José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Liverpool have sold Torres, who was on the downward track, as well as losing Alonso and Mascherano to bigger and better clubs. Their net spend is irrelevant because they've wisely reinvested the money. It's exactly what we have to do with Carroll and now Jose.

It's the way of football, clubs frequently lose players to clubs further up the pecking order. Spurs lost Keane and Berbatov but reinvested superbly and look where they are now. We have to do the same, that's why this is such a massive summer in terms of Ashley's intentions.

Fwiw, Liverpool are weaker without Alonso. But yes, I agree. Players come and go and selling Carroll or Enrique isn't so much the point - it's about what happens to that money which will determine whether you make progress.

I don't think Europa League would be a pull to keep him. He'll want Champions League.

He won't get that at Liverpool!

They're trying though, which is kinda the point.

Liverpool sold their best striker for 50M and bought one good replacement and one with potential and it seems to you "they are trying". We sold our best striker for 35M and are planning to buy replacements in the summer and yet we somehow show no ambition, such blatant double standards in interpretation! The least you could do is wait till the end of the summer transfer window before concluding  that we are going in a different direction from Liverpool.

I don't think Europa League would be a pull to keep him. He'll want Champions League.

He won't get that at Liverpool!

They're trying though, which is kinda the point.

Liverpool sold their best striker for 50M and bought one good replacement and one with potential and it seems to you "they are trying". We sold our best striker for 35M and are planning to buy replacements in the summer and yet we somehow show no ambition, such blatant double standards in interpretation! The least you could do is wait till the end of the summer transfer window before concluding  that we are going in a different direction from Liverpool.

Why wait when we can be negative now!

Do you think we'll spend £35 million and anything we bring in from transfers on new players?

The thing is I can understand the sceptics. Everytime it has looked like the club is moving forward the higher ups have acted, usually out of incompetence, in a manner that has grounded expectations and stalled progress, if not taken it back a couple of notches. Frequently we've failed to invest sufficiently in the squad during the transfer market and it has left a bitter taste in the mouth.

At the same time there's no point in sitting there moaning when it's very much going to be a wait and see deal. I'm as pissed as anyone at the prospect of selling Enrique but we'll just have to hope there's a suitable replacement lined up. Come the end of the summer and we're still short of the required quality, then i may consider lighting the torch and sharpening the pitch fork but for the time being patience is the order of the day.

For the first time in as long as anyone can remember we have a back four that doesn't scare the shit out of you. I remember watching us away at arsenal at my dads, and him saying how surreal it was watching us look so comfortable and safe against a top side. Whatever they threw at us they weren't getting through, and having watched kamikaze defending for my entire life it was as enjoyable as a 5-0 win. Jose has played a massive part in this, Colos calmness too but if Jose goes i'm terrified we'll regress years.

This is my fear as well. There's no doubt any amount of left backs who will look great going forwards, but I'll be amazed if any are anywhere near as good defensively. Buying a replacement will not be easy.

The thing is, if the money is invested from both Carroll and Enrique, we could be better off. However, the detrimental effect if could have on the team is potentially very harmful;losing two key players that have played a big part in the remaking of the club, both on the field and off it. If the money is invested in 5/6 players I don't think many of us would complain, but what has to be looked at beyond their footballing abilities is their willingness to buy into the club, as AC and Jose have.

The thing is I can understand the sceptics. Everytime it has looked like the club is moving forward the higher ups have acted, usually out of incompetence, in a manner that has grounded expectations and stalled progress, if not taken it back a couple of notches. Frequently we've failed to invest sufficiently in the squad during the transfer market and it has left a bitter taste in the mouth.

At the same time there's no point in sitting there moaning when it's very much going to be a wait and see deal. I'm as p*ssed as anyone at the prospect of selling Enrique but we'll just have to hope there's a suitable replacement lined up. Come the end of the summer and we're still short of the required quality, then i may consider lighting the torch and sharpening the pitch fork but for the time being patience is the order of the day.

Your first paragraph sums the club up so I don't see why people should wait and see before commenting as the chances are we'll screw up again.  Enrique was happy here and something has changed over the last 6 months or so to make him want to re-consider his future.

If we can’t keep good players who appear to have been happy then we’re struggling as a club.

At the same time there's no point in sitting there moaning when it's very much going to be a wait and see deal. I'm as pissed as anyone at the prospect of selling Enrique but we'll just have to hope there's a suitable replacement lined up. Come the end of the summer and we're still short of the required quality, then i may consider lighting the torch and sharpening the pitch fork but for the time being patience is the order of the day.

What you say there can sound reasonable, like a measured threat. What traditionally happens, though, is some people claim that takeovers only happen during transfer windows, that we can't force him out of the club, and pitchfork holders will just embarrass the city with their beaucoups. You're then instructed to just cling on to the few good things that did happen + unfounded claims and comments regarding ambition and ex-servants being bastards or holding us back, and the cycle starts again, with more waiting and hoping about the next window (don't want to disturb the lads' morale after all, going on the contract negotiations a lot of them are already rattled enough as it is...).

I really do not think he is over fussed about club European football, its more about International football and if he had already been capped I doubt we would be having this discussion.

Guest Flatline

As far as re-investing the money goes, Carroll yes. Enrique, no. We wont find a better leftback for the money we get for him ( unless we pull another tiote buy up from the hat).  for 5-10 mill we are likely to get someone of good PL standard, but as a direct replacement: no, we will come out of this a weaker team end of.

:lol:

Got to love the anti-board agenda being spun here.

Barely anyone is blaming Jose, it's obvious his head has been turned by a club/s further up the pecking order that will be able to offer European football sometime in the forseeable furture, that's the game. You can only do so much to convince a player to stay, Erique's mind was obviously made up some time ago, whether he knew others were interested or he was disheartened by the Carroll sale or a mixture of the two reamins to be seen.

