Owen tells team mates - I'm Staying

NSG

From the Journal- No quotes.

MICHAEL Owen will return to pre-season training with Newcastle United this morning determined to prove his commitment to Sam Allardyce’s side.

But there are fresh doubts about the future of Kieron Dyer as he has been lined up by Chelsea as a possible replacement for Barcelona transfer target Frank Lampard.

Owen has been consistently credited with a desire to leave United this year following the emergence of a £9m release clause in his contract if the Magpies receive a bid from a team playing in Europe.

But The Journal understands the England international has told team-mates he is no longer contemplating the possibility of a move as he concentrates on ensuring he is in the best possible condition for the start of, what he hopes, will be an injury-free campaign on Tyneside.

That will come as a big relief to Allardyce, who knows Owen is one of the most effective goalscorers in world football, despite his persistent injury problems.

Newcastle’s manager is still interested in Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen, but with Owen content to stay, the Icelandic international will only be signed if the tentative interest shown in Obafemi Martins from Arsenal and Juventus leads to a firm bid.

Whether Owen, having hopefully proven his form and fitness over the course of the first half of the season, is the subject of greater interest from the Premiership’s Champions League participants when the transfer window opens again in January, remains to be seen, but the 27-year-old has privately dismissed the possibility of a move.

Those sentiments, of course, will need to be backed up in public but, crucially, Allardyce is satisfied with the striker’s attitude as he looks to make the former Liverpool and Real Madrid star the focal point of his attack next season.

Dyer has also told Allardyce – who insisted over the weekend he was not for sale – that he is excited about the new manager’s plans and fresh ideas at St James’s Park, but that has not prevented rumours circulating that he is a target for Jose Mourinho at Chelsea.

Just as Newcastle supporters’ pre-season has been soured by the constant speculation linking Owen with a move away after two-injury ravaged seasons at the club, so too has Chelsea’s by the breakdown of contract talks between the club and Lampard.

The Blues are still hoping to persuade their star midfielder to sign a new contract at Stamford Bridge but, following another stall in negotiations last week against a backdrop of claims that the 29-year-old is Barcelona’s top target following the acquisition of Thierry Henry from Arsenal, Chelsea have made contingency plans.

And Dyer, who has also been tracked by Chelsea’s London neighbours Tottenham this summer, has been identified as a possible replacement.

Unlike Spurs, Chelsea would have no problem matching Dyer’s wages at St James’s Park, although the 28-year-old has also told team-mates that he is not thinking above leaving Newcastle.

The former Ipswich star, like Owen, has been impressed by Allardyce’s vision for the future on Tyneside and Newcastle’s new manager will fight to keep him if Chelsea do lose Lampard.

Allardyce said: “Anyone saying that I want Kieron to leave is talking utter rubbish. He is one of the successes of last year in that he appears to have overcome his major injury problems.

“I have spoken to Kieron. He is such a versatile player that he can get used in a number of positions and that can be difficult for him sometimes. But I will take the brunt of it if he has to be moved around. We want to grow together.”

Dyer and Owen, who opted to take in Chester races rather than Newcastle’s Northumberland Plate meeting on Saturday, will both return to pre-season training this morning despite having played in England’s summer internationals against Brazil and Estonia.

Allardyce insisted on every player travelling to the club’s pre-season training camp in Austria tomorrow.

Guest Ebolarama

But there are fresh doubts about the future of Kieron Dyer as he has been lined up by Chelsea as a possible replacement for Barcelona transfer target Frank Lampard.

That's the sound of credibility take a long walk off a short pier.

Interesting thought, if we make it into Europe next season, can the clause be 'de-activated'?

Since this £9m clause was only activated because we missed Europe, does it become de-activated if we make it into Europe at the end of next season? That would be logical, no?

Guest khyberpass

Dyer as a replacement for Lampard  - - what a load of.....Lampard hardly misses a game, has an average of 5 shots on target per game played, and has a fantastic engine...Dyer, not made a season without 1/3+ ravaged by injury/recoup; lacks confidence to shoot(even though he gets in great positions), and runs out of steam 70 mins into a game...NAH...

Jenas was more in the Lampard mould...

Interesting thought, if we make it into Europe next season, can the clause be 'de-activated'?

Since this £9m clause was only activated because we missed Europe, does it become de-activated if we make it into Europe at the end of next season? That would be logical, no?

Yup I think that is indeed the case. The clause only kicks in if we do not qualify for Europe.

Dyer as a replacement for Lampard  - - what a load of.....Lampard hardly misses a game, has an average of 5 shots on target per game played, and has a fantastic engine...Dyer, not made a season without 1/3+ ravaged by injury/recoup; lacks confidence to shoot(even though he gets in great positions), and runs out of steam 70 mins into a game...NAH...

The general mood on this board seems to be

Dyer = Dogshit

Lampard = Dogshit

so I suppose

Dyer=Lampard

is plausible.

Guest Toon83

No quotes from Owen, so until he does come out and say he is staying then i am not going to believe this story

Guest vatos

No quotes from Owen, so until he does come out and say he is staying then i am not going to believe this story

Is he quoted for saying the opposite?

By deliberately not saying anything (he knows people are concerned about it) he is effectively "saying the opposite by omission"  -  YES!

(Myself, actually think he is staying - but he should SPEAK!)

Guest vatos

By deliberately not saying anything (he knows people are concerned about it) he is effectively "saying the opposite by omission"  -  YES!

I see your point, but how many time in his career has he been linked to various clubs.

Its just been press talk.

I see your point, but how many time in his career has he been linked to various clubs.

Its just been press talk.

Yes, but I think that this occasion is a little bit more than 'the norm'.

I hope we will hear from him today, now that they are all (as I understand it) together, for the start of pre-season training.

Kieron Dyer has been lined up by Chelsea as a possible replacement for Barcelona transfer target Frank Lampard.

:lol: :lol:

Dyer = Lampard?  What stupidity!

Agreed!  But, hey, a "swap" deal would be ok!!!! ;)

Guest Ridzuan

That will be very welcome Im sure.As for Dyer going to Chelsea,I would support if Chelsea offer us big bucks.

Guest eyeball_tickler

Nothing new here, most people on the board predicted it

read through any owen thread and you'll see this isnt true. almost everyone predicted/guaranteed he's be gone by now as he's sooo unhappy and desperate to leave.

i hope he does stay and proves many people wrong.

Dyer to Chelsea is silly season paper talk. They get linked with loads of players, more than anyone else probably.

I'm fairly confident both Owen and Martins will be here come September now.

Liverpool: 26M for Torres

Chelsea: Don't need strikers (Droga, Kalou, Shevchenko, Pizarro)

Man Utd: Need a big striker like Berbatov for the 4-3-3 they play nowadays. If they went for someone small it'd probably be Tevez.

Arsenal: Just spent a fortune on this Croatian/Brazilian guy.

I think only a foreign club like Juventus are a threat now and it's not that often that those clubs buy from Premiership sides like ourselves.

Guest hagler

cant see martins going to arsenal now.....that brazilian / croation de silva looks like a good buy

The general mood on this board seems to be

Dyer = Dogshit

Lampard = Dogshit

so I suppose

Dyer=Lampard

is plausible.

Dyer = dogshit

Lampard = Dogshit + end product