Caçapa signs 2 year deal. (Interview page 17)

Optimistic Nut

Guest Verlaine

If he's a better centre back than one of the best centre backs last season in Essien, he must be good.

Other than an initial poor stint with Bastia, Essien wasn't a centre back when he played in France.

Dave link=topic=43538.msg945969#msg945969 date=1186055169]

Oliver still working the Edmilson thing I see.

Edmilson could still be worth a go, as we will be losing Geremi in January.

It appears Cacapa didn't play too much last year due to injury and also falling out with Lyon due to letting his contract run out perhaps. Excellent news to hear that we put him through his paces to make sure he was fit enough, and as that appears to be the case it should be an excellent move. Still a pretty good age at 31 too, as a matter of fact 31 is like 26 in Allardyce years  O0

Younger than both Campbell and Hyypia but with all the experience we could want. I'm exited about this. All those who claimed he had gone to Qatar ought to be ashamed ... or maybe banned?  :razz:

If he's a better centre back than one of the best centre backs last season in Essien, he must be good.

Other than an initial poor stint with Bastia, Essien wasn't a centre back when he played in France.

Played there a fair amount, with reasonable distinction, last season with Chelsea.

He played his first game in the French Ligue 1 championship on February 17, 2001. Caçapa announced on April 11, 2007 that he would leave Olympique Lyonnais at the end of the season, after playing over 6 years for the French club. He will sign for Newcastle United Football Club on the 2nd of August 2007. He has been training with Newcastle since the 29th July 2007 and has been in talks with Sam Allardyce on the thursday.

Cacapa said upon signing (in broken English), "I'm lookin' forward to playin for the Toon. I aim to get sloshed doon tha Bigg Market every Frida neet before games. That way I'll have Rooney and the likes in my metaphorical back pocket".

Someone has made his wiki entry make interesting reading now  :clap: bluelaugh.gif

was this anyone here?

He played his first game in the French Ligue 1 championship on February 17, 2001. Caçapa announced on April 11, 2007 that he would leave Olympique Lyonnais at the end of the season, after playing over 6 years for the French club. He will sign for Newcastle United Football Club on the 2nd of August 2007. He has been training with Newcastle since the 29th July 2007 and has been in talks with Sam Allardyce on the thursday.

Cacapa said upon signing (in broken English), "I'm lookin' forward to playin for the Toon. I aim to get sloshed doon tha Bigg Market every Frida neet before games. That way I'll have Rooney and the likes in my metaphorical back pocket".

His wiki entry makes interesting reading now  :clap: bluelaugh.gif

Shouldn't there be a 'lyke' after pocket?

Guest Verlaine

Played there a fair amount, with reasonable distinction, last season with Chelsea.

You might want to look at the context of what James was saying and then apologise to me. Ta.

You might want to look at the context of what James was saying and then apologise to me. Ta.

Essien was one of the best Centre Backs around last season

Cacapa said to be better

All good

Couldn't see any mention of France in James' post!

Guest Verlaine

Essien was one of the best Centre Backs around last season

Cacapa said to be better

All good

Couldn't see any mention of France in James' post!

You might want to say sorry too.

He was referring to the post which claimed Cacapa had been the best central defender in France.

Guest Verlaine

I didn't think he had a knee injury tho. Heard an interview with some french media guy ITK on Talksport early June who knew we would sign Rozenthal (sp.), knew Henry was going to move on. He said we were looking at Cacapa then and said out of the two (Ronzenthal and him), Cacapa was the better player. In fact he said he was one of the best if not the best centre half in France over the last 5 years. He said he had fallen out with officials at Lyon so trained with the kids with the final year of his contract which was expiring in the summer. Aladyce was looking at him for Bolton last summer.

Guest Gemmill

Never seen the bloke play, but good stuff.  Now are people beginning to see how it's possible to sign Alan Smith AND defenders. :razz:

I didn't think he had a knee injury tho. Heard an interview with some french media guy ITK on Talksport early June who knew we would sign Rozenthal (sp.), knew Henry was going to move on. He said we were looking at Cacapa then and said out of the two (Ronzenthal and him), Cacapa was the better player. In fact he said he was one of the best if not the best centre half in France over the last 5 years. He said he had fallen out with officials at Lyon so trained with the kids with the final year of his contract which was expiring in the summer. Aladyce was looking at him for Bolton last summer.

I'll apologise for crossed wires!

I took James' post to say that if Cacapa is better than Essien (who played CB with distinction last season for Chelsea) then he must be good.

You took it a step further and got the link to the previous post.

Still think if you take James' post in isolation you were wrong, if you follow the link you were right!

So yeah, apologies (with restrictions!)

From the Chron

“Unfortunately, he has been back in Brazil and he has had no pre-season work, and in normal circumstances we would not consider him for our opening game at Bolton Wanderers a week on Saturday, but it all depends on what type of injuries we have.”

Sounds like it's a done deal if BS is already thinking about when/where to start him.

Read one of the articles in an earlier post - says Essien played CB for a spell at Lyon while Cacapa was injured.

Never seen the bloke play, but good stuff.  Now are people beginning to see how it's possible to sign Alan Smith AND defenders. :razz:

Did'nt say it was not possible, its just wrong to spend that kind of money on Smith!!

Read one of the articles in an earlier post - says Essien played CB for a spell at Lyon while Cacapa was injured.

Sicko2ndbest's post on the second page.

Guest Gemmill

Did'nt say it was not possible, its just wrong to spend that kind of money on Smith!!

Two words:  Andy Johnson. :razz:

Guest Gemmill

Dunno if it's been mentioned but it's on .co.uk now too.  Him and Smith.  Not confirmed signings yet though.

Guest Gemmill

Dunno if it's been mentioned but it's on .co.uk now too.  Him and Smith.  Not confirmed signings yet though.

Thats just a rehash of the Chronicle. Nothing new.

I'm just saying that it's on the official site, which lends it more gravitas to it appearing in an Alan Oliver article, dickface! :razz: