Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

Fuck sake man NE5, we have a good squad, a good manager, chairman has given us money, we have spent well. Cheer up man and shut the fuck up about Shepherd.

Fuck sake man, we have had a good last decade, a few good managers, the board gave them all money, we have qualified for europe more than every team bar 4 during this period. So what was all this whining on about, harping on about Shepherd  ;D

To repeat. I'm not really mentioning Shepherd, I'm simply responding to other people, and saying that I hope the new board will back the manager like the old board. I'm looking forward to emulating the top 5 league positions, 2 FA Cup Finals and buying top quality international footballers, as it follows that having a better board they will prove it by actually doing it.

This is not a difficult concept, by the way.

Actually, the board haven't gave any more money or backed the manager more than the old one. Yet. If it pains you that this is pointed out, then you have a problem like. Its the truth. I prefer to believe they will be better when they prove it, if its alright.

I'm sorry but I can't help but be amused at people moving the goalposts, moaning on for what seemed an eternity about qualifying for europe, and now saying they will be delighted with it, and deem it to be successful.

We have a good manager, of course. And some good players. I don't think the quality of some of them will get us into the top 4 though. At some stage we will have to go in for these trophy signings, if they want real success, and only then will we see if the board will match the ambition of the old board.

Sorry if you can't accept that, but it's true.

This whole Shepherd/Ashley stuff is dull. The people writing it don't listen to each other and nobody else gives a toss.

Anyone who has an iota of sense can see Freddie had taken us as far as he could. It's time for the club and everyone else to move on.

Think I just wasted 60 seconds of my life typing that.

you mean Fred and the Halls ? Anyone with an iota of common sense will realise that majority shareholders of a multi million pound company don't walk away and let other people make the important decisions in running the company ?

You do have some sense I take it, because you keep telling us that you do ?

BTW, I have also said myself what I've highlighted is more than possible. My point is that you shouldn't jump through hoops until you have been shown the new board are actually better ie in terms of league positions achieved, or backing for the manager which shows the ultimate ambitions.

You're right Pie, its dull having to keep telling people basic common sense things like this.

Hey NE5, cant you respond to my post?! I want a response and also I would like you to include one of those laughing smilies if possible!

I'm sorry but I can't help but be amused at people moving the goalposts, moaning on for what seemed an eternity about qualifying for europe, and now saying they will be delighted with it, and deem it to be successful.

I'm sure everyone won't be happy with simply qualifying for Europe forever, but for this season it would obviously represent success.

We're not in the position we were when people were moaning about qualifying for Europe, your standards have to change depending on where you find yourself.

Not moving the goalposts at all.

I'm sure everyone won't be happy with simply qualifying for Europe forever, but for this season it would obviously represent success.

We're not in the position we were when people were moaning about qualifying for Europe, your standards have to change depending on where you find yourself.

I'm only saying I hope the new board will be more successful than the last one mate, unfortunately there are quite a lot of people who actually really think the last one did really shit and don't realise how well the new ones are going to have to do if they are to be better.

This whole Shepherd/Ashley stuff is dull. The people writing it don't listen to each other and nobody else gives a toss.

Anyone who has an iota of sense can see Freddie had taken us as far as he could. It's time for the club and everyone else to move on.

you mean Fred and the Halls ? Anyone with an iota of common sense will realise that majority shareholders of a multi million pound company don't walk away and let other people make the important decisions in running the company ?

BTW, I have also said myself what I've highlighted is more than possible. My point is that you shouldn't jump through hoops until you have been shown the new board are actually better ie in terms of league positions achieved, or backing for the manager which shows the ultimate ambitions.

You're right Pie, its dull having to keep telling people basic common sense things like this.

Jesus Wept. Why bother? It's getting embarrassing Leazes man. Yes, people do own large businesses, even multi- nationals, and let others make decisions. In fact, its fairly common. It's often described as the divorce of ownership and control. I am sure you knew that.

The point is that basic common sense appears lacking in the people who wouldn't be aware of that. Not you, of course.

I'm only saying I hope the new board will be more successful than the last one mate, unfortunately there are quite a lot of people who actually really think the last one did really s*** and don't realise how well the new ones are going to have to do if they are to be better.

Fair enough, I do believe that the old board had taken us as far as they were going to so this is a good time for a change.

A lot remains to be seen and there's no gaurantees, though I agree that we have the right manager in place to get things going in the right direction and I've been encouraged by the actions of the new people so far.

And I know FS appointed that manager, every dog has his day I suppose.  :razz:

Jesus Wept. Why bother? It's getting embarrassing Leazes man. Yes, people do own large businesses, even multi- nationals, and let others make decisions. In fact, its fairly common. It's often described as the divorce of ownership and control. I am sure you knew that.

The point is that basic common sense appears lacking in the people who wouldn't be aware of that. Not you, of course.

Ok then. Serious question. You know, I'm sure that you do anyway, and realise that the appointment of a manager is the single biggest decision a football club makes, and in our case one appointment turned everything ? Do you think Shepherd alone appointed Souness ? yes or no ?

