Mort is new Chairman - Shepherd leaves

lovejoy

Has Houllier got a new job yet? Think he could do a good job as DoF.

Can't see Allardyce being particularly chuffed with that tbh. Doesn't mean that I don't think we need someone to do a DoF type role at the club but I'm just not sure Allardyce would welcome it. In fact, I think he'd probably see it as a threat/sleight on his ability to organise the football side of the show.

At least legally Mort will know what he's doing.

Someone with footballing experience in the DOF role would be great now, but even after that i think one or two more men on board wouldn't do us any harm.

For so long we've had a team of yes men, lets hope the new decisions up at board level are to bring in some strong personalities who'll bring different ways of thinking.

He is taking through his arse anyway. Every biotech company is headed up by Lawyers just as a simple example. To say a lawyer by defintion doesnt make a good chairman is nonsense.

Company leaders can come from anywhere, finance, marketing, sales, HR or even legal.

He didn't say that a lawyer can't be a good chairman.  He said that being a lawyer doesn't necessarily lend itself to being a good company chairman, especially at a Football club.

I was assured by a number of people the other day that Mort was only here for a sabbatical and wouldn't take over from Shepherd permanently. Didn't take long to prove them wrong. Can't say I'm overly excited by having a laywer (!) as our new chairman..

Can't say you're excited that someone who knows what he's doing has been appointed?

He knows what he's doing in a law farm, not a football club. Surely you recognise there is a subtle difference?

As far as the chairman is concerned, the club is a business, just like everywhere else. Sam Allardyce is in charge of the footballing side.

Even if you think that, a lawyer is not by definition a good chairman of a company? Again, there is a subtle difference..

He's a man that a Billionaire has been working with all his life, got to say I trust his opinion over yours :thup:

He is taking through his arse anyway. Every biotech company is headed up by Lawyers just as a simple example. To say a lawyer by defintion doesnt make a good chairman is nonsense.

Company leaders can come from anywhere, finance, marketing, sales, HR or even legal.

What a load of rubbish..

I said: "a lawyer is not by definition a good chairman of a company"

You say I said: "To say a lawyer by defintion doesnt make a good chairman is nonsense."

Who's talking through their arse?

Guest WalkervilleMag

Director of Football has never worked, anywhere,  just unsettles the manager, and in turn confuses players and fans.

The proof will be in the pudding. We're all happy to see Shepherd gone but we've got a total unknown (in football terms) coming in as a replacement. I'll be excited when I see positive strides being made by the new order, until then it's a case of wait and see.

Guest Toon83

David Dein anyone?

He was linked with us when Shepherd was in charge and apparently turned us down, but now that Mort and the new regime is in place with full ownership of the club, then Dein would be a great choice

David Dein anyone?

He was linked with us when Shepherd was in charge and apparently turned us down, but now that Mort and the new regime is in place with full ownership of the club, then Dein would be a great choice

My guess is Dein is waiting until the Arsenal takeover is complete by the yank as he was a supporter of the yank takeover, and why he fell out with the Arsenal board.

David Dein anyone?

David Dein still has his eyes on Arsenal by the looks of it.

David Dein anyone?

My guess is Dein is waiting until the Arsenal takeover is complete by the yank as he was a supporter of the yank takeover, and why he fell out with the Arsenal board.

The latest name is Bernie Ecclestone for Arsenal.

David Dein anyone?

The latest name is Bernie Ecclestone for Arsenal.

Has more money than the yank as well. But if you know F1, you'll know why Bernie isn't such a great option to go with.

Guest Knightrider

YES :lol:

This to me suggests the review is complete or near enough complete, and we should see things moving quicker from now on. As for Mort, his intelligence will see him through, most of football is common sense, something FS lacked. Apply that and he'd be alright. Happy, me? Fuking delighted. Good riddance fat man.

This to me suggests the review is complete or near enough complete, and we should see things moving quicker from now on. As for Mort, his intelligence will see him through, most of football is common sense, something FS lacked. Apply that and he'd be alright. Happy, me? Fuking delighted. Good riddance fat man.

blueyes.gif  blueyes.gif  blueyes.gif

Reportedly Dein already turned Ashley down regarding coming here.

The main reason Director of Football hasnt worked is because the guy brought in is an old buddy of the manager and not the best person for the job or more commonly brought in by the board without consulting the manager.

The roles of the DOF differ from club to club also. They (like the board and anyone else at the club) have to be on the same page as everyone else, especially the manager. Otherwise they can undermine or conflict with the manager.

If we bring anyone in at that role, it has to be someone that can work alongside BSA. I think its more likely there will be a position created for someone that can deal with transfers  ( and do the job Freddie was alledgedly doing)whether its a "Director of Football" I dont know.

Allardyce had the set up differently at Bolton, breaking the DOF roles down through a plethera of scouts and several different staff. Although Gartside played a big part in signings, something Mort/Ashley probably wont so much.

I thought part of the DOF role was also taken by Mike Forde at Bolton?

Plenty of lawyers and other "intelligent" men in football mate, some of them very rich too, not too many of them matched our ex board though. Success in football will only come if you are ambitious and are courageous enough to spend big money, if you don't do this, you will never get it. You haven't a cat in hells chance.

Would be wise to exercise a bit of caution and wait and see, I think.

Guest Knightrider

Didn't Big Sam have a Technical Director at Bolton, is that the same as a Director of Football?