The £7mill mystery stopper poll ?

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

on the other hand i'd rather bring a very good player in on august 31st than a poor one in tomorrow.

Well it's all ifs and maybes. We could sign a poor one on Aug 31st because we missed the boat and had to take what we could get.

We tried playing chicken with the deadline last summer and it left us in a right mess.

Yup. Not only did he not rule him out but he said he liked him as a player. i think there is a good chance of it happening.

I don't think we have time to wait around on the Heinze situation, we need a left back quickly because the season starts in 3 weeks and Babayaro won't be available. But we also need central defenders as the article acknowledges.

The only other "top class defender" who we've been linked with is indeed Barzagli.

on the other hand i'd rather bring a very good player in on august 31st than a poor one in tomorrow.

If we are bringing in a player who is not familiar with the premiership then we have to do so now I think. So they have a bit of time to adjust. We cannot afford to bring in any foreigners on the last day, particularly defenders, as it will only make things far more difficult for them. We cannot afford to be unstable defensively at the start of the season!

Yup. Not only did he not rule him out but he said he liked him as a player. i think there is a good chance of it happening.

I don't think we have time to wait around on the Heinze situation, we need a left back quickly because the season starts in 3 weeks and Babayaro won't be available. But we also need central defenders as the article acknowledges.

The only other "top class defender" who we've been linked with is indeed Barzagli.

If we are bringing in a player who is not familiar with the premiership then we have to do so now I think. So they have a bit of time to adjust. We cannot afford to bring in any foreigners on the last day, particularly defenders, as it will only make things far more difficult for them. We cannot afford to be unstable defensively at the start of the season!

you'd rather have leighton baines now than taiwo on august 31st ?

I'd rather have Taiwo now or Leighton Baines on August 31st rather than Taiwo on August 31st.

To be fair though I guess it depends on the type of plyer. I don't think Taiwo would need much time to adapt so I wouldn't mind him being brought in later like you say. However, someone like Barzagli I would not be happy to bring in on the last day especially if we then through him straight into the fire!

Don't know who Taiwo is but for argument's sake we could pay a bomb on august 31st for Baines because we missed out on Taiwo. Argument goes both ways.

I think last summer should serve as a strong reminder that if you try to play a game of brinkmanship with the transfer window you can get your fingers very badly burnt. Who wants to sell their player a week or a day before the window shuts? They won't have time to get a replacement, they'll either tell you to f*ck off or double their original asking price. Remember how we ended up with Sibierski, Rossi and Bernard on Aug 31st?

Don't know who Taiwo is but for argument's sake we could pay a bomb on august 31st for Baines because we missed out on Taiwo. Argument goes both ways.

I think last summer should serve as a strong reminder that if you try to play a game of brinkmanship with the transfer window you can get your fingers very badly burnt. Who wants to sell their player a week or a day before the window shuts? They won't have time to get a replacement, they'll either tell you to f*ck off or double their original asking price. Remember how we ended up with Sibierski, Rossi and Bernard on Aug 31st?

I actually can't believe this is happening again. We really cannot afford to start the season still looking for players. We should have everyone in by the 11th of August without fail.

As a matter of fact ideally we should have everyone in this coming week to at least give them all a couple of weeks to get familiar with each other before the season starts.

Unlike Roeder I don't believe Sam is giving the "let's be patient and it'll all turn out alright" line. Quite the opposite. His recent comments express frustration at the overcaution of the board and their inexperience and his failure to 'get players in for a medical'. This time last year Roeder was telling us to be patient and many actually believed it, yet he was still out scouting at the time.

I think Sam knows we have to act now, he's even said so himself, but it's just not working out for one reason or another. Hopefully we can make a breakthrough soon, it's not time to panic but Sam seems pretty concerned about it.

Unlike Roeder I don't believe Sam is giving the "let's be patient and it'll all turn out alright" line. Quite the opposite. His recent comments express frustration at the overcaution of the board and their inexperience and his failure to 'get players in for a medical'. This time last year Roeder was telling us to be patient and many actually believed it, yet he was still out scouting at the time.

I think Sam knows we have to act now, he's even said so himself, but it's just not working out for one reason or another. Hopefully we can make a breakthrough soon, it's not time to panic but Sam seems pretty concerned about it.

Yeah I agree. I wasn't aiming what i said at Allardyce at all, more at the board to be honest. Although I do think they will come good (fingers crossed!) I would love to see us wrap up all our signings this coming week/early next week.

Just remembered Marquez at Barcelona ... might be another possibility as I think I recall some quotes from Barcelona that he was expendable. They've just signed Milito too.

We need at least 3 more defenders, i would have said 2 center backs and a left back although the injury to Babayaro has given us major problems and we'll no doubt need 2 now. I'm not at all panicking yet, it's quite refreshing to see Sam frustrated that he hasn't got more players in with more than a month to go in the window, i think if we got a couple of defenders in before the season starts we could make do till the end of the window, by the end of the window i still expect at least 3 new defenders to be here.

Guest nufcfan76

"Same old NUFC when it comes to signing important defenders."

Truer words never spoken. Though I hope it's Gabby, I'd also gladly take the rest over Babs. Whomever it may be it should be done shortly so as our defenders have as much time to gel as possible.

i voted heinze but i'm really not sure who big sam is thinking about! hopefully not quedrue at that price. hopefully it will be someone who will actually make us better as i dont think wes brown etc can do that!

The only other "top class defender" who we've been linked with is indeed Barzagli. Given he's on the fringes of the Italy defence I'd be pretty excited if it was him.

Not to mention that Palermo have stated that he is on the transfer market and has been for a while!

Thought they wanted 11m for him, though?

Guest Gav H

It will be Heinze but he will go to one of the Italian clubs.

Incidently I'd love us to sign Heinze as it would mean that the mackems would then stop eating beans out of protest.  :celb:

i think Heinze because if bbc sport says Liverpool for £7million

we might actually be in there for £7million aswell and might snatch him from Liverpool