I'm only saying I hope the new board will be more successful than the last one mate, unfortunately there are quite a lot of people who actually really think the last one did really s*** and don't realise how well the new ones are going to have to do if they are to be better.

Fair enough, I do believe that the old board had taken us as far as they were going to so this is a good time for a change.

A lot remains to be seen and there's no gaurantees, though I agree that we have the right manager in place to get things going in the right direction and I've been encouraged by the actions of the new people so far.

More like the monkey with the typewriter and infinite time eventually banging out the complete works of Shakespeare.

Of course people expect more though? Shepherd (and the Halls) did reasonably well, with some fairly unnecessary cock-ups. The influx of billionaires and, as SJH himself commented, new ideas and money were needed. All that was fairly obvious.

Ashley now owns the business outright. He has relinquished the running of the business to Mort. Mort appears switched on and has been up front, but not judgemental, about the situation the club was in financially.

We were/are in debt. We had spent money that we didnt have yet. New money was required. It appears that Sam has had decent backing and I am sure youre right - people would be happy with Europe.

The major point is that since our last top 4 finish Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool, Man Utd, Villa and Man City have had wealthy owners and lots of money hoyed at them. Similarly Portsmouth, Tottenhama and the Mackems have had a fair bit of cash too.

We simply don't generate the funds to match that. It's getting a lot harder to compete and that looks like continuing. On that basis its something I'm ghald we can compete with potentially, rather than being fully aware that we couldn't. The clubs books show that, as do the comments made above.

More like the monkey with the typewriter and infinite time eventually banging out the complete works of Shakespeare.

No, it's not at all.

Of course people expect more though? Shepherd (and the Halls) did reasonably well, with some fairly unnecessary cock-ups. The influx of billionaires and, as SJH himself commented, new ideas and money were needed. All that was fairly obvious.

Ashley now owns the business outright. He has relinquished the running of the business to Mort. Mort appears switched on and has been up front, but not judgemental, about the situation the club was in financially.

We were/are in debt. We had spent money that we didnt have yet. New money was required. It appears that Sam has had decent backing and I am sure youre right - people would be happy with Europe.

The major point is that since our last top 4 finish Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool, Man Utd, Villa and Man City have had wealthy owners and lots of money hoyed at them. Similarly Portsmouth, Tottenhama and the Mackems have had a fair bit of cash too.

We simply don't generate the funds to match that. It's getting a lot harder to compete and that looks like continuing. On that basis its something I'm ghald we can compete with potentially, rather than being fully aware that we couldn't. The clubs books show that, as do the comments made above.

Well, I think that we could get into the top 4 this season, because we have the right manager. Certainly the top 6. But, in order to stay there, we have to live with the big boys in the transfer market again.

Along with rebuilding the structure of the club, the youth policy, the scouting network, the medical and training techniques, another reason I wanted Allardyce as boss, to do this.

Ok then. Serious question. You know, I'm sure that you do anyway, and realise that the appointment of a manager is the single biggest decision a football club makes, and in our case one appointment turned everything ? Do you think Shepherd alone appointed Souness ? yes or no ?

Lord, we give thanks for the Shepherd you have blessed unto us, for the Good Shepherd hast done no wrong. Only the Shepherd who has guided us to the true Path is exalted in virtue. The Path that He hath walked shall not be blighted with falsehoods and rumour, for His truth is our truth. Harken! The Good Shepherd doth not take kindly to the squabbling of minions. Wo behold lest you feel His wrath and Greggs becomes no more.

Given his comments on Roeders appointment, I am fairly sure he was the main man. Of course, he would have discussed it (at least i hope he had). However, the point you miss, is that the Chairman has responsibility for that appointment. In the same way Alf Ramsay would have discussed taking off Bobby Charlton in the 1970 World Cup. Ultimately, the decision, and the responsibility is with the man in control. Who got the flak for it?

The man in control is paid to make those decisions. Not the shareholders.

I understand the point you are making, and to some extent I agree with it. However, you can't wear the Chairmans hat when its going well and take it off when its not.

Given his comments on Roeders appointment, I am fairly sure he was the main man. Of course, he would have discussed it (at least i hope he had). However, the point you miss, is that the Chairman has responsibility for that appointment. In the same way Alf Ramsay would have discussed taking off Bobby Charlton in the 1970 World Cup. Ultimately, the decision, and the responsibility is with the man in control. Who got the flak for it?

The man in control is paid to make those decisions. Not the shareholders.

I understand the point you are making, and to some extent I agree with it. However, you can't wear the Chairmans hat when its going well and take it off when its not.

I'm not. I've no reason at all to particularly defend Shepherd. By the same criteria, Sir John was chairman when we appointed Keegan, and he gets all the credit, but he didn't want him, he was persuaded by Hall Jnr, Shepherd and Fletcher. His allies on the board. But I'm not arsed he gets all the credit anyway, I just point out to people that these things are board decisions. Hall Snr was in fact the figurehead of what was a majority decision among his "allies", and I think that it follows the ALL the clubs appointments since have been made in the same way. I would be very surprised if any major football club allowed one man to make such an appointment.

