Owen very close to leaving?

KaKa

Some very interesting info in the chronicle today ...

Owen pretty much appears to have a week to manufacture a move away, as Oliver says that if he returns to training next Friday then he will pretty much be certain to stay next season. He has been given a special pardon apparently so he doesn't have to come back to training with everyone else at the start of the week.

Something fishy going on here. I think he might be close to a move which is why he has delayed his return to training. I think by next Friday he might very well be gone.

According to Mr. Oliver we are indeed interested in Alan Smith if Owen or Martins leaves! He also says that Alan Smith has already turned down Borough.

Something might very well be in the works as it appears the Alan Smith story was indeed true. I think Owen might be going the other way, and if anything we will probably be receivng the £3.5 million along with Smith for little Micky.

*A lot of this is speculation I know, but just my feelings on the situation which I think might be worth discussing. So take a deep breath before responding. Thanks.

Well I'll be damned ...

Just been on the back pages of one of the papers tomorrow that Manchester United have offered Alan Smith and £4 million for that little toe rag Owen.

I knew it I knew it I knew it I knew it I knew it I knew it I knew it I knew it!!! Exactly as I had presumed (see above).

It was so freakin' obvious! Alan Smith has returned from holiday yesterday and voila!

I knew once we didn't deny the move for Alan Smith and instead Alan Oliver said we would only get him if Owen/Martins left that Owen would very likely be going to Man U with Alan Smith coming this way.

So we potentially have a situation where Owen might be replaced by Smith and Oba martins by Gudjohnsen.

What do you guys think about this???

f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f***

absolutely gutted if we don't keep one of Owen/Martins and if we get Smith

Gudjohnsen, Viduka, Alan Smith and Shola.

You might be looking at our strike force for next season right there ... certainly goals in that quartet but we wouldn't really have a potential 20 goal a season guy anymore.

Aaaah well. I could live with it. Let's hope it pans out if this is indeed the case!

To be honest, knowing that both Martins and Owen could be leaving in the near future, is nothing but scary. :(

As for Martins going for £13 mp (+). I Can't describe the feeling, it is unbearable. :'( Hopefully Mark Ashley is smart enough to offer him an improved contract ASAP.

....Damnit, who in their right mind negotiates and ACCEPT to let a top player like Martins leave for  £13 mp??? It's like running a football club aiming to be the most stupid and unprofessional clown EVER.

Regarding Owen, I'm still undecided... he's just back from injury and we've just recieved a decent, but not good enough, compensation. Although rumours says he'll leave, I think much of the hype is created by us (the fans - with super expectations), and FF, doing his "super smart" media moves. :uglystupid2:

There's only one thing to do: re-negotiate the players' contracts or ship o'hoi.

United ready for Owen swoop

By GORDON SMART

June 29, 2007

SAM ALLARDYCE is braced for a double raid on Newcastle strike duo Obafemi Martins and Michael Owen.

Manchester United are set to offer £4million plus Alan Smith for Owen, while Arsenal have already lined up a £13m bid for Martins.

The pair have buy-out clauses and Toon boss Allardyce said: “Everyone knows the clause situation Oba has. That leaves us in a very poor position.

“If those clauses are invoked, there is nothing we can do about it.

“I want to plan for Owen and Martins to start the season.

“But at some point between now and the end of August, I might lose those types of players. That would be a massive blow.”

United are on red alert as Owen, 26, has yet to comment on suggestions he could invoke his £9m get-out clause.

Nigerian ace Martins, 22, has a £13m buy-out agreement — and Arsenal see him as Thierry Henry’s replacement.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007290817,00.html

How can Manu trigger a £9m clause with a player exchange?  :rolleyes:

Fuk me the S*n are total fuking clueless wankers aren't they?

I think it is possible as long as we accept their valuation of the player? I would have thought anyway.

How can Manu trigger a £9m clause with a player exchange?  :rolleyes:

Fuk me the S*n are total fuking clueless wankers aren't they?

I think it is possible as long as we accept their valuation of the player? I would have thought anyway.

No.

Think about it. Its a clause to say money is offered. They could offer us £9m worth of plastic bottles otherwise and we'd have to accept.

Us 'accepting' their valuation isn't meeting a clause to be triggered, thats us agreeing to sell.

I know its late but.... :lol:

These clauses - denied by the Chairman when asked at the time of Owen's signing - remind me of Blair's recent sell-out to the EU at his last fling there last week - he denies he's given anything away, then you find out later that he's done EXACTLY that, but its too late to do anything about it(except emigrate, in the case of the EU thing..!!).

