Sam wants 4 more defenders

SUPERTOON

Sam is gearing up for his patented flat back 9, all experts at intercepting and hoofing it to FatDuka

woopeee

Thats why he spent around £6m on Barton.

who will be in prison when the season starts

Of course that has lots of relevance to the signings Sam is making and how these form an idea of what sort of football he is looking to play.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Sam is gearing up for his patented flat back 9, all experts at intercepting and hoofing it to FatDuka

woopeee

Thats why he spent around £6m on Barton.

who will be in prison when the season starts

Of course that has lots of relevance to the signings Sam is making and how these form an idea of what sort of football he is looking to play.

yes, yes it does

Can someone summarise the Luque points/video for me?

Thanks.

He said:

"Albert is lucky to be a footballer, but because so much money has been spent on him and that no one wants him i've decided i'll give him a shot as no one else will. Its tough being a football manager, but people expect miracles, and turning Albert Luque into a playable footballer, well, its a good job my best friend is David Blaine"

you are joking? he wouldnt actually say that surely?

Guest Ebolarama

Thanks.

He said:

"Albert is lucky to be a footballer, but because so much money has been spent on him and that no one wants him i've decided i'll give him a shot as no one else will. Its tough being a football manager, but people expect miracles, and turning Albert Luque into a playable footballer, well, its a good job my best friend is David Blaine"

Too right he did. He also punched a hole through Luque's bowler hat and kicked muddy rainwater all over his longcoat.

Thanks.

He said:

Too right he did. He also punched a hole through Luque's bowler hat and kicked muddy rainwater all over his longcoat.

:laugh:

1 LB, 2 CB's and 1 RB will be my guess for what Sam wants.

What we'll actually get is, of course, a completely different matter.

For him to say we need "4 more defenders" means that he either doesn't see Solano/Geremi as defenders or that he intends to either sell Carr and/or Babayaro and/or loan out Ramage/Huntington/Edgar, etc.

Depending on how you look at it, we've either got 5 or 7 senior "defenders" at the moment: Carr, (Geremi, Solano), Ramage, Rozehnal, Taylor and Babayaro.

We could get away with 2/3 I'd reckon, if Sam is going to do what we expect and reduce the injuries.

Obviously we need at least another left-back and another centre-half, but right-back looks fairly well-covered to me.

Guest Verlaine

Carr, Taylor, Nobby and Geremi could all play RB so yeah a top LB and a top CB are needed before a RB.

None of those are 'top' RBs though. So you could argue that, whilst we have good cover at RB, we still need a top one.

Fkn right we need 4 more  :thup:

Carr

Nobby

Geremi

Taylor

Rozehnal

Ramage

Edgar

Huntington

Babayaro

Either not good enough or too young to rely on and should be loaned out.

Carr, Taylor, Nobby and Geremi could all play RB so yeah a top LB and a top CB are needed before a RB.

None of those are 'top' RBs though. So you could argue that, whilst we have good cover at RB, we still need a top one.

Agree. I think Geremi should be fighting a top quality RB this season while Nobby remains backup for Milner down the right wing.

Carr

Nobby

Geremi

Taylor

Rozehnal

Ramage

Edgar

Huntington

Babayaro

Aye. Even if we signed a left back we'd still be desperately short of good players to cover. Roeder thought we'd be ok with just Taylor, Bramble, Moore and Ramage last season but there were times when all 4 were injured at the same time. Very risky and i'm glad Allardyce is aware of it.

Christ, Roeder was such a mong. :lol:

Carr

Nobby

Geremi

Taylor

Rozehnal

Ramage

Edgar

Huntington

Babayaro

Aye. Even if we signed a left back we'd still be desperately short of good players to cover. Roeder thought we'd be ok with just Taylor, Bramble, Moore and Ramage last season but there were times when all 4 were injured at the same time. Very risky and i'm glad Allardyce is aware of it.

Christ, Roeder was such a mong. :lol:

bluelaugh.gif

Made me chuckle.

We have the perfect chance to overhaul the defense properly. Spend £20-30m on it and let it settle for next year when we attempt to go into Europe. 2LBs, 2RBs & 4 CBs at a minimum, right now we have 2CB's in Taylor & Rozy, & 1 RB in Geremi.

We could get away with one more LB but the same problems will remain when injuries kick in. I'd like to see Babayaro & Carr forced out of the club permanently and for us to but that horrible era behind us. The academy lads can remain as the backup of backup, maybe sending Hunty & Edgar out on loan if we sign well. Ramage we should look at selling this time next year.

Completely agree

If there's one area we can "make do" in it's right back.

We must get two centre backs and a left back though, anything less just isn't good enough and we'll pay for it in points next season.

i think we only need one centre back and a left back

right back position is fine

You're happy with Ramage as 4th choice? One injury and he's on the bench, two and he's in the team? He's well out of his depth at this level and will cost us points.

If we're not totally skint then we should be going all out to get two more central defenders. Let's not forget we let three CB's go this summer.

We need (as Sam himself has said) two good players for every position.

This means that defensively (including the goalkeeping position) we should have 10 good first-team quality (ideally 'better' than other teams have) players available, to cover injuries and suspensions. The situation. at present, is (in my opinion) as I wrote on another thread some time ago:

GOALKEEPER - 2 (Given/Harper, so NONE needed)

CENTRE BACK (A) - 1 (Taylor, so ONE needed)

CENTRE BACK (B) - 1 (Rozenhal, so ONE needed)

RIGHT BACK - 1 (Geremi, so ONE needed)

LEFT BACK - 0 (so TWO needed)

So  -  we still need to acquire a total of FIVE new, top quality, defenders (in my view).