Premiership to introduce Hawk-Eye Technology

NSG

Additionally, the addition of technology that irrefutably proves/disproves an incident one way or the other would surely go some way to alleviating the antics of players nowadays, which would- one imagines- speed up, rather than slow down the game. Opponents clearly haven't thought this through properly.

Alright let's not have a ref at all and make sure every decision is correct through replays and see if the game speeds up or slows down.

It's only going to be used for about 10, crucial, decisions a year in the Premiership.

And I don't know what the point of what you're suggesting is, as it clearly is nothing similar at all.

Guest gggg

How? if you introduce technology to prove/disprove incidents then the ref isnt going to be doing much is he?

How? if you introduce technology to prove/disprove incidents then the ref isnt going to be doing much is he?

You seem to overestimate what percentage of a referee's decisions are to do with the ball crossing the line or not.

You seem to overestimate what percentage of a referee's decisions are to do with the ball crossing the goal-line or not.

FYP.  ;)

Guest Verlaine

Additionally, the addition of technology that irrefutably proves/disproves an incident one way or the other would surely go some way to alleviating the antics of players nowadays, which would- one imagines- speed up, rather than slow down the game. Opponents clearly haven't thought this through properly.

Alright let's not have a ref at all and make sure every decision is correct through replays and see if the game speeds up or slows down.

If you can't read and apply simply logic, don't post.

If you can't read and apply simply logic, don't post.

Bugger off, I will post here as much as I wish!

:razz:

And in 1996-7 (I think), Everton would have been relegated rather than Bolton thanks to hawkeye.

That's what people like to say but they completely ignore the fact that Nathan Blake was fouling Big Nev when they "scored"

• 1 month later...

Anyone who was against this before still of the same opinion?

If I was a Fulham fan right now, I wouldn't be 'glad' of the post match debate whether or not the ball had crossed the line or grateful for the few seconds extra thanks to not stopping the game to find out whether a goal was a goal or not.

Anyone who was against this before still of the same opinion?

If I was a Fulham fan right now, I wouldn't be 'glad' of the post match debate whether or not the ball had crossed the line or grateful for the few seconds extra thanks to not stopping the game to find out whether a goal was a goal or not.

I reckon Hieldsy is probably content enough with it.  :lol:

Guest Mantis

Too many people wont want hawkeye as they prefer whinging about officials instead of looking closer at the players.  Football is one of the slowest sports to get with the times, mainly due to the ludites at Fifa.

Decisions in tennis are instant and it would be the same with football.  a couple of calls per game would take less time than it takes to deal with the crowd of players whinging around refs.

Should have been done years ago - too much at stake now if the ref/officials make a serious mistake with pens/goals that weren't etc(Schwartzer's thing against Fulham was a case in point - he clearly had the ball over the line when he caught it..).

It only takes a few secs for an official in the stands to see the vid replay & tell the ref over headphone that its a goal or not etc.

Can be replayed on stadium screens so fans KNOW that correct decision has been made - imagine if we were on the verge of winning FA Cup, and a similar incident to Schwartzers took place, and we ended up losing as Fulham did to Boro in the last few minutes..would you STILL say technology has no place in Football...!!??

Further to above posting, I reckon(controversy here) that the Football authorities have been against this for so long as it allows them to 'dictate' results in important games to a degree - remember the dodgy decisions in the 2002 WC, when S Korea were given benefit of Pens not given against Italy or Spain !??

They don't want a host nation going out of a tournament too soon or the revenue would dry up...

As it is, the Hawkeye will only cut out goal controversy - pens , offsides etc still remain the Refs decision and open to mistakes....

So what happens when Chelsea gets knocked out by Darlington (top of the league by the way) at the arena in the league cup to a suspect goal?

Do Chelsea, or any other PL club for that matter, have grounds to demand a rematch because Darlington being from the lower leagues can't afford and therefore don't have this technology and thus have been denied a goal that would have been given in the premier league because it is reliant upon hawk-eye technology?

It opens up too many cans of worms. You can just see people asking more and more from it as people expect answers. One has to remember football is a game of tactics and exploiting the rules anyway possible, of course inevitably it will stretch to any external technology used in the game.

Remember in cricket about 4 years ago when umpires refused to make a decision without first consulting the third umpire, it didn’t matter if it was blinding obvious – no-one wanted to be the umpire that got things wrong. It will get like that with football under the pressure of managers like Mourinho, taggart or Wenger because they know that by questioning everything, decisions eventually go in their favour - Chelsea penalty on Sunday anyone?

It all sounds good but it allows for further corruption if you ask me.

What's to stop one of these technoboffins in their photolabs 'moving' the ball a yard over the line if they support the opposition team? Or, worst case scenario, moving the ball right the way to the other end of the pitch, resulting in a goal to the opposition?

Tin hat on here but I'm against video technology.

Football has been for played well over a hundred years now in almost every continent, it was called the 'Beautiful Game' without video technology and I reckon it should stay that way. At least when something controversial happens we'll have something to discuss.

Not for me.

If football didn't evolve, you would probably still be trying to kick a decapitated head from Newcastle to Sunderland together with a few thoasand people.

It all sounds good but it allows for further corruption if you ask me.

What's to stop one of these technoboffins in their photolabs 'moving' the ball a yard over the line if they support the opposition team? Or, worst case scenario, moving the ball right the way to the other end of the pitch, resulting in a goal to the opposition?

:laugh:

So what happens when Chelsea gets knocked out by Darlington (top of the league by the way) at the arena in the league cup to a suspect goal?

Do Chelsea, or any other PL club for that matter, have grounds to demand a rematch because Darlington being from the lower leagues can't afford and therefore don't have this technology and thus have been denied a goal that would have been given in the premier league because it is reliant upon hawk-eye technology?

It opens up too many cans of worms. You can just see people asking more and more from it as people expect answers. One has to remember football is a game of tactics and exploiting the rules anyway possible, of course inevitably it will stretch to any external technology used in the game.

Remember in cricket about 4 years ago when umpires refused to make a decision without first consulting the third umpire, it didnt matter if it was blinding obvious no-one wanted to be the umpire that got things wrong. It will get like that with football under the pressure of managers like Mourinho, taggart or Wenger because they know that by questioning everything, decisions eventually go in their favour - Chelsea penalty on Sunday anyone?

howay another darlo lad are we? beyayve man! (darlo accent :razz: )

but yeah i think the goalline controversies add to the drama of football.. sure it's a annoying when the decision goes against your team, but the universe tends to have ways of evening itself out. now if you'll excuse me i have some meditating to do

Hope it comes into effect for goal line decisions and maybe whether or not a foul happened inside or outside the box. Not too bothered about the in/out thing but it is a must for goal line decisions. The Fulham decision cost me money with Skybet on Saturday. I feel robbed! I blame FIFA!