Caçapa signs 2 year deal. (Interview page 17)

Optimistic Nut

Dunno if it's been mentioned but it's on .co.uk now too.  Him and Smith.  Not confirmed signings yet though.

Thats just a rehash of the Chronicle. Nothing new.

I'm just saying that it's on the official site, which lends it more gravitas to it appearing in an Alan Oliver article, dickface! :razz:

Not really, as they reproduce any manager/player quotes that appear in the Chronicle every day.

Guest Gemmill

Dunno if it's been mentioned but it's on .co.uk now too.  Him and Smith.  Not confirmed signings yet though.

I'm just saying that it's on the official site, which lends it more gravitas to it appearing in an Alan Oliver article, dickface! :razz:

Not really, as they reproduce any manager/player quotes that appear in the Chronicle every day.

How is this puddinghead a moderator on here?  I want answers.

LOL

Perhaps I am HTT like you Toontastic dudes have long suspected.

They do a round-up of Toon related gossip is what he means. Although it's actually on the official site instead of /in addition to that. I think that is what has escaped James. Amongst other things ;)

Perhaps I am HTT like you Toontastic dudes have long suspected.

I don't think anyone seriously thought that. I can guess which of you was more flattered though.

Absolutely delighted by this.

Cacapa, Rozehnal, Taylor, Ramage, Hunty and Edgar. Looking a little more acceptable now. 3 good centre halfs is better than the one we had last season. I'd like to see Sam pull in one more but i'm satisfied.

Need a left back still though.

Cacapa, Rozehnal, Taylor, Ramage, Hunty and Edgar. Looking a little more acceptable now. 3 good centre halfs is better than the one we had last season. I'd like to see Sam pull in one more but i'm satisfied.

Which is where Dragotunovic comes in.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=united-s-boy-from-brazil%26method=full%26objectid=19558334%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

United's boy from Brazil

Aug 2 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

BRAZILIAN international defender Cacapa was poised to join Newcastle United today.

The 31-year-old defender, who has been captain of Lyon for past five years, has been on Tyneside since Sunday and was having a medical before discussing terms with United today.

And Sam Allardyce claimed today: “He is a top player and we will be delighted if we can pull this off as we regard him as a big capture.”

Cacapa, whose real name is Claudio Roberto da Silva, has three Brazil caps, although after all his success at Lyon he became a French citizen in October 2006.

Big Sam added: “Our fans should not be put off by the fact they may not have heard of Cacapa because he has certainly been heard of in Brazil and France.

“He has been captain of Lyon for the past five years and for every one of those five years they won the French title, so obviously he has a lot of Champions League experience.

“That’s why we are hoping that everything goes OK with his medical and that we can agree a deal with his people because we believe he would be a terrific capture for us.

“Unfortunately, he has been back in Brazil and he has had no pre-season work, and in normal circumstances we would not consider him for our opening game at Bolton Wanderers a week on Saturday, but it all depends on what type of injuries we have.”

Big Sam still has to decide on just who will lead United out this season, and because of his vast experience Cacapa could be a candidate.

In fact, when I asked Allardyce about his captain after the win over Juventus at St James’ Park on Sunday he laughed and said: “I haven’t signed him yet.”

Now the United boss is smiling again today at the prospect of having Cacapa and Alan Smith in black-and-white shirts in the next couple of days.

Cacapa’s first club was Atletico Mineiro in 1996 and he has been with Lyon since 2000, while Qatar outfit Al Rayyan had hoped to have him in their next season.

And if United do pull off the signing, they will have hijacked the six foot defender from Besiktas, while he also has offers on the table from Bordeaux, Paris St Germain and Genoa.

He did not play that many games for Lyon last season because he fell out with Gerard Houllier after refusing to sign a new contract with the French club.

The Chronicle can reveal that Cacapa actually watched Sunday’s game with Juventus from the St James’ Park stand and that he has been at the training ground every day since then.

That’s because Allardyce has had all his medical people and backroom staff take a close look at the Brazilian-born player and it looks like he has survived the closest of scrutinies.

He will become the third Brazilian to play for United after Mirandinha and Fumaca and there could be a fourth if Big Sam follows up his interest in Barcelona’s Edmilson once he recovers from his knee injury.

According to Wikipedia he's played 125 games in 7 years. That's less than Dyer isn't it?

Definitely a good enough player, but let's hope his fitness isn't a major problem. We're long overdue a settled back four.

Guest Guinness

Great news, quality bit of business on a free transfer, will bring some much needed experience to the defence.

Which is where Dragotunovic comes in.

Hadn't read that thread when i posted that. Great movement by big sam.

According to Wikipedia he's played 125 games in 7 years. That's less than Dyer isn't it?

Definitely a good enough player, but let's hope his fitness isn't a major problem. We're long overdue a settled back four.

That would be a pretty shocking figure if true.

That cant be right, Can it... He was their captain for 5 years according to SA. I cant imagine Lyon making him captain when he only plays on average 17 games a season.

So we're signing Cacapa and are interested in Edmilson.

Would I be right in saying these two played together at centre back for Lyon?

In recent years it was Cacapa, and the more often capped brazilian Cris, who I believe played against us for Bayer Leverkusen...