Pre-Season Friendly Thread

Kev

Fully expect another CD, probably Curtis Davies, to join Dawson, King, Kaboul, Rocha, Gardner, Dervite etc etc before the window closes.

:lol:

He's not a WUM, honest! :lol:

The Baggies have signed Bostjan Cesar on a season long loan with a view to a permanent transfer.  Think the papers tomorrow will be running a 'come and get me' story from Davies and his agent.  Not saying Spurs will sign him, but we are trying.

Honest!

Fully expect another CD, probably Curtis Davies, to join Dawson, King, Kaboul, Rocha, Gardner, Dervite etc etc before the window closes.

:lol:

He's not a WUM, honest! :lol:

The Baggies have signed Bostjan Cesar on a season long loan with a view to a permanent transfer.  Think the papers tomorrow will be running a 'come and get me' story from Davies and his agent.  Not saying Spurs will sign him, but we are trying.

Honest!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/2007/08/03/let-curt-out-of-the-bagg-plea-89520-19564240/

'Let Curt out of the Bagg' plea

EXCLUSIVE

By James Nursey 03/08/2007

Curtis DAVIES last night pleaded with West Brom to grant him a dream return to the Premiership with Tottenham.

The £7million-rated centre-back, 22, is desperate to quit Albion following the club's defeat in the Championship play-off final to Derby.

Davies, signed from Luton in August 2005 for £3m, has given up the captaincy at The Hawthorns and had a transfer request rejected.

Advertisement

The defender, who starred for Albion in the top-flight in 2005/2006, is anxious to emulate his former teammates Diomansy Kamara, Jason Koumas and Paul McShane, who left West Brom this summer for Premiership sides Fulham, Wigan and Sunderland respectively.

Tottenham are trying to agree a fee with Albion for the England Under-21 star who admits the prospect of moving to White Hart Lane and challenging for Champions League football is irresistible.

"Spurs are a good club and with the signings they have made they could break into the top four," said Davies, whose family live in Chingford near Tottenham's training ground.

"They are renowned for signing young British talent and I have some friends there like Tom Huddlestone and Aaron Lennon.

"Hopefully West Brom can agree a deal for me with them or another club and we can sort things out amicably.

"If we had gone up I guess I wouldn't be asking for a move but I need to look after myself and move for the sake of my career.

"I can't afford to fall any further behind the other young English defenders like Steven Taylor, Anton Ferdinand, Michael Dawson and Nedum Onuoha by playing in the Championship for another season.

"I am really hoping to get a move back to the Premiership so I can make my mark at that level again against the big name players.

"Diomansy, Jason Koumas and Macca have got their moves and when I look at them I am envious."

Spurs have been unable to agree a fee with Albion despite Baggies boss Tony Mowbray signing Leon Barnett and Marseille defender Bostjan Cesar to bolster their defence.

The clubs are still miles apart on his valuation though at the present time.

Why are all the italians over here?

Tottenham v Torino

Newcastle v Sampdoria

Sunderland v Juventus

West Ham v Roma

Aston Villa v Inter Milan

The Romans are invading again...

Why are all the italians over here?

Tottenham v Torino

Newcastle v Sampdoria

Sunderland v Juventus

West Ham v Roma

Aston Villa v Inter Milan

The Romans are invading again...

They want to see what its like to play in front of crowds.

It was more the boasting about the defenders you already have that made me chuckle.

I was no more boasting about Rocha or Gardner than any Newcastle fan would have done about Bramble last season.  Looking at them for just a short period will display their defensive frailties, although I do accept that more cover is needed with King's and Dervite's injury concerns.

It's more the irony of lining up yet another central defender while we've only been waiting for someone to fill LM for the last 3 years.

City just got beat 1-0 by Valencia  :-[

First time I've actually been able to see us play for 90 mins this pre-seaon. Held our own in the main, played some nice football but were undone a by a poor backpass.

