Shepherd: Betrayed by my friends

Dokko

Guest Invicta_Toon

Who cares about his story.He has only himself to blame,serve him right.

exactly. who cares what someone who has run the club for the last ten years has to say on what it entails? it's not like anyone needs this kind of info, this shit can be found in a 3 month long strategic review tbh

i cant believe with all the lies and bullshit from that fat wanker people still think like this

if the fat wanker has hurt feelings, all the better, he might just get the message

people like you need to get a grip and think before running your mouths off

and people like you need to realise this article contains more substance than hurt feeligns

You wanted Shepherd gone and said the above, so stop backpedalling.

Do you think Ashley and Mort shouldn't do a review of the club then? Just walk in and get on with it, is that your bright idea?

as opposed to doing fuck all I'd say it was a grand plan

Er... they're not doing fuck all, they're doing a review of the club. I've bolded it for you in your own post, just so you remember. :thup:

oh aye right. just so long as you think they're doing something usefull I guess, they have to fill up their days somehow

Shepherd previously made his intentions known about eventually taking the club back into private ownership. It's a matter of opinion but i think that's what his aim was, hence his gradual share buying upwards to the 30% mark.

Given the 'cloak & dagger' nature of how the whole Ashley buy-out occured - ie. the Halls selling up - and in conjuction with Shepherd's own ambitions, re- private ownership, he has every reason to be aggrieved.

IMO Shepherd's timetable,as far as hitting the 30% share and garnering the finance for the accompanying take-over, was probably at odds with the Halls' financial situation and their need to sell-up quickly. But nonetheless Shepherd should've been offered the 'first right of refusal' or at least a window of opportunity to make things happen sooner.

Poor form directed towards a long-time allie by the Halls, an allie who has been the public mouthpiece and the frontman to what has been a series of poor decisions in the boardroom where the Halls being the club's major shareholder were still the main power player. As the frontman he's been a convenient public flogging horse for the Halls, and violin playing aside he deserved better at the end imo.

"Sam Allardyce will be successful as manager if he receives the kind of backing that I gave the people who were in the job before him. He's exactly the right type for Newcastle — tall in stature; strong willed; an out-and-out football man. That's what the club needs right now."

What is the minimum height for a successful manager here then? Why do you have to be so tall?  Could have a point though, Roeder was only 6'1" and BSA is 6'3¼". Trophies here we come.

Maybe if Keegan wore platforms he would have brought home the bacon.

From the Beeb.

Former chairman Freddy Shepherd feels England striker Michael Owen must repay his debt to Newcastle.

Owen's knee problem was one of a number of injuries that stalled the Magpies' campaign last season and they could only finish 13th in the Premier League.

Shepherd, who left the club last week, told BBC Five Live: "Michael Owen owes Newcastle a lot. I think he's played more times for England than Newcastle."

Owen joined in 2005 and played 11 games before breaking a bone in his foot.

The England striker, 27, then ruptured his anterior cruciate knee ligament at the 2006 World Cup and only made his comeback for Newcastle in May.

Now Shepherd expects Sam Allardyce, who was appointed manager of Newcastle in May, to use the methods he employed as Bolton boss to bring Owen and the rest of the squad back to their peak fitness.

"I have every confidence Sam Allardyce will get the injury situation sorted out.

"From what I hear, the players have never been fitter," revealed Shepherd.

"Sam's got the mental strength and that was certainly needed at Newcastle. He brings a lot of discipline to the club and is nobody's fool.

"We tried to get Sam for two years and we have finally got him. I have every confidence he will do well."

Shepherd, who was replaced as chairman last week following Mike Ashley's takeover of the club, does not expect affairs off the pitch to affect preparations for the new season.

Police raided Newcastle as part of an investigation into alleged corruption earlier this month but Shepherd says the club are clear of any wrongdoing.

"The club have nothing to answer," said the 65-year-old. "We have done absolutely nothing wrong and are spotless.

