Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Geordie_krispy

Personally I don't like the bloke.  Not really sure why, but if it's because of the whole racist beating thing, that maybe why i don't like Bowyer either much, same kinda thing for Woody, but to a lesser extent (but strange as he was the only one who was charged).

Footballing terms, if you look at it in terms of a replacement for Dyer.  I'd take Smith 90% of the time, yes he doesn't have the pace, but he can put that killer pass in more often, and as long as he's not playing a DM role (what Butt and Geremi are for i reckon) then he's got to compete with Emre and Barton for that AM role, if you were to play him just behind Viduka/Owen/Martins (pick you favourite two) then there's hopefully some light at the end of the dark tunnel in terms of actually being able to get the ball to our strikers.

Overall, I'm not unhappy about it, not overjoyed either though.

Not elated about this but not suicidal over his signing. The way prices are going these day £6 million for an England International is about par for the course. And before I write him off completely I would like to see how he will do for us.

Lets face it, if he is a hit on the field we will hero worship this fella, His type of attitude is what the fans loves, so if he is crunching opponents week in week out snarling as he gets up and is playing well we will all be cheering him to the rafters and this thread will be forgotten about.

Then again he could be shite and will get eggs thrown at him!

Guest guinness_fiend

I was dragged to the Man U v Inter game last night by a friend and, before the game, we sat down with a few die-hard United fans who had nothing but praise for Smith.  They all agreed that it was a shame that he was going and that, due to United playing Rooney and Ronaldo as essentially 'floating' players, Smith could never get his rhythm in the starting 11.  And, after watching United's total reliance on Ronaldo and Rooney last night (although they were short of players for all intensive purposes), I can understand where they are coming from.

In a transfer market climate where Mickey Mouse players are being sold for £5m+, complaining at getting an experienced player with Champions League experience from *the* top club in the UK for £6m is a tad over-the-top.  Also, that he has experience in playing both up front and in midfield can only be a good thing, given our dire injury record.

And... if he is merely being bought as an expensive squad player, it will create competition for places that we desperately need.  For far too long have we have players who pretty much know that their place is guaranteed - simply because there is no-one else to replace them.  The top squads in the Premiership have nearly 2 teams worth of quality talent to choose from.  We do not have that luxury at the moment, but as long as BS attracts a few more players of Smith's standard then we are at least one step closer to it.

He will play less games for us than Dyer did, total waste of money!!

How have you come to that conclusion exactly?

H eris just as injury prone but we also have the games hhe will miss after his red cards!

I was dragged to the Man U v Inter game last night by a friend and, before the game, we sat down with a few die-hard United fans who had nothing but praise for Smith.  They all agreed that it was a shame that he was going and that, due to United playing Rooney and Ronaldo as essentially 'floating' players, Smith could never get his rhythm in the starting 11.  And, after watching United's total reliance on Ronaldo and Rooney last night (although they were short of players for all intensive purposes), I can understand where they are coming from.

In a transfer market climate where Mickey Mouse players are being sold for £5m+, complaining at getting an experienced player with Champions League experience from *the* top club in the UK for £6m is a tad over-the-top.  Also, that he has experience in playing both up front and in midfield can only be a good thing, given our dire injury record.

And... if he is merely being bought as an expensive squad player, it will create competition for places that we desperately need.  For far too long have we have players who pretty much know that their place is guaranteed - simply because there is no-one else to replace them.  The top squads in the Premiership have nearly 2 teams worth of quality talent to choose from.  We do not have that luxury at the moment, but as long as BS attracts a few more players of Smith's standard then we are at least one step closer to it.

:lol:

Some of the comments on here are disgusting.

I for one prefer to wait and see how he will be used and how he performs before making any kind of comment. I saw him play in midfield quite a bit for Man U and was always surprised by how well he used the ball when in posession. The only downside was the way he flew into some rash tackles, but I think this was more down to him playing DM and being told to replace Keane. As an attacking midfielder he won't have that demand on him.

I bet if he comes he does really well, especially because he is a good pro and is going to work very hard to make sure he does well and if he is playing every week I'm sure he will.

This is going to be interesting and there is a huge potential for some people on here to look like absolute morons. Really dissapointing response to a player who has chosen to come here and play for your club. Disgraceful. At least wait till he messes up before having a go.

So basically no one should ever disagree with a transfer. Great, may aswell shut this place down now.

Can you read? Have you seen some of the comments on here?

Huge difference between disagreeing with a transfer and wishing for the guy to be run down by a freakin' train isn't there? I mean what's that all about?

Half of you disagrreing don't even have any basis for doing so. Instead your disagreeing on the basis that you want Ronaldinho instead. No one knows how he is going to be used yet or what Sams plans are, so why not wait before you judge.

Guest guinness_fiend

Dave - tis true.  Their bench was absolutely awful last night - hence them not even making a single substitution.  They were being run ragged. Neville was out (among others), Nani and Anderson weren't on the bench and it looked like a lot of players were being rested for Sunday.  I wasn't saying that they are short on a weekly basis, but their reliance on R&R *yesterday* was extremely apparent.

H eris just as injury prone but we also have the games hhe will miss after his red cards!

So he's definitely going to pick up injuries and red cards then?  :lol:

IMO its a pretty safe bet, yes!

Fair enough!  :lol:

We'll soon find out I guess.

Fair enough!  :lol:

We'll soon find out I guess.

sadly it looks like you are right and we will see soon enough.

Some of the comments on here are disgusting.

I for one prefer to wait and see how he will be used and how he performs before making any kind of comment. I saw him play in midfield quite a bit for Man U and was always surprised by how well he used the ball when in posession. The only downside was the way he flew into some rash tackles, but I think this was more down to him playing DM and being told to replace Keane. As an attacking midfielder he won't have that demand on him.

I bet if he comes he does really well, especially because he is a good pro and is going to work very hard to make sure he does well and if he is playing every week I'm sure he will.

This is going to be interesting and there is a huge potential for some people on here to look like absolute morons. Really dissapointing response to a player who has chosen to come here and play for your club. Disgraceful. At least wait till he messes up before having a go.

So basically no one should ever disagree with a transfer. Great, may aswell shut this place down now.

Can you read? Have you seen some of the comments on here?

Huge difference between disagreeing with a transfer and wishing for the guy to be run down by a freakin' train isn't there? I mean what's that all about?

Half of you disagrreing don't even have any basis for doing so. Instead your disagreeing on the basis that you want Ronaldinho instead. No one knows how he is going to be used yet or what Sams plans are, so why not wait before you judge.

Who's mentioned Ronaldinho?! I'm disagreeing on the basis that he is just a grafter and won't improve our team in any way, we don't need him. And i'm very disappointed the money isn't going towards defenders. I'm guessing he's going to be played in midfield or upfront, we have better options in both of those positions.

does nobody have any confidence in Allardyce? I'm sure Bolton fans were as bemused as we are here when they signed people like Kevin Davies and El-Hadji "lack of saliva control" Diouf, but both turned into crucial players for them. Ffs lads, Sam has a talent for bringing the best out of mediocre players. Unlike Roeder, he isn't just going to sing a player based on the name and for the point of it (see Duff), he probably has a conrete plan for Smith.

That said I don't quite see how he's a replacement for Dyer...

Guest toonlass

Just had an official text off NUFC confirming talks are being held with Smith and cacapa, get in there  :celb: