David Beckham

NSG

Ok a guy at my work who admittedly knows nothing about "soccer" excepted that beckham plays it and there's a world cup every few years, asked that if there was a draft of every player in the world based entirely on skill and ability and not on shirt sales or sponsership deals, what number would Beckham be drafted?  A typical American question, but I wanted to see what people thought.

Ok a guy at my work who admittedly knows nothing about "soccer" excepted that beckham plays it and there's a world cup every few years, asked that if there was a draft of every player in the world based entirely on skill and ability and not on shirt sales or sponsership deals, what number would Beckham be drafted?  A typical American question, but I wanted to see what people thought.

If we're taking age into account, he wouldn't be drafted for a long, long time.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I think Beckham can give the game a lot of publicity over there but he won't be around long enough to make a difference. He's 32 and nearing retirement, he's got three seasons maximum and that's nothing when you think about it.

If football is going to take off in the US, it needs a large number of high profile players moving over at a younger age and that's not going to happen. Besides, American Football, Basketball and Baseball will all do their best to make sure "soccer" doesn't take off.

I'm not all that sure I want football to take off in the States because I don't want them ruining the beautiful game. The vast majority of Americans know very little about "soccer" and have even less appreciation of how deeply ingrained it is in many cultures around the world.

Think Beckham could compete in the league until he's nearly 40 tbh

At the same time they bought Beckham, LA Galaxy have gone and bought Abel Xavier.

Just about tells you the standard in the MLS.

Werent they even allowing anyone to walk in off the street to go and have a trial. I even saw a story that they (hopefully tongue in cheek) thought that Dec was worth a trial because he looked ok at a celebrity charity game.... for fucks sake man, what kind of league is this ????

I couldn't even tell you who the best American Footballer is, and if he arrived over here to play I wouldn't have a clue, nor care less. Can't blame Americans if they feel the same here.

You mean Gridiron opposed to Soccer, right?

I couldn't even tell you who the best American Footballer is, and if he arrived over here to play I wouldn't have a clue, nor care less. Can't blame Americans if they feel the same here.

You mean Gridiron opposed to Soccer, right?

Think he does.

LaDanian Tomlinson is probably the best "Gridiron" player right now, if anyone cares.

Guest the_guv_nor

anyone watching BBC news 24??? Beckham is on live.... YANKS chanting theres only one david beckham!

Guest zerocipher

The problem in the MLS, is that there is some gifted players, that could mature into stars. But they will never get that chance because they are playing in the US. The coaching and training over here has a long time to go before it helps players mature well.

But footy has experienced a resurgence here in the US. Some of the teams have their own pitches, which has never happened over here. There is a good chance that it could finally take off this time, if for nothng than alot of people are sick of the corruption in baseball and football.  That and the amount of imigrants that are here, are making it where 20-30k people make it to many MLS games between big teams.

Sold 4 million shirts already (pre-order)

£35 a pop!

Alexi Lalas has handled this very well tbf to him.

Anyone remember when we nearly signed him (and we pulled out) in the back of the ronnie gill it had 'there's only one beardo'

:lol:

Hard to see America producing any truly world class players anyway, as all the best athletes have a range of different "cooler" sports to choose from.

Who do you think shags more women in high school?

The quarterback of the football team or the captain of the soccer team?

Five Live say there are 700 journos and 11,000 fans there.

I trust the president of the Galaxy far far away over 5 live tbh ;)

Didn't hear him.

5k there.

This is crazy, he's naming all their legends that i've never heard of :lol: