Newcastle 4 - 1 Celtic (friendly) - Post match thoughts from page 29

Karjala
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Allardyce bigging up Luque on the official site saying he wanted both Luque and Eto'o when they were at Mallorca but he couldn't afford them

Said they were trying to get Luque fit which would help him mentally. Apparently Luque is currently playing with pain!

So a lame (literally!) striker put two past Celtic  :laugh:

imagine how f***** he was when he scored past the mackems ?

True!  ;D

Guest Knightrider

Most pleasing thing for me was the style of football we played at times which was very good. Apparently we've played some good stuff all season too, so it all bodes well. Certainly wasn't Wimbledon out there or even Bolton.

BTW Celtic... they would be humiliated week in week out in the Premiership, not one of their players would get into our firs-team and to be honest, I wouldn't take any for the squad.

Good games from the new boys and Luque looked much more committed and quicker, although that strength required is still missing, took his goals well too and proved himself handy in the air, something I think he could shock a few people with if he is to come good. Good to read Sam's post-match comments about him. Can't see him getting the Roeder treatment under Sam somehow.

Anyway, all in all a good game and if we do sign a few quality defenders and get some of those injured players back, we'll be OK.

Juventus will provide a sterner test though.

That's the thing, we have a very good squad IMO except for a few defenders, they really could make or break our season depending on who we get in.

Agreed. Without, Sam will make us hard to beat still, but a bit of quality back there could make all the difference.

We actually played quite well tonight, with a bit of luck the injuries will turn out to be niggles and nothing more.  Things don't look as bad as some were suggesting, we're not far off being a usefull team this season, yes we need defenders but we have the makings of a good season ahead of us if we can get the right people in.  A bonus for me was the way Geremi played and Trotski looked comfortable on the ball.  Carr was crap at times, especially in the second half, he's going to be a massive liability if we're using him in the Premiership. 

I'm not sure how good or bad Celtic are but they put up a good fight in as much as the game was more like a league game than a friendly, the players who didn't get injured will be fitter for playing at that pace.

Most pleasing thing for me was the style of football we played at times which was very good. Apparently we've played some good stuff all season too, so it all bodes well. Certainly wasn't Wimbledon out there or even Bolton.

BTW Celtic... they would be humiliated week in week out in the Premiership, not one of their players would get into our firs-team and to be honest, I wouldn't take any for the squad.

Good games from the new boys and Luque looked much more committed and quicker, although that strength required is still missing, took his goals well too and proved himself handy in the air, something I think he could shock a few people with if he is to come good. Good to read Sam's post-match comments about him. Can't see him getting the Roeder treatment under Sam somehow.

Anyway, all in all a good game and if we do sign a few quality defenders and get some of those injured players back, we'll be OK.

That's the thing, we have a very good squad IMO except for a few defenders, they really could make or break our season depending on who we get in.

Agreed. Without, Sam will make us hard to beat still, but a bit of quality back there could make all the difference.

I thought we were quite hard to break down under Roeder if I'm being honest, the wingers helped the fullbacks and the CM's dropped back to help the CB's, everyone seemed to work hard for each other (up until we lost to AZ) but that lack of quality meant that we were being punished for individual errors.

I do think this Rozenhal fella looks a good player though.

Guest Knightrider

I thought we were quite hard to break down under Roeder if I'm being honest, the wingers helped the fullbacks and the CM's dropped back to help the CB's, everyone seemed to work hard for each other (up until we lost to AZ) but that lack of quality meant that we were being punished for individual errors.

I do think this Rozenhal fella looks a good player though.

Agreed on both counts, but the individual errors, or most of them, I saw that as a result of a breakdown in the shape of the team, general organisation and tactics, especially from set play, which Sam will look to eradicate regardless of who comes in, so in that sense we'll be a lot tougher to break down. Sam is also the kind of manager who really does build from the back, he doesn't think goals win you games, he thinks clean sheets do so if he doesn't sign quality defenders like he hopes to, he'll tinker with the attacking play to bolster the defence. This could mean a shift in formation or tactics, i.e. one up front.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not going to cut my wrists if we don't sign these quality defenders, because Bolton didn't exactly have world beaters at the back either.

Spurs finished 5th last season having conceded just 6 goals less than us, and we were defensively shocking at times in terms of organisation, discipline, set play and tactics - areas Big Sam is strong in.

Guest optimistic nit

I think people overated geremi's performance. Butt and Solano did better imo. he was good, but he didn't do as much as those 2 while they were on.

Sam is also the kind of manager who really does build from the back, he doesn't think goals win you games, he thinks clean sheets do so if he doesn't sign quality defenders like he hopes to, he'll tinker with the attacking play to bolster the defence. This could mean a shift in formation or tactics, i.e. one up front.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1074724,00.html

"It's been a long wait for Michael and Shola. He has been out with that hip injury for a long time as well.

"We just hope we keep them fit and get them fitter and stronger as pre-season goes on because they are a handful for anybody in the Premier League if they are firing on all cylinders, certainly with their finishing qualities.

