Mort: New signings on the way

NSG

Mort: New signings on the way    Link

TOON chairman Chris Mort today hailed the beginning of a bright future at St James’ Park.

In an exclusive interview with the Chronicle, the 41-year-old said his appointment marked the beginning of a new era for Newcastle United.

And Mr Mort promised there would be signings at St James’ Park in the next three weeks before the start of the season.

He was appointed chairman yesterday after Freddy Shepherd ended his 10-year reign at the top.

Mr Mort said today: “This is clearly a new start for the club, the beginning of a new era. I think people have been anticipating it.

“We have been through a period of transition. It has been helpful to keep Freddy Shepherd and the Halls involved up to now.

“They have been offering help in the transition period.

“Now we have a home friendly on Thursday night and a big build-up to the new season, so it felt like the right time to make this decision.”

Also speaking exclusively to the Chronicle, Freddy Shepherd said today: “The time was right for me to go. My big regret was that I didn’t give the fans a trophy.”

Mr Mort said Toon fans can expect to see further new signings at St James’ Park to join Mark Viduka, Joey Barton, David Rozehnal and Geremi who have already joined this summer.

Mr Mort said he and manager Sam Allardyce have several specific targets they hope to sign before the start of the new season.

He said: “We have said throughout that the squad needs to be strengthened, particularly in defence.

“We will not be throwing silly amounts of money around, but Sam and I are definitely in agreement that we need more signings before the start of the season.

“We are talking about a few specific targets. We want players with Premiership experience. We want to get the right people through the door.”

He added: “As for the stadium plans it is still early days and our main focus right now is on the playing side and getting that right.

“The stadium is something we will look at more closely in the future. It is one of the many assets we have to look at how we can best progress at the club.”

Mr Mort reiterated that last week’s police raids on St James’ Park had nothing to do with Newcastle United.

He said: “The press release we put out following the police investigation last week was cleared with the City of London Police. The club is not the subject of an investigation. The police see us more as a potential victim.”

The new Toon supremo said he was pleased with what he had seen around the club so far and that he was delighted with how well season ticket sales are going.

He added he was looking forward to tomorrow’s home friendly against Celtic and his first taste of the St James’ Park atmosphere.

He said: “Season ticket sales are going really well. Everything is looking good. Pre-season friendlies are very much an exercise, whether you win or lose. But we have home games coming up, exciting games to really look forward to.

“For tomorrow night’s match with Celtic we are offering free tickets for under-11s who are accompanied by an adult. Two under-11s can get in free with a paying adult.”

In a statement released by Newcastle United last night announcing his appointment as chairman, Mr Mort thanked Mr Shepherd for all he had done for the club over the last 15 years. He added: “I am delighted to become chairman of such a fabulous club. Since arriving at St James’ Park I have been hugely encouraged by the warm welcome I have received from so many supporters.

“The strategic review of the club is going well and, with the new season fast approaching, we feel the time is right to make this change.

“I would like to thank Freddy Shepherd for all he has done for the club over the last 15 years.”

Mr Mort is a top London lawyer with a history of working on high-profile sports and leisure deals.

He is co-head of the leisure division at law firm Freshfield Bruckhaus Deringer.

He worked on the high-profile takeover of Formula One motor racing in November 2005 and has assisted Mike Ashley with his Sports Direct business in the past.

The 41-year-old grew up in Wales and then moved to North London. He has taken an indefinite leave of absence to run United.

Lets see them then.

About fuking time something positive is coming out of the new setup. Id the review complete now then?

Only released since SA forced his hand in that interview yesterday, lets hope he's right a new beginning, and new players for the start of the season.

Also very glad to hear the stadium expansion is still in their plans, even if its been put on the back burner, in fact, thats exactly the right thing to do right now.

The 41-year-old grew up in Wales and then moved to North London. He has taken an indefinite leave of absence to run United.

The answer to the how long question.

First it was said he'd took a sabbatical, now its an indefinite leave of absence.  I suppose this is a case of plans being changed after Dein turned us down..

Anyway, good to hear something from him.

Guest DavB93

First it was said he'd took a sabbatical, now its an indefinite leave of absence.  I suppose this is a case of plans being changed after Dein turned us down..

Dein turned us down? Did he tell you that?

Dein did turn us down..

Dein did turn us down..

Am i the ONLY person he didn't tell??

Dein did turn us down..

Nope, he failed to mention it to me over morning coffee.

Its been mentioned in many articles from pretty reliable writers if I remember correctly.  It doesn't suprise me either.  He's the best available choice to go for, but with Kroenke looking like he'll win the takeover battle he was never going to agree to a job anywhere at the moment.

Guest DavB93

No. Dein ALLEDGEDLY turned us down. ALLEDGEGLY

Turned Man City down too plus another PL club.

Allegedly ;)

Not what they said on Sky Sports News last night.

Dein did turn us down..

Nope, he failed to mention it to me over morning coffee.

you're so not-in-the-loop.

Guest DavB93

No. Dein ALLEDGEDLY turned us down. ALLEDGEGLY

Turned Man City down too plus another PL club.

Allegedly ;)

Not what they said on Sky Sports News last night.

oh, so it MUST be true then.

There alot more realible than other sources, plus like the other poster says it's in the mail naming all three.