Darren Bent signs for Spurs, £16.5m fee confirmed

Guest sicko2ndbest

Manchester City could also enter the running for Bent. City are desperate for a string of big-name signings - and a striker in particular - as the Eastlands club were the lowest scorers in the Premiership last season.

No. We don't have enough money to pay £17m on one player, given the amount of other players we need (I think we need a new front 6). There is absolutely no chance we will go for Bent and the notion that we would is ludicrous. This article is far too speculatory (Is that a word?) on this matter and the bit on linking him to Newcastle is hardly cast iron. Smacks of just linking him to everyone so they can claim they broke the news after the event.  :idiot2:

Bent -> Spurs.

Given our track record for scuppering supposed Spuds deals it might well come true, and I have to say, imo, Bent could replace Owen and easilly replace Martins. (Let's face it he's going to be diving for cover every time he hears a bang.)

Guest zerocipher

There was a rumor in some article yesterday that Charlton will throw Luke Young in as a bonus to whoever buys Bent. The 2 of them for 17m wouldn't be *that* bad. But still high.

Let Spurs have him.

That price is absolute madness. We should have learnt with the Owen deal not to put all our eggs in one basket. To pay more for Bent than we did for Owen would be worse than anything Shepherd ever did.

I sense Allardyce is switched on enough to know not to compete when two cash-rich clubs are competing for an over-rated English player. I sense they're paying so much because they'd never attract the likes of Torres etc. We probably couldn't either, but I'd much rather we went for an up and coming striker from Europe than Bent who was very average at Charlton last season.

Guest sicko2ndbest

There was a rumor in some article yesterday that Charlton will throw Luke Young in as a bonus to whoever buys Bent. The 2 of them for 17m wouldn't be *that* bad. But still high.

What, like buy your new away top from the club shop and recieve a free stadium tour

anal claims that things will finally get moving now ashley is having his board clear out, and he would 'love' to see us move for bent and steal him from spuds.

it of a hint perhaps?

It's funny how Alan Oliver has gone from saying Owen and Martins are much better than Darren Bent a couple of days ago to now hoping NUFC make a late offer for Bent.

Bent to Arsenal will be what the headlines say tomorrow, but then ofcourse they wil still be linking Owen and Martins with them too.

This is not news is just more comic stuff, we won't pay £6mill for Baines but will pay £17mill for Bent.

mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif

I wouldn't sign Bent for 13m even if we were desperate for a striker.

He's a good player but 17m is stupid, i hope to god spurs sign him for that much.

Epecially considering for an extra 10 you could buy Berbatov from spurs, who is on a different plateau TBH.

anal claims that things will finally get moving now ashley is having his board clear out, and he would 'love' to see us move for bent and steal him from spuds.

it of a hint perhaps?

It's funny how Alan Oliver has gone from saying Owen and Martins are much better than Darren Bent a couple of days ago to now hoping NUFC make a late offer for Bent.

The guy is mental for sure!

I doubt Allardyce would spend so much on one player and a striker at that. Allardyce is all about value for money.

it of a hint perhaps?

The guy is mental for sure!

I doubt Allardyce would spend so much on one player and a striker at that. Allardyce is all about value for money.

That's more down to the fact Bolton didn't spend much rather than out of choice. I bet if he'd had more money there, he'd have spent extra on players to get them in.

He's a good player but 17m is stupid, i hope to god spurs sign him for that much.

Epecially considering for an extra 10 you could buy Berbatov from spurs, who is on a different plateau TBH.

Apparently it has all been agreed today, nothing like £17m, looks like not even being enough to disclose the details to the Stock Exchange. 

Still more to come.

Apparently it has all been agreed today, nothing like £17m, looks like not even being enough to disclose the details to the Stock Exchange. 

Still more to come.

We have already proved you spout shite so just stop.

Still more to come.

Don't you ever learn?

"just got the nod" :lol:

I hope Spurs get him purely for the fact they will be paying way above his valuation.

He's not a bad player and will get goals in a better team, but there's nothing about him to suggest he's worth anywhere near the prices being mentioned.

He will be an excellent signing for whomever he ends up at.

Its just a stupid price, from Charltons point of view they know each premiership team got the huge tv cash windfall, alot of clubs have been taken over and one club is already willing to bid 17m for him.

He will fire the goals to get them back to the premiership if he stays.

They did kinda piss on their own chips by already signing two replacements though!

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

Whats weird about the whole thing, as much as i do like Darren Bent, theres no way he is worth £17million, possibly a max of £13/15million. And whats even more crazy is the £75-000 a week he got offered to go to west ham..... its just total madness. :uglystupid2:

Just been reading on the Spurs board that some lad who knows Bent personally has said a fee has been agreed, he didn't say how much that was though.

We announced the £7 million we sold Jenas for so Spurs have done well to get him for less than that, that's if Jol's correct of course.