"The police are looking for someone else and are trying to get evidence to stack a case up."

Shepherd relinquished control of Newcastle when he agreed to sell his 28% stake in the club to Ashley for £37.6m.

The former chairman was struck down by a bout of pneumonia and a collapsed lung when the deal was being finalised.

But Shepherd, who became chairman in 1997, says he has no regrets about how his reign at St James' Park ended.

"My position as PLC chairman no longer existed and so there's no problem at all," he insisted.

"You need to be more than a multi-millionaire to own a football days. It's a new era at the club and I'm sure Mike will take it forward.

"I've still got my box and will go to the matches. I've been there since I was a kid and I'm certainly not going to stop now.

"I sold the club for £38m and I've done fantastically well for what was a hobby. Now I'm going back to my main businesses."

Guest Phil K

One thing is for sure, himself and Big Sam don't agree on the quality of the training facilities.

Then this snippet.. It doesn't begin to resemble what the situation was like when we first moved into St James' Park. Those who supported the club before then seem to forget the bad old days.

Don't worry, some people remember.

Only too well.

I think Freddy wants to remember he was NOT the one who started it all off, taking us almost to the heights, but the one who took us back DOWN.

Heart was in the right place, but not the head. I think he'll be forever haunted by the name "Souness"

Who cares about his story.He has only himself to blame,serve him right.

exactly. who cares what someone who has run the club for the last ten years has to say on what it entails? it's not like anyone needs this kind of info, this shit can be found in a 3 month long strategic review tbh

i cant believe with all the lies and bullshit from that fat wanker people still think like this

if the fat wanker has hurt feelings, all the better, he might just get the message

people like you need to get a grip and think before running your mouths off

and people like you need to realise this article contains more substance than hurt feeligns

sometimes Vicky makes some good observations, and he has here.

Not like everyone is unable to see anything good whatsoever in anything Shepherd says or does is it ?

Oh dear. Massive paranoia if ever you saw it.

Shepherd previously made his intentions known about eventually taking the club back into private ownership. It's a matter of opinion but i think that's what his aim was, hence his gradual share buying upwards to the 30% mark.

Given the 'cloak & dagger' nature of how the whole Ashley buy-out occured - ie. the Halls selling up - and in conjuction with Shepherd's own ambitions, re- private ownership, he has every reason to be aggrieved.

IMO Shepherd's timetable,as far as hitting the 30% share and garnering the finance for the accompanying take-over, was probably at odds with the Halls' financial situation and their need to sell-up quickly. But nonetheless Shepherd should've been offered the 'first right of refusal' or at least a window of opportunity to make things happen sooner.

Poor form directed towards a long-time allie by the Halls, an allie who has been the public mouthpiece and the frontman to what has been a series of poor decisions in the boardroom where the Halls being the club's major shareholder were still the main power player. As the frontman he's been a convenient public flogging horse for the Halls, and violin playing aside he deserved better at the end imo.

They say if you repeat something often enough, people will believe it. Its quite amazing that this basic comment, which is absolutely correct, still appears to be ignored by the vast majority of people.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I think Freddy wants to remember he was NOT the one who started it all off, taking us almost to the heights, but the one who took us back DOWN.

Absolutely right.

is it bollocks, go and do some research, Shepherd was instrumental in the takeover and got nothing for praise from Keegan for his support and knowledge

He accepts that the downward trend during the managerial reign of Graeme Souness and his successor, Glenn Roeder, began with the departure of Sir Bobby Robson.

Shepherd says he regrets the circumstances surrounding the sacking of the former England manager.

"Bobby and I remain firm friends. He knows what happened and doesn't hold anything against me," said Shepherd.

The Mirror ran a story at the time that said FFS wanted to give SBR until christmas to turn things around but Douglas Hall overruled the decision & pushed through his immediate sacking.  Perhaps the reason FFS & SBR have remained friendly is because FFS isn't the one who made the decison to sack him, he just carried the can for it.