"That give us options for goals. That's what you need to win football matches."

;)

I think people overated geremi's performance. Butt and Solano did better imo. he was good, but he didn't do as much as those 2 while they were on.

Solano was outstanding today.

Its criminal how underrated he has been over his career imo. Would imagine a 26 year old Solano would be worth a pretty penny these days!

Guest Knightrider

Sam is also the kind of manager who really does build from the back, he doesn't think goals win you games, he thinks clean sheets do so if he doesn't sign quality defenders like he hopes to, he'll tinker with the attacking play to bolster the defence. This could mean a shift in formation or tactics, i.e. one up front.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1074724,00.html

"It's been a long wait for Michael and Shola. He has been out with that hip injury for a long time as well.

"We just hope we keep them fit and get them fitter and stronger as pre-season goes on because they are a handful for anybody in the Premier League if they are firing on all cylinders, certainly with their finishing qualities.

"That give us options for goals. That's what you need to win football matches."

;)

Busted.

Bastid.

Guest newcastle4life

Good result even if its a friendly know Big sam needs to bring some more players in.

Its criminal how underrated he has been over his career imo. Would imagine a 26 year old Solano would be worth a pretty penny these days!

very poor season and a half before he went to villa and often suspect away.

he is underated though,in the right team (could have built onthe ljungberg role at arsenal,with more vision and better distribution)coulsd have been a national star instead of a local one.

Nobby has probably been my favourite player since he joined us, he's getting on now but he's still the cleverest footballer at our club by a country mile, I’ll be gutted when he does go, I would hope that with him we can find a job for the boys because he’s got loads of skill to pass on to others.

very poor season and a half before he went to villa and often suspect away.

he is underated though,in the right team (could have built onthe ljungberg role at arsenal,with more vision and better distribution)coulsd have been a national star instead of a local one.

Bobby pissed him about, he was an easy target to bring off, no wonder his head dropped at times.

Nobby has probably been my favourite player since he joined us, he's getting on now but he's still the cleverest footballer at our club by a country mile, I’ll be gutted when he does go, I would hope that with him we can find a job for the boys because he’s got loads of skill to pass on to others.

sure i read an interview with him recently about managemnet and he wants to manage back in peru..............who knows after shearer though,then he can go on the the peru national team.

Great win from the boys.

Really happy to see Luque nab 2 goals, apparently his performance was top class as well.

Martins looked lively, nice passing and a neat finish with his right foot.

What was our defence like? I've read a few articles and a few say they were a bit shaky but others say they were solid?

Guest MrShens

Really enjoyed the match, except for the smackheads sitting a few rows down from us causing trouble.

Rozenhal was fantastic, I actually really enjoyed watching him on the ball and he's super smooth.  I think he'll do just fine this season.  Geremi also showed some real class which I was very happy with.

Albert Luque though - even though he scored twice (both easy tap ins), was terrible imo.  No wonder no-one ran over to him when he scored, unlike Oba / Milner where the rest of the team were all over them.

Steven Carr must also be mentioned for how dire he was, Huntington too, awful.

Great win from the boys.

Really happy to see Luque nab 2 goals, apparently his performance was top class as well.

What was our defence like? I've read a few articles and a few say they were a bit shaky but others say they were solid?

I thought our defence was OK while Rozenhal was on the pitch then I thought we were a bit Shaky, Huntington give me no confidence at all.

Great win from the boys.

Really wasn't, he did ok and his movement for the goals was excellent but he lost the ball on a number of occasions and didn't do all that much.

Our defence was shaky at times, Hunts seemed to do well at the start getting a few important challenges in when the rest of the defence went awol but then his performance slumped, Rozenhal looked very calm and used the ball well, Ramage was "ok" and I was quite impressed with Carr on the whole although we did get a bit of a raping down the right side during periods of the second half.

Really enjoyed the match, except for the smackheads sitting a few rows down from us causing trouble.

Rozenhal was fantastic, I actually really enjoyed watching him on the ball and he's super smooth.  I think he'll do just fine this season.  Geremi also showed some real class which I was very happy with.

Albert Luque though - even though he scored twice (both easy tap ins), was terrible imo.  No wonder no-one ran over to him when he scored, unlike Oba / Milner where the rest of the team were all over them.

You can have a go at Luque all you want, if he keeps scoring goals then that's good enough for me, he'll probably develop his game if he gets something like a run in the team.

Sunday couldn't come quicker..! will be really intrested to see how we will play against a world-class side such as Juve, would love to see Luque slotting one home against Buffon (Being too optimistic?) :D

juve are not a world class side and world class sides are not world class sides in friendlies.

You can have a go at Luque all you want, if he keeps scoring goals then that's good enough for me, he'll probably develop his game if he gets something like a run in the team.

i remember 2 years ago when Shearer did nothing for 5 games then got a tap-in and everyone was applauding him, pathetic

if someone has scored two goals in a game then cannot be terrible, no matter how little impact they've had on the rest of the game