Solano To Fill The "Attacking Mid-field Role".... Instead of Dyer ?

Jamie

If Sam is really wanting to use Solano to his full next year,i would personally play him in the attacking mid-field role until Barton returns,just to see what he'd be like.

To be honest,i think he'd be tremendous there as an attacking midfielder

I have heard recently aswell that he'd like to player there,and i'd really like to see him play here in one of the friendlys just to see how it goes for him.

I can see him really blossoming there and causing a real threat.

Concerning the Dyer malarki at the minute,if he really is wanting to go down south just to see more of his kids,i don't think Sam has an option but to let him go,this would leave us VERY short next season in the midfield department,and with our injury record there,i think Ashley may have to dig deep to find quality replacements.

Just wondered where you lot would play Solano and where we could get the best possible out of him for this coming season.

Guest BooBoo

Not sure whether Nobby has the legs to play attacking midfield.

Our hand might be forced if Dyer goes, as it looks like Emre is on the pies and Barton knacked. Just shows how threadbare (once again!) our squad has become.

Guest SwissMagpie

If dyer goes we need a new AM.and we really need another DM.we just have 33 years old Butt!

Guest khyberpass

agree that Nobby's legs may let him down in that role...

Best suited on the right...his crossing is top notch - although Milner is improving

I don't think Butt is too old - look at Makele at Chelski, he's doing a fantastic job there. I understand your point that our squad is thin but in midfield we have plenty of options tbh ... but when you look at the defence ...puhhh...

Guest khyberpass

I don't think Butt is too old - look at Makele at Chelski, he's doing a fantastic job there. I understand your point that our squad is thin but in midfield we have plenty of options tbh ... but when you look at the defence ...puhhh...

We may have plenty of options...but who scores or makes goals amongst them?

That was half the problem last year, with Dyer being our top midfield scorer!!!

If we're going to challenge for top 6, we have to have a midfielders who scare the bejesus out of defences, with a 15 goal plus midfielder and a bucketload of assists from all of them...I therefore think we are paper-thin on quality

Solano would be better a bit deeper threading balls through and creating. If he is to play in the centre it would be competing with Emre for that deeper spot.

The engine room should be constantly running and working though, and Im not sure Solano can do that consistently across a season.

There are a number of positions Solano can fill for us this season, but most of them will be coming of the bench.

We may have plenty of options...but who scores or makes goals amongst them?

That was half the problem last year, with Dyer being our top midfield scorer!!!

If we're going to challenge for top 6, we have to have a midfielders who scare the bejesus out of defences, with a 15 goal plus midfielder and a bucketload of assists from all of them...I therefore think we are paper-thin on quality

well, given the fact that we were rubbish last season I think players like Emre, Milner, Duff, Barton have plenty of goals in them.

If Sam is really wanting to use Solano to his full next year,i would personally play him in the attacking mid-field role until Barton returns,just to see what he'd be like.

To be honest,i think he'd be tremendous there as an attacking midfielder

I have heard recently aswell that he'd like to player there,and i'd really like to see him play here in one of the friendlys just to see how it goes for him.

I can see him really blossoming there and causing a real threat.

Concerning the Dyer malarki at the minute,if he really is wanting to go down south just to see more of his kids,i don't think Sam has an option but to let him go,this would leave us VERY short next season in the midfield department,and with our injury record there,i think Ashley may have to dig deep to find quality replacements.

Just wondered where you lot would play Solano and where we could get the best possible out of him for this coming season.

To be honest, think Nobby playing in midfield again is a good shout.  He has definielty lost a lot of pace, but his football brain and talent is still superb, think he could fill a gap til Joey get's back.  Nobby ain't a right back and I think we need his creative passing to have more influence in games and that will only happen if he's played further up the pitch.

prefer him to be the playmaker from further back where he just sits but only when Barton is back! not sure what the squad will be because Milner is better at rm than nobby for me and Geremi will be a better right back probably

Solano has always had the technique and passing range to dictate play but I think he's always preferred the added time you get on the ball out wide as opposed to being in the thick of it in central midfield. He's as good a shout as Milner or Geremi to fill that position alongside Butt, although ideally we need another CM in espescially if Dyer goes. We're taking our chances otherwise; Emre and Butt are prone to injury and Barton could be out for months.

I'd feel more comfortable putting Nobby in a midfield three alonside two combative players but without Barton or Emre that doesn't look possible. In a flat 4 I think he might get found out, he was clearly struggling at the back end of last season - if anything we should be using him sparingly but we're already down to the bare bones. The fact we're talking about such patched up teams and if rather than when another CM comes in is what worries me. If we just need to put the finishing touches to the squad I'd be relaxed but we're lacking depth across half of the team and one or two injuries in key positions could leave us turning to the reserves already. We're looking fragile to say the least.

post on skunkers says deal agreed with man city just been on 5 live so they say

Wait ... I thouht he wanted to be nearer to Ipswich though?

Well good luck to him. Let's move on and get someone better in.

Well maybe not MC/AMC, but that period Souness had when he didn't believe in wingers, and placed the wingers more to the middle.

And make Stephen Carr work the hardest he's ever worked in his life.....ran up and down that wing for the whole season with no right winger infront of him if memory serves me right.

And he still hasn't fully recovered from that  ;D