Milner signs new four-year deal

Guest hindu times

Personally think he will end up as a full back in a couple of years

I seriously doubt that.

I kinda doubt it as well, but I can see where he is coming from, he has the engine and work rate to be able to overlap on the attacking front as well as stick in tackles.

It was actually based more on his u21 performances where I thought he looked far better when digging in at the back than he did going forward

"Should be the complete article at the age of 21."

True he aint beckham or a gillespie.  I guess we are used to accepting second best these days.

tbh i do think he should be in the squad.  Maybe he can develop into a good player.  Personally though i dont feel he should be the first choice in our midfield.

I acknowledge he proved invaluable in europe last season, he was too good for the opposition we played;  worldbeating teams like palma and howsyadog FC

I would play milner in cup games and in euro, and find better for our important games.

He's already much better than Gillespie ever was.  Great news.

Gillespie was unplayable at times before he got injured.

True he aint beckham or a gillespie.  I guess we are used to accepting second best these days.

tbh i do think he should be in the squad.  Maybe he can develop into a good player.  Personally though i dont feel he should be the first choice in our midfield.

I acknowledge he proved invaluable in europe last season, he was too good for the opposition we played;  worldbeating teams like palma and howsyadog FC

I would play milner in cup games and in euro, and find better for our important games.

Clearly you didn't see Gillespie in the 94/95 or 95/96 seasons. Milner hasn't got close to the level of play Gillespie reached then.

Glad the lad is staying but we are fucked if he remains first choice or remotely close to it.

Guest barnabox

Fair play to the lad.  I don't think he'll ever be one of the greats, but he went to Villa on loan and was one of their players of the season, he came back to us after we fucked him about and he was one of our players of the season, he's just had a good run with the under 21s, he's got time on his side, he works hard and he's got a good attitude.  He'll make a good squad player.

Great News  :thup:

He deserves a new contract.

Sure he wont ever be world class, but he's a good solid player, not to injury prone, and hopefully Sam can get the best outta him.

give it 2  years, he's going to be a great player a la Ljungberg

he doesn't have a lot of pace, so what, his crossing is only going to get better. Who was talking about Beckham in 96? the answer is very few

he doesn't have a lot of pace, so what, his crossing is only going to get better. Who was talking about Beckham in 96? the answer is very few

Very good point there. I can see Milner even getting the England call up in the future. He's my favorite player right now, and I can see him doing really well at NUFC.

He isn't in the league of either. His crossing is going to get better? It needs to and at 21 he should have the basics like that covered. Beckham certainly did at that age. At Wembley in 1996 it was patently obvious David Beckham was exceptional - if you had seen him give us a hard time in the Charity Shield in the pissing rain you would be aware of that. Ljungberg was also a very good player with a more than decent burst of acceleration - in fact a very different player to Milner.

Explain what 'technique' means. Just curious as to your definition.

So far you have said he is slow and his crossing needs to improve. Thats pretty accurate and not what a top team needs from a 'winger'

Good squad player.

Clearly you didn't see Gillespie in the 94/95 or 95/96 seasons. Milner hasn't got close to the level of play Gillespie reached then.

Glad the lad is staying but we are fucked if he remains first choice or remotely close to it.

So why are you glad he is staying again? Think he makes a nice cup of tea for the lads or something?  :laugh:

indeed mate, indeed. Can't think of any techincally better english right-wingers

beckham,lennon,pennant,wright philips.

Pennant is faster, but his crossing isn't better at all. I've seen statistics that prove it. And you'd imagine hitting Crouch or Kuyt with a cross would be slightly easier than picking out Martins and Dyer. I believe the same goes for Lennon. Milner is, bar a few long shots, an unspectacular player, but he's consistent and solid, and that's something you rarely see in a 21 year old. I expect him to become a key player for us.

Guest samtoonarmy

Excellent news. He was the best player by a mile last season and I think hes going to become an excellent footballer in a few years time, even though he already is very good

Glad the lad is staying but we are f***** if he remains first choice or remotely close to it.

So why are you glad he is staying again? Think he makes a nice cup of tea for the lads or something?  :laugh:

Because he is adequate as a squad player.  In a squad game - if we end up with injuries then he will do a job. Simple really. Nb:If you say something funny then put a smiley on the end. In your case just don't bother.  :rolleyes:

Glad the lad is staying but we are f***** if he remains first choice or remotely close to it.

Because he is adequate as a squad player.  In a squad game - if we end up with injuries then he will do a job. Simple really. Nb:If you say something funny then put a smiley on the end. In your case just don't bother.  :rolleyes:

Well surely a squad player is "remotely close" to being a first team player?

We arent good enough at the moment to have Milner as someone who gets a game if a few people are out injured.

...and because we arent we need to buy better and retain him until we buy several better. I don't expect us to achieve much with the likes of him 'remotely close' to the first team. Try to join up the dots Jon. Or attend a few more games and see the lad first hand rather than relying on stats. It will become more apparent then.

...and because we arent we need to buy better and retain him until we buy several better. I don't expect us to achieve much with the likes of him 'remotely close' to the first team. Try to join up the dots Jon. Or attend a few more games and see the lad first hand rather than relying on stats. It will become more apparent then.

Ohhh the old Soopfan game, what fun.

He was one of our best players last season (infact he probably was our best player) so unless we are going to buy about 15 players I think we have other priorities.

Maybe if you spent less time up your own arse you may have noticed this.

Is Pie HTL btw? Just reminds me of him...

Ohhh the old Soopfan game, what fun.

He was one of our best players last season (infact he probably was our best player) so unless we are going to buy about 15 players I think we have other priorities.

Maybe if you spent less time up your own arse you may have noticed this.

Is Pie HTL btw? Just reminds me of him...

Soopafan is a nice get out clause, a little cheap, but if it makes you feel better then fair enough. However, it is reasonable to ask people to act with less of an air of authority about a subject that they clearly havent witnessed enough.

Sorry to burst your balloon (or ego, as we call it in the North East). As for me sitting on my arse? I'll be there next season being a 'soopafan' while you tell people the rights and wrongs from your armchair.

'Best' player in a poor team is a bit like being the hardest in the infants. Not something that should give people cause to utter the word 'great'. If he becomes a good player then I will be happy - and I reserve the term good for players who are significantly better than average premiership players.

The little comment about HTL is weak too. Why not make your own mind up about that rather than asking for the help of others.

Leazes is aware that I am not and while I disagree with him and probably always will, I at least have some respect for his opinion. Mainly because it is based on fact (in his eyes!). He can be opinionated but it is justified as he has a barometer to gauge things against - having watched games for so long. Similarly you may note the comparison with Gillespie. Those who saw him between Jan 1995 and May 1996 tell a different story to those who see him at Sheffield at present. He was a long long way ahead of Milner at the same age. It simply gets irritating when people pontificate on something they have barely witnessed.

I hope the lad becomes a great. I am certain he wont be. Until we stop settling for 'hard working' yet very limited players in the vain hope they might find some pace and crossing ability, then we will struggle to get to the level I woul like us to get to.