He's had two very, very good years here and I wish him all the best, he's been a joy to watch. Now, we need to focus on finding a top draw replacement.

Yep. If you're leaving then just come out and tells us, fucking pissed off with that twat now.

Although, the board still have to take a lot of the blame for making us the unattractive shit that we are now.

Fuck off, Jose. Fuck off, Ashley.

FUCK THE WHOLE LOT OF YA!

As far as re-investing the money goes, Carroll yes. Enrique, no. We wont find a better leftback for the money we get for him ( unless we pull another tiote buy up from the hat).  for 5-10 mill we are likely to get someone of good PL standard, but as a direct replacement: no, we will come out of this a weaker team end of.

spot on

As far as re-investing the money goes, Carroll yes. Enrique, no. We wont find a better leftback for the money we get for him ( unless we pull another tiote buy up from the hat).  for 5-10 mill we are likely to get someone of good PL standard, but as a direct replacement: no, we will come out of this a weaker team end of.

We acquired him for around six million if I remember correctly, there's no reason we can't go and find a decent replacement. Enrique was alright in his first season, he was outstanding in his second and third, what worries me is we sign someone who isn't quite up to scratch to begin with and people lose faith in him.

Pure speculation, but I have a feeling we'll sign someone more attack minded with a weaker defensive game, whether it be Van Aanholt or M'Bengue or someone else of that ilk.

Barely anyone is blaming Jose, it's obvious his head has been turned by a club/s further up the pecking order that will be able to offer European football sometime in the forseeable furture, that's the game. You can only do so much to convince a player to stay, Erique's mind was obviously made up some time ago, whether he knew others were interested or he was disheartened by the Carroll sale or a mixture of the two reamins to be seen.

He's had two very, very good years here and I wish him all the best, he's been a joy to watch. Now, we need to focus on finding a top draw replacement.

Yep. If you're leaving then just come out and tells us, f***ing p*ssed off with that t*** now.

Although, the board still have to take a lot of the blame for making us the unattractive s*** that we are now.

f*** off, Jose. f*** off, Ashley.

f*** THE WHOLE LOT OF YA!

We aren't unattractive at all. We're looking at a top 10 finish this year and with few decent signings in the summer and we could quite easily finish higher next year. Combine that with 50,000 fans every other week and I'd say we're an entirely attractive club.

Yep. If you're leaving then just come out and tells us, f***ing p*ssed off with that t*** now.

Although, the board still have to take a lot of the blame for making us the unattractive s*** that we are now.

The previous board should shoulder most of the blame tbh, they dug the majority of the financial hole, Ashley may have helped deepen it a bit (but not by much) and at the end of the day, that's cost him, no-one else.

Thankfully he can afford it.

We aren't unattractive at all. We're looking at a top 10 finish this year and with few decent signings in the summer and we could quite easily finish higher next year. Combine that with 50,000 fans every other week and I'd say we're an entirely attractive club.

As someone on this board once said, we are a tempting proposition for players from the smaller leagues like the Dutch, French, etc….. but for more established players, like Jose and Carroll, and soon probably Tiote and Ben Arfa, we're not attractive imo.

Guest Heneage

If he does go I hope he does manager to get into the Spain side and looks back fondly on his time with us.

This is just saddening to me. Losing a player we all love, a cracking player at that, one of the best in his position, knowing we won't be able to replace him properly. Can't be arsed looking for positives to take out, it's just shit.

The previous board should shoulder most of the blame tbh, they dug the majority of the financial hole, Ashley may have helped deepen it a bit (but not by much) and at the end of the day, that's cost him, no-one else.

Thankfully he can afford it.

Absolute rubbish, while I'm as cynical as other regarding the new board, you can't blame the old baord for us becoming an unattractive club:

(a) I wouldn't say we're a partiuclarly unattractive club, we've just fallen down the packing order. That's down to a lack of European football and a recent relegation, the relegation is largely attributed to Ashley and Co and some of the disaterous decisions they made during the 08-09 season.

(b) Ashley has actually improved the financial well being of the club. While that's all well and good, it's been to our detrimiment on the pitch. His penny pinching means we're frequently short of the required quality, this implies a lack of ambition. It's no suprise a majority of quality football sides rack up big debts.

Do you think we'll spend £35 million and anything we bring in from transfers on new players?

I don't know and nor do you or Dave for that matter

I'm of the opinion that should the probably move come about in the summer then really no-one should get 'blamed'.

Jose - If he really feels that he has to move to more high profile club to get a shot in the Spanish team then fair enough, by higher profile I mean the champions league, then he'll leave with no bad feeling from me. Can't hold anything against any player wanting to better themselves or even position themselves where they'll get more noticed by their own media and their national manager.

The club - As far as i'm concerned they've gone about this fairly sensibly (for them!!). They agreed to wait to talk about Jose's contract until he is/was ready, they want him to stay and they haven't bad mouthed him in the press. And due to the fact that the player holds most of the aces is about as much as they can do.

I know we have a stricter wage structure now than when Jose first signed but i'd be suprised if money was a priority for Jose, I think he knows he's class and deserves a platform to show that and again unfortunately we're not going to get into the top 4 in the foreseeable future so unless we can either convince him that he's got as much of a chance of getting capped here as anywhere else then we're really flogging a dead horse.

We 'could' keep him for another year but realistically that would cause more problems than solve, so if he wants to go then he goes with my blessing and I hope we get a decent wedge for him.

I don't know and nor do you or Dave for that matter

So comparing us with Liverpool who sold a player and spent the transfer fee on strengthening the squad is irrelevant.