Mort: New signings on the way

NSG

Its all his money now.  He'll put in the amount needed to improve the club and make it successful.  Otherwise his initial £140 million investment would have been pointless from the start and he will know that.  Do you think that Ashley believes that this club will drastically improve by spending £10-£15 million or so from club turnover with the likes of West Ham, Tottenham and even Wigan spending more?  Or do you think Ashley's plan is to spend £140 million on a Football club with the intention of doing zero with it?

Ashley will spend.  Why would he buy Newcastle if he had no intention of spending, it's obvious we'd struggle big time without spending.  After spending £1.75 million and getting a return of 4 players so far, think its time we splashed up to £20million at least over the next 3 weeks to get the more players in the positions we are week.

Guest Brazilianbob

Don't get me wrong, hope we do splash the cash, but we have all said at some stage in the past that trophy signings don't work.  Instead, I expect to see a moderate investment each season rather than splashing out £20m on one or two players.

I think we will see perhaps one £7m signing, possibly Curtis Davies, with maybe Sami Hyppia on a free, followed by LB Shorey for £5m.  We will then have Baba and Shorey for LB with N'Zogbia as emergency cover, Carr and Geremi for RB with Taylor as emergency cover, and Taylor, Rozenhal, Hyppia and Davies for centre back, with Ramage, Huntington, and Edgar as reserve cover.

An outlay of £12m tops, but possibly only £10m, which will easily be covered by the season ticket money plus whatever we get for Dyer, without MA putting his hand in his pocket at all.  OK he now owns the club, but he will be using our money to build on his investment, rest assured of that!

Don't get me wrong, hope we do splash the cash, but we have all said at some stage in the past that trophy signings don't work.  Instead, I expect to see a moderate investment each season rather than splashing out £20m on one or two players.

I think we will see perhaps one £7m signing, possibly Curtis Davies, with maybe Sami Hyppia on a free, followed by LB Shorey for £5m.  We will then have Baba and Shorey for LB with N'Zogbia as emergency cover, Carr and Geremi for RB with Taylor as emergency cover, and Taylor, Rozenhal, Hyppia and Davies for centre back, with Ramage, Huntington, and Edgar as reserve cover.

An outlay of £12m tops, but possibly only £10m, which will easily be covered by the season ticket money plus whatever we get for Dyer, without MA putting his hand in his pocket at all.  OK he now owns the club, but he will be using our money to build on his investment, rest assured of that!

Never said £20million on "one or two" players, I feel we need to spend that on around 3 or 4. 

Think we will need Geremi more in midfield with Barton out, Emre out, Dyer possibly off and now that Parker has gone.  Plus a couple of boro fans at work reckon he will be wasted at right back, although he is good for cover there.  Still think Geremi is better than what we currently have for right back like.

It isn't our money, its all his money and as I said he'll spend what's needed..  Sorry but its just crazy to believe that a man like Ashley will spend £140 million on a Football club and then do nothing to improve his new asset.  He needs this club to improve massively, otherwise his investment will lose value.  To do that we need to become a regular side in the Champions League.  Once that happens we will have the funds neccesary to compete with the very top teams.  But to get there in the first place, especially within a reasonable timeframe, he will know that we need extra cash from outside the club.

Currently we're a club nowhere near the top four and in £80 million debt.  How on earth do you think Ashley expects to make a profit on his investment by not even competing with the likes of Spurs and West Ham? (never mind Liverpool, Manure and Chelsea).

Sam interviewed on SSN:

Asked whether he expects the same level of backing as his predecessors

"Yes. They've told me to tell them the players I want and they'll try to sort it"

Mentioned something like he hasn't been told his budget, but just to name the players he wants.

To f*** with that "Premiership experience"

I can see why managers would want it tbf.

Toure, Gilberto, Ljungberg, Bergkamp, Fabregas, Rosicky, Van Persie. Not one of them over £7.5m (i think). If you know what you're doing experience shouldn't matter much.

I chose cheaper players because i guess if you pay 'big' money the player ,theoretically, should have less of a risk factor i suppose.

There are plenty of foriegn players who have completed flopped due to not being able to adapt to the league though. Shevchenko and Veron for around £30m each for instance, both by managers who should know what they are doing.

Sam interviewed on SSN:

Asked whether he expects the backing of his predecessors

"Yes. They've told me to tell them the plyers I want and they'll try to sort it"

Mentioned something like he hasn't been told his budget, but just to name the players he wants.

It's like Christmas. :lol: O0

Sam interviewed on SSN:

"Yes. They've told me to tell them the plyers I want and they'll try to sort it"

:kasper:

You must have got your words mixed up as I can't see Roeder and Souness helping to bring players in.

Sam interviewed on SSN:

:kasper:

You must have got your words mixed up as I can't see Roeder and Souness helping to bring players in.

:lol:

I meant the same level of backing as they got. D'oh

Im glad he said that!something positive at last!sounds like money wont be a problem but they wont be held to ransom!So we wont be paying over the odds like we have done so may times before!Im exicted now,we seem to have a chairman with a brain!

Guest Toon83

Finally a chairman with a business brain instead of just a crowd pleaser who didnt really know how to please a crowd  :idiot2:

Mort is an intelligent man and seems to know how to run a business and a football club how it should be run, i would like to see Curtis Davies (£6-7m), a backup centre back (£3m), Nicky Shorey or Leighton Baines (£5m), a right back (£4-5m), and Alan Smith (£5m), with the money we get for Dyer (possibly £5m then this would be an outlay of about £22-23m if you add Barton and Rozehnal.

Sounds like good business to me!

This is as close to the Continental way of doing things as we're going to get. Let the manager just concentrate on the players he wants and the coaching of players, let the board & chairmen worry about whether we can afford them or not. Love it.

Sam and Mort have both now said that 3 or 4 signings will be made before new season kick off.

Can't wait to see who we get tbh. 

shame they're leaving it so late

I don't think it's that late, tbh. People are getting too worried too soon.

Wonder if it crossed Sams mind to sneak Ronaldinho and Rooneys names in there for a laugh.  I can picture him giggling in the background while Mort makes the phonecall's to Barca and Man U.

still 3 or 4 weeks left is it?

plenty of time

16 until first game of season,we need players before the Bolton game not 31st Aug

be happier with the right players on aug 31st rather than panics in time for bolton.

ideally the right players tomorrow mind you.

(i take it you mean 16 days not weeks)

still 3 or 4 weeks left is it?

plenty of time

16 until first game of season,we need players before the Bolton game not 31st Aug

yeah too right

too many times we've got to late August hoping we might just be able to steal a uefa place. Things need to be in place well before the first game of the season.