Sam Bent on Daz - Mirror piling up the strikers...

Lowndsy

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/2007/06/23/sam-bent-on-daz-89520-19343348/

SAM BENT ON DAZ

Exclusive by Darren Lewis 23/06/2007

NEWCASTLE are shock candidates to snatch Darren Bent to ease a potential striker crisis at the club.

Until now Tottenham have been favourites to sign the Charlton marksman, with the two clubs haggling over the fee. Liverpool are also in the running, but their prime target is believed to be Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres.

Tottenham upped their bid from £12million to £14m earlier this week for Bent but the Addicks say they will nothing less than £17m.

Advertisement

Newcastle's interest - backed by billionaire Mike Ashley - will strengthen Charlton's hand.

In recent days it had looked as though the relegated club were about to relent in their impasse with Spurs over their valuation of Bent.

Toon boss Sam Allardyce has lingering concerns over get-out clauses in the contracts of both Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins.

Allardyce fears losing one or even both forwards before the end of the transfer window.

Bent turned a £75,000-a-week, five-year deal to go to West Ham earlier this month - after Upton Park chiefs had agreed a £17m fee - insisting he is driven by ambition and not money. Newcastle can match that ambition with Big Sam's sights set firmly on ending the long wait for silverware at St James' Park.

Manchester City could also enter the running for Bent. City are desperate for a string of big-name signings - and a striker in particular - as the Eastlands club were the lowest scorers in the Premiership last season

i would have him here but not for 17mill

Might be the first of many outrageously overpriced signings we make in the future now Ashleys involved.

I'd take him.

Guest tbelcher11

For 17 mil we should be worrying about building up our defense.  Which one of our forward's isn't gonna be there come August?  It's making me nervous... really nervous....

Guest Hodgson09

Henry went for 16 million, Bent is no Henry. Not saying we could have bought Henry, but come on Bent not worth 17 million, more like 7 million.

Henry went for 16 million, Bent is no Henry. Not saying we could have bought Henry, but come on Bent not worth 17 million, more like 7 million.

That sale really does put things in perspective.  If a consistent golden boot winner and world class player over 7 or 8 years is worth £16m, even if he is 30, then no way is Bent worth £17m, after two pretty good season.  I see the logic that Bent is worth £17m to Charlton, as I think he would be prolific in the Championship and could well be the difference between promotion or not.  But he's surely not worth that much to any buying club.

i've got a different take on the bent deal to most it seems - based on the assumption that owen leaves, or indeed martins for that matter (so therefore we're getting 9m or 13m back to put towards the bent deal)

bent is 22 years old and can score goals consistently in the PL, he's got pace, scores goals on the run but more importantly scores "owen-type" poachers goals as well as having a better all round game than lego man

therefore if we signed him for 16-17m we'd be laying out a maximum of 8m extra for a new striker with 10 years ahead of him and a far superior fitness record to lego man mickey

so in summation if we sell someone (my preference would be little mickey) then go for it, get the boy in

Guest maddog2

wasn't bent injured for most of the charltons season anyway?

17million, i'm sure sam can pluck out a decent striker for that much in the rest of europe. berbatov, mccarthy, martins all cases in point, who much, much less.

Rumour thats eminated from the Spurs boards so they can gloat they actually beat us to a player??

Anything over 10m is crazy. Even with the money we are supposed to be getting throwing away 16m on Bent would be stupid.

Money aside would offer us something different than what we currently have should Owen or Martino leave.

Will be interesting to see what Oba does when the Gooners come calling. Pretty convinced Owen wont be going anywhere until he has proved hes 100% past his injury problems and not completely devoid of pace.

May just be spin to put pressure on Spuds to increase their offer.

I was thinking the same. I don't want Bent for that ridiculous money, but if we force the Spuds to cough up the 17 million, i'll be happy. :)

Ashley could make a firm point by allowing Allardyce to purchase Bent (if he wans him that is) Make it obvious that Bent will be the first choice striker and the team will play to the strengths of the striker who will be fully comitted to the cause.

Buy out clauses are not uncommon but should be there to favour the Club who paid a fee and wages not to let shitweasels like we have take the money and run.

Allardice can see the problem coming... Most of the big clubs would wait until the end of the transfer window to activate one of our strikers clauses, this ensures they don't become embroiled in a bidding war and leaves us empty handed, for that reason Allardice is sensibly looking for a replacement for one or both of our strikers. Also the prices in the get out clauses are ridiculously low considering what Henry, bent etc..etc are going for.....

Guest shaun11177

Even if Ashley puts in 100m i dont want us to spend stupid money especially 17m on Darren Bent.

Guest Milburnthedog

Agree that 17m for Bent is steep but the kid is young, seemingly wants to play here, scores goals and would be the pace for Viduka up front. If Owen wants away, let him go. Same goes for Oba. Let's not have people here who don't want to be here, simple as that.

At the moment I'd be looking for a left back, right back and another centre half before looking to do much else but then perhaps Ashley wants a big 'splash'. It'll be an interesting summer.

It all depends on Owen, thi is whats causing the trouble, if we knew for sure he if wants out we could make plans.

Maybe even Shola to Charlton as a make weight.

who's to say allardyce doesn't know what owen is going to do,my guess is they have talked about it.