Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest DavB93

Time will tell....Barton could be Wormwood Scrubs' star player sometime soon and Geremi has been a mere occasional player for ages so thats what part of my opinion is based on.

Geremi has been an occasional player because of the situation at Chelsea, when he's played he's looked quality. As for Barton think you wrong also, nowt is going to happen.

Guest DavB93

Why waste the £6m on just Smith than spend it on some defenders? We already have good strikers in Owen, Martins, Viduka, Carrol and Ameobi so why do we need Smith? The only thing I can think of is becasue he is a replacement for Dyer even though they are both totally different players.

DEFENDERS

It's not a waste, think Smith will prove alot of the people on this board wrong. He's not been bought as a striker as I can see it.  We've got addition money for defenders (don't believe this 10 million thing at all... :coolsmiley:)

Why waste the £6m on just Smith than spend it on some defenders? We already have good strikers in Owen, Martins, Viduka, Carrol and Ameobi so why do we need Smith? The only thing I can think of is becasue he is a replacement for Dyer even though they are both totally different players.

DEFENDERS

Gemmill's going to start the body count soon, like.

I think it's fairly clear that the reason we're signing Smith is because BSA wants us to have a squad, with a number of options, rather than just a good first team. Smith can play wide right, which he did for Leeds on a number of occasions, as a battling midfielder and as a striker. He's obviously not being bought instead of defenders.

Guest sharath

Sky Sports News understands Newcastle United are holding talks with Manchester United striker Alan Smith.

The former Leeds United striker has fallen down the pecking order under Sir Alex Ferguson and is keen to secure first-team football.

Middlesbrough were thought to be leading the chase for the England international, but The Magpies have now moved to the head of the queue.

Sam Allardyce is keen to bolster his squad and is set to bolster his transfer kitty after agreeing a fee with West Ham for pacey winger Kieron Dyer.

The 26-year-old striker made just nine Premier League appearances for The Red Devils last term after recovering from the broken leg suffered against Liverpool.

The move could see Smith renew his partnership with Mark Viduka, whom he played alongside during their days at Elland Road.

looks like all media catching on this now.

thanks for 6m newcastle.

6m for smith, 5.5m for richardson, 6.8m for heinze. great.

Guest Gemmill

DEFENDERS

:lol:  I like how he even put DEFENDERS in capitals at the end.  I went through it all last night, but for those that weren't listening:

Allardyce has identified the targets he needs to get in for the defence, and he has the money to purchase them.  With the sale of Dyer he feels he is now a player short in that area, so uses those funds to replace him.  There has been no change to his targets for defenders, because the ones he's identified are still the ones he wants, and there is therefore no reason for him to suddenly think "Wow I've got some extra money.  I'll buy some defenders I didn't previously think I needed."

That's the last time I'm giving this talk. :razz:

DEFENDERS

:lol:  I like how he even put DEFENDERS in capitals at the end.  I went through it all last night, but for those that weren't listening:

Allardyce has identified the targets he needs to get in for the defence, and he has the money to purchase them.  With the sale of Dyer he feels he is now a player short in that area, so uses those funds to replace him.  There has been no change to his targets for defenders, because the ones he's identified are still the ones he wants, and there is therefore no reason for him to suddenly think "Wow I've got some extra money.  I'll buy some defenders I didn't previously think I needed."

And people better listen.

DEFENDERS

Still a shit replacement for Dyer. Must be better about than Alan Smith, specially for 6m ffs.

DEFENDERS

Sorry what? You lost me at "I Like"  ???

Guest Newbie

Providing we get the others we've always needed anyway, we can't lose with this transfer.

Agreed.

I imagine Big Sam has him lined up to play the Kevin Davies role, plus he has the versatility to play in a number of different positions.

DEFENDERS

Still a s*** replacement for Dyer. Must be better about than Alan Smith, specially for 6m ffs.

this.

Guest firetotheworks

But shouldn't we be concentrating on buying defenders! Psyche! Just joshin. Cant say Im really that pleased that were going for smith. I actually liked what I saw of him playing in that advanced midfield role last season but my Man U supporting mate reckons he's a Match of the Day highlights player. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and remain impartial until we see him playing but I'd rather we'd have went for/succeeded in getting either SWP or Gudjohnsen. 

Guest Verlaine

But shouldn't we be concentrating on buying defenders! Psyche! Just joshin. Cant say Im really that pleased that were going for smith. I actually liked what I saw of him playing in that advanced midfield role last season but my Man U supporting mate reckons he's a Match of the Day highlights player. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and remain impartial until we see him playing but I'd rather we'd have went for/succeeded in getting either SWP or Gudjohnsen. 

Both of whom to an extent could be accused of being MotD highlight players.

Sky Sports News understands Newcastle United are holding talks with Manchester United striker Alan Smith.

The former Leeds United striker has fallen down the pecking order under Sir Alex Ferguson and is keen to secure first-team football.

Middlesbrough were thought to be leading the chase for the England international, but The Magpies have now moved to the head of the queue.

Sam Allardyce is keen to bolster his squad and is set to bolster his transfer kitty after agreeing a fee with West Ham for pacey winger Kieron Dyer.

The 26-year-old striker made just nine Premier League appearances for The Red Devils last term after recovering from the broken leg suffered against Liverpool.

The move could see Smith renew his partnership with Mark Viduka, whom he played alongside during their days at Elland Road.

looks like all media catching on this now.

thanks for 6m newcastle.

6m for smith, 5.5m for richardson, 6.8m for heinze. great.

What I always love about you lot is that you think your players are great while you've got them, then shit when they look to leave.  Up until about 3 weeks ago Heinze was one of the most popular players at Old Trafford, now all of a sudden, its like you've always hated him, and can't wait to see the back of him.

Not that I'm stereotyping Man Utd fans of course.............