I'm not trying to defend FFS in any way, but the Hall family - Douglas in particular - should not be above criticism in the decline of the club.

I have to say, in acknowledgement of Vic, that John Hall was also recently praising Shepherd for all of his work during the takeover, along with Fletcher and Cushing. He did have a big part to play in our resurgence.

I have to say, in acknowledgement of Vic, that John Hall was also recently praising Shepherd for all of his work during the takeover, along with Fletcher and Cushing. He did have a big part to play in our resurgence.

This is absolutely correct. Keegan says himself in his book that it was Shepherd, Hall Jnr and Fletcher who persuaded him to come to the club as manager and were major players in the takeover, and in fact had to persuade SJH to sack Ardiles and appoint him.

I posted these quotes from the book a while back.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I believe that Shepherd did have the best interests of the club at heart, so he made money from the club ? So what.

Ashley and Mort aren't here to run Newcastle as a charity and will be looking to make few quid from a business investment  but who cares as long as they can bring success.

The criticism of Shepherd is that his judgement was wrong  far too many times.

The timing of letting Robson go and then making Souness and Roeder manager as well as not being able to keep his mouth shut.

The timing of letting Robson go and then making Souness and Roeder manager as well as not being able to keep his mouth shut.

It began a year before that, with his failure to reinforce a demoralised squad before the Partizan game.

Also, let's not forget that Robson was given virtually nothing to spend for his first two seasons because of the mess left over from Shepherd's previous appointments.

It began a year before that, with his failure to reinforce a demoralised squad before the Partizan game.

Also, let's not forget that Robson was given virtually nothing to spend for his first two seasons because of the mess left over from Shepherd's previous appointments.

A demoralised squad? This "demoralised squad" had just finished pretty comfortably in 3rd place. We'd also just spent £10m in the 6 months leading upto that on Woodgate & Ambrose.

A demoralised squad? This "demoralised squad" had just finished pretty comfortably in 3rd place. We'd also just spent £10m in the 6 months leading upto that on Woodgate & Ambrose.

Perhaps you are forgetting a season's end that saw us absolutely tonked by Man U and unable to beat Villa (16th), Fulham (14th) and West Brom (relegated). We finished just two points above Chelsea and 14 below Man U.

The 6-2 was the killer. We all knew we'd been overachieving all season, and that was where we were found out.

Transfers six months before that time make zero difference to our failure to strengthen the summer following that and preceding our embarrassment against Partizan -- and that's where the tide turned and all of Robson's achievements were pissed away.

Please tell us who exactly was a better candidate than a manager who had won 4 premiership titles with 2 clubs and 3 manager of the year awards to build on an already top team ?

You're just bitter because he sold your idol aren't you, you know, that bloke who led the attack, scored 2 goals and saw us plummet from 2nd to 13th in one season

Fuck me.

I've just locked one thread to stop your pathetic bickering, please stick to the topic at hand or don't post at all.

sorry Dave, but I thought it was a relevant comment to Ozzie, pointing out that Shepherds previous appointments "who left Robson with nothing" [words to that effect] were in fact of a high calibre, the one I mention in particular having a track record that pissed all over Robson's.

Indisputable fact, by the way. I even mentioned his track record in case anyone disputes it.

You didn't need to add the rubbish about selling his 'idol'.

OK. I hope you take the same view when he rubbishes comments that we badly missed Craig Bellamy when they are made by me [which we do].

On a serious note, I don't understand how anyone thinks Arsprillla was a success at Newcastle, the way he played in his last 2 years. He was crap, and a luxury before that too, apart from one game. But that is my observation based on his performances.

[slight change of subject I know ........]

What goes around comes around Freddy, you've betrayed thousands of people in your 10 years in control. I'm sure that £50m or so you've trousered from fans' pockets will help you get over your disappointment.

Utter fucking nonsense. The money he was paid from Ashley had fuck all to do with supporters.

Really cant wait for all the mis-directed anger to rear its head again in a different guise.