We all knew these things would come back to haunt us, and if BOTH of these opt-outs happen, it makes it a much harder job for Allardyce to put together a team capable of achieveing UEFA Cup football slot next season.

I wouldn't mind much if Martins went provided Owen stays, as I think Owen would do really well beside Viduka, but if BOTH go, we've got a problem. Even a front 2 of Viduka/Smith, ir Viduka/Gudjohnsen(slightly better)would not br full of goals, so we would need midfieldersto score at least 20 between them to make an impact...

Guest tbelcher11

we're all looking into this waaayyyy too much.  Let's let some more stuff play out before we think about losing players. 

Guest teepee

tribalfootball (i know....) has owen going to manure with 4m and smith going the other way - quite likely the worst deal in the history of football!

Guest johnson293

These clauses - denied by the Chairman when asked at the time of Owen's signing - remind me of Blair's recent sell-out to the EU at his last fling there last week - he denies he's given anything away, then you find out later that he's done EXACTLY that, but its too late to do anything about it(except emigrate, in the case of the EU thing..!!).

I wish people would stop saying that - Shepherd only ever denied a clause allowing Owen to leave after 12 months - he actually confirmed that there were 'clauses' in his contract, like most other top players - even commenting that Shearer had clauses in his. Though obviously he has never said what these clauses were for.

No-one (Shepherd, the managers, or Owen himself) has ever denied the existence of a figure/european qualification fee specific release clause.

If both of these players leave we are left with a very average looking attack. The only way I would be pacified would be for Anelka to come instead of one of these two...

I can realistacally see oba going and owen staying...

Guest khyberpass

Just thinking you need speed as well as size...lots of big, tall SLOW players doesn't cause a THREAT...we score as few goals as Bolton and City if we adopt this strategy...

If we do lose Martins and Owen, we will NEED a fast, off side savvy to replace them...Dyer won't do it for me...

Rumour flying around about Defoe might make more sense now...

absolutely gutted if we don't keep one of Owen/Martins and if we get Smith

Gudjohnsen, Viduka, Alan Smith and Shola.

You might be looking at our strike force for next season right there ... certainly goals in that quartet but we wouldn't really have a potential 20 goal a season guy anymore.

Aaaah well. I could live with it. Let's hope it pans out if this is indeed the case!

That would be a pretty slow forward line. If Owens and Martins leave we will need an Anelka type player as khyber is saying. Smith would be useless.

I'm not a huge fan of smith, but i do think the smith/gud/vid/sho attack would work under sam.  I think he'd get the best out of the players, and make the midfield productive both in terms of creating chances and scoring.  With that we wouldn't be as reliant on a world class striker  - and at least gud and vid of those are hardly average.

Guest johnson293

I'm not a huge fan of smith, but i do think the smith/gud/vid/sho attack would work under sam.  I think he'd get the best out of the players, and make the midfield productive both in terms of creating chances and scoring.  With that we wouldn't be as reliant on a world class striker  - and at least gud and vid of those are hardly average.

I would also have Smith here - but on our terms.

I wouldn't necessarily want him here as the £5m makeweight in a deal which takes our (potentially) best hope of goals in the other direction.

Reports (albeit from the Mirror) said we wanted Smith for £3.5m, so there may be an obvious difference in the clubs respective valuations for him.

Also, a fit, regularly playing Owen would probably get 20 goals a season - could you say the same for Smith?

If we are to take a Man Utd player(s) as part of any deal for Owen, they should at least let us choose who we want, and what we value the player(s) at.

Guest DavB93

all the talk down here (manchester) is that he as at old trafford today?

Just rumours I take it...?

Saviola would be a healthy risk I think, if we need an injection of pace. Rather than getting srewed over by Tottenham for Defoe. They just spent a lot on Darren Bent and so they will be asking too much for Defoe to get some of that cash back.

Saviola on a free would be worth a shot. I've heard quite a few say he is too light weight but I'm not buying that. Those Argies are tough cookies and they seem to do well in our league. Saviola is also a very smart and savvy player.

I wish people would stop saying that - Shepherd only ever denied a clause allowing Owen to leave after 12 months - he actually confirmed that there were 'clauses' in his contract, like most other top players - even commenting that Shearer had clauses in his. Though obviously he has never said what these clauses were for.

No-one (Shepherd, the managers, or Owen himself) has ever denied the existence of a figure/european qualification fee specific release clause.

These are just weasel words - you are not a Lawyer, by any chance....!!???

Why not just say that he HAS an escape clause of we fail to qualify for European football ? The reason is, that its STILL an escape clause - if it walks like an elephant, trumpets, is greay & has big ears, it IS an elephant....!!!

True or false? Just a one word answer pls, PM - I mean......