It doesn't make any sense for it to be any other way.

I've never defended anybody for appointing Souness BTW. It was a monumental fuck up by all concerned.

The manager running the actual team is slightly different to the chairman though, at least I think so anyway. Making such decisions in the heat of the moment, in times of high pressure and knife edge situations.

Cheers for the reply anyway.

Well, I think that we could get into the top 4 this season, because we have the right manager. Certainly the top 6. But, in order to stay there, we have to live with the big boys in the transfer market again.

Along with rebuilding the structure of the club, the youth policy, the scouting network, the medical and training techniques, another reason I wanted Allardyce as boss, to do this.

You could well be correct. I hope you are. The structure is the main issue. Why the hell we are still looking for one over a decade since Keegan withdrew us from the Reserve league is baffling, but I agree.

I think top 4 will be tricky and top 6 possible. I'll accept top 8 happily enough though.

You're right in saying the manager is key. We appear to have a decent one. It would have been bloody dangerous / impossible for Freddie to have backed his manager this time though. Financially, the boat had been pushed out as far it could reasonably be expected and he doesnt have the personal wealth to compete.

We may well hit top 6 this season. With the wealth of other teams, that will get harder without serious backing and a decent financial footing. Potentially (and I use that word with caution), we have that ability due to the owners personal wealth and the business acumen that makes a man a billionaire at 40.

I am not sure we could continue to compete with Freddie....

Lord, we give thanks for the Shepherd you have blessed unto us, for the Good Shepherd hast done no wrong. Only the Shepherd who has guided us to the true Path is exalted in virtue. The Path that He hath walked shall not be blighted with falsehoods and rumour, for His truth is our truth. Harken! The Good Shepherd doth not take kindly to the squabbling of minions. Wo behold lest you feel His wrath and Greggs becomes no more.

Well, Pie gave a quite constructive and ligit response. Good for him. At least somebody can.

Lord, we give thanks for the Shepherd you have blessed unto us, for the Good Shepherd hast done no wrong. Only the Shepherd who has guided us to the true Path is exalted in virtue. The Path that He hath walked shall not be blighted with falsehoods and rumour, for His truth is our truth. Harken! The Good Shepherd doth not take kindly to the squabbling of minions. Wo behold lest you feel His wrath and Greggs and Milligans becomes no more.

:lol:

You could well be correct. I hope you are. The structure is the main issue. Why the hell we are still looking for one over a decade since Keegan withdrew us from the Reserve league is baffling, but I agree.

I think top 4 will be tricky and top 6 possible. I'll accept top 8 happily enough though.

You're right in saying the manager is key. We appear to have a decent one. It would have been bloody dangerous / impossible for Freddie to have backed his manager this time though. Financially, the boat had been pushed out as far it could reasonably be expected and he doesnt have the personal wealth to compete.

We may well hit top 6 this season. With the wealth of other teams, that will get harder without serious backing and a decent financial footing. Potentially (and I use that word with caution), we have that ability due to the owners personal wealth and the business acumen that makes a man a billionaire at 40.

I am not sure we could continue to compete with Freddie....

More or less agree. We had set about restructuring the club since Keegan left, but obviuosly not enough. However, if the first team had been successful, most people would not have noticed either. Its the first team that we all look at.

I sometimes wonder if Keegan was solely responsible for dismantling the reserve team, we know that he wanted to keep the pitch in good condition for the first team, which led to the withdrawal of the reserve team from the league, but it seems to me that too many people were happy to go along with it.

On the other hand, they may have been worried Keegan would have spat his dummy out ? It's a gut feeling, but I wonder if the club were happy to go along with it rather than spend the money that was needed on re-building the training ground, academy etc - its a lot of money.

I agree that the club went for success and then found the boat couldn't go further, so to speak. This is why I have defended the signings Roeder made last summer, he really suffered due to Souness' idiocy. For the same reason - although I don't like knowing it - I can defend the club not spending in the summer of 2003, because they spent a fortune in the previuos 3 years to qualify in the first place for the CL and also bought Woodgate in the January previously. You don't have a bottomless pit of money. I only say, at least they tried, as best they could, its better than not trying. I don't know how old you are, but not trying - which people like myself have experienced - is the most frustrating thing imagineable.

But they ruined everything by bankrolling an idiot like Souness, to try and move back to the places when we had slipped out, which was almost criminal. No excuse. Even after they had appointed him, there were plenty of early signs they should have peddled him. But they didn't.

Is this the new thread that NE5 will take up residency in?

Admins - Perhaps we should mark it appropriately then.

To be fair he's right what he says.

And people childishly baiting him, as you've done here, isn't exactly going to help the problem, if you consider it a problem that is.

And people childishly baiting him, as you've done here, isn't exactly going to help the problem, if you consider it a problem that is.

seconded