Allardyce and Shepherd in Barca

Ally

the way i see it we could be there to get gudjohnsen or guily to reinforce our attack when martins leaves for arsenal. i'm not sure what either of those players contract situation is but assuming neither are on a free they would cost at least 5 million less than martins 13 million buyout clause. leaving us cash to spend on a quality left back. i would be more than satisfied with this lineup for the start of the season.

given,

geremi, rozenthal, taylor, new lefty

milner, barton, emre

owen,                        gudjohnsen,

viduka

bench: ameobi, new cb, diarra, n'zogbia, dyer

squad: butt, solano, carr, babayaro, harper, luque, huntington, whoever else we've got

something of this layout would be a major improvement to the squad we all wish to see

Was wondering how long it would be before we saw a team, bearing in mind no-one knows who we originally went out here to scout... :rolleyes:

Giuly is an absolutely cracking player, I'd love to see him here so long as he was motivated to succeed. He'd only give us a couple of years but it could be enough to lift us right up the league.

It could be any Barca player in fairness, they've got a big squad. Sky could even have got it wrong.

quick question does Eidur play in midfield at all??

Yes played as a attacking midfielder at Chelsea but surely that would mean Barton playing as a DM.

seems like we are going after players that can be used in different positions. If we were to keep Owen and Martins and Eidur was to come maybe we would go 3 up top and we would continue to rotate letting carroll go out on loan leave shola in his regular back up role, we have to remember martins if he stays disappears for over a months with african cup (if he is still allowed to go) and Viduka and Owen arent garenteed to play the whole season. Seems an impossible dream to keep all of them happy but I guess I'm just clutching at straws as I do like Martins and would like Owen to stay

Is it a given that Martins would definately go to Arsenal if they offered us £13 million? They can match the release clause but it's still up to Martins if he wants to go or not. Personally if it was me I'd want some assurances from Wenger that he was still going to be there after the next season before I jumped ship.

Is it a given that Martins would definately go to Arsenal if they offered us £13 million? They can match the release clause but it's still up to Martins if he wants to go or not. Personally if it was me I'd want some assurances from Wenger that he was still going to be there after the next season before I jumped ship.

Was it my imagination when I read quotes from Martins saying he is really happy and settled in the northeast and wants to stay?? and if SA was quoted today as Owen saga being resolved weeks ago then maybe we are keeping them both.

I can't believe in the same thread people are saying Deco is crap and Giuly is a quality player.

He's quick as fuck but has no end product whatsoever and he couldn't even get in the team at Monaco who were beaten in the champions league final by a Porto team built around Deco.

Guest optimistic nit

WE'RE BUYING THE WHOLE BARCA SQUAD!

could be tbh. their second XI seems to contain every type of player we need :lol:

i agree with O-Nut. this is an exciting summer. not got too excited already though. i think i'm still recovering from the souness and roeder era, it will be a while before i can get too optimistic.

Allardyce did say earlier today that he was going to ask Arsenal personally if they wanted Martins.

Perhaps Arsenal's response wasn't what Allardyce was hoping for?

So he hopped on a plane to Barcelona within hours of hearing that?

Shepherd: Why we going to Barcelona Sam

Sam: Arse want Oba

Shepherd: And he's in Spain is he, are we going to pick him up like?

Sam: Want to buy half the Barca squad to replace him.

Shepherd: Ah, right you are, off we go.

Guest Martin

From Big Sam's time at Bolton;

"Sam Allardyce is interested in taking the former Spanish international to The Reebok Stadium.

With contract negotiations still to be concluded, Bolton may attempt to lure De la Pena to England.

De la Pena has previously stated a desire to move to the Premiership and may be offered the chance with The Trotters."