Caçapa signs 2 year deal. (Interview page 17)

Optimistic Nut

I didn't think he had a knee injury tho. Heard an interview with some french media guy ITK on Talksport early June who knew we would sign Rozenthal (sp.), knew Henry was going to move on. He said we were looking at Cacapa then and said out of the two (Ronzenthal and him), Cacapa was the better player. In fact he said he was one of the best if not the best centre half in France over the last 5 years. He said he had fallen out with officials at Lyon so trained with the kids with the final year of his contract which was expiring in the summer. Aladyce was looking at him for Bolton last summer.

I also heard that interview.

The ITK is Xavier Rivoire their french correspondant. Always sounds like he knows the French scene inside out. Like you say he raved about Cacapa as well as being complimentary about Rozenhal.

Let keep our fingers crossed. I know people are worried about his injury record but it will not be a massive risk considering the lack of transfer fee and wages  if he has come from the french league.

Got a good feeling about this one.

Guest sombrero

someone help me out here, the way i understand it, hes not actualy with lyon any more as in he was a free agent looking for a new club?, was it his decision to leave lyon? or did they not want him? which is it? and only 6 games last season? thought he was class?

someone help me out here, the way i understand it, hes not actualy with lyon any more as in he was a free agent looking for a new club?, was it his decision to leave lyon? or did they not want him? which is it? and only 6 games last season? thought he was class?

Fell out with Houllier after he didnt want to sign a new contract, hence no games.

They offered him a contract extension but he told them he wanted to go.  Apparently the chairman was a bit annoyed because he claimed they had supported him earlier in his time there by giving him a new contract while he had a knee injury:

"It is up to him to say clearly what he wants to do, said Aulas (Lyron Chairman).

I like Claudio a lot. I extended his contract while he had a knee injury. It's now time for pay-back"

EDIT, beat me to it Baggio :)

Guest Gemmill

come to think of it, this might be one of Fat Sam's infamous non-appearing signings

When you log-on do you leave a sign on the door saying 'Gone fishing'?

"Do not disturb:  wanker at work" tbh.

Good signing, could be a great signing!

One thing, if he's a free agent, why has he taken so long to sign for a club, and thus isnt match fit for the start of the season?

Good point. If he's a free agent and he's so good, how has it taken him until August to find a club? Genuine question. Viduka and Geremi were snapped up in no time when clubs found they were available.

Maybe he needed to think about his future over the holidays month while at the same time see what his current team were going to do for him to presuade him to stay or something...I mean his mind wasn't made up yet to take the next step...Maybe...

He's been listed on several wiki's as having moved to a club in Saudi or Qattar (al Rayyan?). So maybe he'd agreed to do that till we came knocking.

It is a bit of a concern that he's not had a pre-season and not had much of a last season either. Still, he's only 31 and given that he's been around for a week before we've signed him you'd have to assume he's had a thorough check out by the medics. After all, that Argentine midfielder only lasted one day on trial before he was sent packing for being out of shape.

Guest Gemmill

Good signing, could be a great signing!

One thing, if he's a free agent, why has he taken so long to sign for a club, and thus isnt match fit for the start of the season?

Good point. If he's a free agent and he's so good, how has it taken him until August to find a club? Genuine question. Viduka and Geremi were snapped up in no time when clubs found they were available.

Maybe he needed to think about his future over the holidays month while at the same time see what his current team were going to do for him to presuade him to stay or something...I mean his mind wasn't made up yet to take the next step...Maybe...

The obvious answer to this is that he wasn't our first choice.  Something we've pretty much had confirmed by Allardyce saying we've missed out on targets because we aren't in Europe.  Doesn't mean he's no good or anything though.

Guest Toon83

anyone got any inside info on when Cacapa will sign?

I know its been said that he will sign today, but whats the latest?

I fucking hate shit like this from Oliver:

The Chronicle revealed that United were signing Cacapa yesterday and contacts were quick to phone me waxing lyrical about the defender

If he has so many contacts, why is he repeatedly spouting shit?

If you strip away the idle speculation, piss and wind, Parky ITK insider dealings and Alan Oliver exclusives, you know as much as anyone else

Guest icemanblue

:lol: How many times has Ray Ranson seen Cacapa?

Ray Ranson sees all!

Or at least that's what my contacts say.

Guest Invicta_Toon

he will sign at 15.37

"Yes, we had a bit of a fall-out at Lyon last season, but this was because he had refused to sign a new contract."

So they wanted to keep him. He must still have quite a bit left in the tank.