't think he'll succeed.

What Sam is saying sounds very fair and perceptive. However, I think he'll fail in this instance. The ability is there, but not the aggression. The move came about all of a sudden, and I think Luque quickly regretted it and hasn't been committed since. He's got to now fight for his place against Duff and Zoggy, and I don't think he'll succeed.

I think it's great News. I'd love to see Luque succeed here. As for aggression, he could have quite a lot of that under a manager that supports him. It could give him a chip on his shoulder and hopefully the motivation to make the last two bastards look like fools.

Guest Toonie

Would be great, Luque has supposedly rejected moves away from SJP so hopefully he wants to prove his critics wrong.

Would be great, Luque has supposedly rejected moves away from SJP so hopefully he wants to prove his critics wrong.

If the right money was on offer he would be at Scunthorpe by now. I'm sure he would like to prove everyone wrong here but the only thing that has kept him here this summer are his wage demands and lack of suitors.

We could get him off the wage bill and get a small fee but seems like Allardyce will keep him. This suggests Ashley will provide a healthy enough budget that we can afford to give him another go.

There's no point turning this into another Luque debate, everyone knows each others' opinions, but I for one am glad Sam is willing to give it a go as I feel he's got far more chance of getting him performing than Souness or Roeder ever did and Duff's long term injury might give him an opportunity.

We could get him off the wage bill and get a small fee but seems like Allardyce will keep him. This suggests Ashley will provide a healthy enough budget that we can afford to give him another go.

There's no point turning this into another Luque debate, everyone knows each others' opinions, but I for one am glad Sam is willing to give it a go as I feel he's got far more chance of getting him performing than Souness or Roeder ever did and Duff's long term injury might give him an opportunity.

Have to agree with this and what Gemmill said earlier. Luque deserves some credit for keeping himself fit and trying to earn a place in the side when it was clear Roeder was never going to pick him, at the very least. My good grace can certainly extend to seeing what he can do under the new regime, I'd even allow Carr and Babayaro some shrift these days - especially the podgy Irishman after some of his performances towards the end of last season. Good times.

if you pay £9.5million for a player and dont give him a good chance in the squad for at least 10 games on the bounce then theres something wrong, look at drogba, chelsea payed so much for him and he was shocking for a whole season, look at him now! top goalscorer, im not saying luque will score alot as he will play left wing i would imagine. but maybe he might become a half decent  player

On the sun site they've put up a 'Premiership shocker XI'

Alberto Luque (Newcastle)

Another smart signing by Graeme Souness. The Spaniard was hailed as the latest saviour of Newcastle when he signed for a whopping £9.5m two years ago.

But the Geordie crowd, ever impatient for trophies, quickly grew tired of Luque's drab displays and niggling injuries. Scored just twice during his time at St James' Park and was last spotted on loan at PSV Eindhoven.

How lazy is that?  1) He's scored 3 times 2) His time?  He's still here. 3) Who spotted him on loan at PSV?

We havn't lost a single game Luque started under Roeder, FACT (and i love to use it :D)

We never lost a game under Carver, OMG SIGN HIM BACK UP, KICK SAM OUT TBH!!111!!!!!11