We went:

Schmiechel

Onuoha Richards Dunne Garrido

Johnson Fernandes

Elano Ireland Petrov

Bianchi

Playing Onuoha at RB I assume means that Richards will stay in the middle this season and Corluka will be our new right back. Wouldn't have agreed with that this morning but Richards played well (He's far too powerful for these latin woofters, he'd absolutely piss it in La Liga), looks like some hard work has been done on the training ground.

First time I've ever seen Javi Garrido, he looks a decent prospect. Obviously playing against spanish opposition would have helped him, not exactly a baptism of fire but he aquited himself well up against Joaquin. Pretty big, athletic, decent footballer etc. Not a  bad start.

Gelson and Johnson in the middle, naive as owt. This is the big problem area right now. Alright when we've got it (Johnson smacked the bar from 25) but Valencia passed thru them at will really. We're desperate for a bit of experience in there - preferably not in the form of a washed up no-hoper like Hamann. Fortunate that there are next to no teams in the premiership who will play in the same style as Valencia, or at the same level - Don't enjoy watching us chase shadows.

Elano - absolute fucking class. Ball on a string. Only played 45 mins unfortunately as he's behind in terms of fitness having only just turned up but I have high hopes. Geovanni came on for him at HT, he was better than I thought he'd be. Don't really expect much from a free transfer on a 1 year contract but he looks a tidy player (Well, he is Brazillian).

This bloke called "Ireland" played in the attacking midfield role. Never seen him before but he looks just like how Steven Ireland would look if he had hair. :hmm: Probably getting dropped for Bojinov if we keep this system.

Petrov looks a good player, quick as owt obviously, unfortunately he doesn't look the best crosser I've ever seen. Not bad when he's stood still...Some absolute beauties...but some absolute mingers served up an all. Price you pay for hitting it while running at pace I guess.

Bianchi...meh...he was a bit isolated but I'm not convinced. Hit the bar with a good header but got his studs caught in the turf when he had his best chance...Few nice touches and shit but he doesn't look owt special.

Decent game anyway, good to see us playing football again instead of the shambolic attempt at Volleyball attempted by the last muppet. Few teething problems tho, few moves breaking down due to not reading each other and the like, and some hilarious misunderstandings from the new players...playing a 1-2 with Hamann, playing a ball behind the back for Corradi to run onto...lolz  :laugh:

Watched the game on a Spanish feed (The commentators pronounced Onuoha "Onwarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"  :laugh:) but apparently during their coverage the local BBC radio mob reported 3 more signings next week - One of which is a goalkeeper (The only names that have been linked AFAIK are Scott Carson and an Italian fella called Amelia), another of which I presume is Bresciano, and one more mystery man which I hope is Diego...altho its probably not.

Just been to watch the lads from the academy v Consett.  Consett absolutely dominated the game and won 5-1.  The academy players didn't look interested one bit and I find this quite worrying for the future.  I know these are young lads trying to make a name for theirselves but this was Consett's 3rd string FFS - at least try to look interested.

I'm just back from watching us beat Inter 3-0. Nice to have a preseason friendly at home - our first in 12 fucking years, believe it or not. You could tell Inter are a way off full fitness, mind. Although it didn't stop them beating Man United the other day.

We look fucking excellent coming forward, NRC was very good, protected the back four, kept play moving and let Petrov move forward. Ashley Young was very lively again and with him, Agbonlahor and Moore, we're very mobile up front. Barry was superb, as he always is.

We still look shaky at the back, mind, so I want to see some investment there. Rumours abound of a Jol-busting deal in place for Curtis Davies. A RB would be nice, too.

Ibrahimovic is a mentalist, by the way.

Guy on SSN who was watching your game brummie said Ibra was shocking and didn't require his kit washing because he'd done fuck all. Also sais you ended up with Osborne and Barry as your centre halves, which highlights your lack of numbers a tad.

I think Hangeland will be one, and wouldn't bet against Bosingwa coming in too, with Davies an outside chance. We need a keeper, though, Stuart Taylor is s****.

On Five Live earlier today, a Scottish journalist reckoned Villa could go for Craig Gordon.