José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Selling a player to a bigger club doesn't have to be a backward step, providing the price is right. Look at Spurs after they sold Berbatov, or Arsenal after selling Anelka, Overmars and Petit. Trying to hold on to your best players regardless isn't the only way to move forward. 

To sell Tiote, Enrique and Carroll is to step backwards. They are probably the best players we can get in our position, and I don't trust Pardew in the transfer market.

It all depends on the fees involved, and I certainly wouldn't agree that any of those players are irreplaceable, or to be more exact, that by spending the proceeds wisely we couldn't end up with a better team - as Spurs and Arsenal did.

To take Carroll as an example, he's a good player and potentially very good, but £35 million is a hell of a lot for a player of his type, and is the sort of fee that normally only goes on the best players in the world. However good he is in the air, he's not going to get many goals by chasing on to a through ball or a ball over the top of a defence.

With the Carroll money in, there is absolutely no excuse for not offering Enrique and Tiote good contracts. It's a different scenario from Carroll who they argued had just signed a new deal three months before. Enrique's contract is coming to an end and he should be rewarded for being as good as any other left back. Tiote is probably on peanuts in his first year and obviously deserves a big raise as he's proven to be arguably the best defensive midfielder in the league.

The only valid reason for them ever going is if they want to go.

With the Carroll money in, there is absolutely no excuse for not offering Enrique and Tiote good contracts. It's a different scenario from Carroll who they argued had just signed a new deal three months before. Enrique's contract is coming to an end and he should be rewarded for being as good as any other left back. Tiote is probably on peanuts in his first year and obviously deserves a big raise as he's proven to be arguably the best defensive midfielder in the league.

I agree, in normal world Enrique has done more than enough to be offered a new contract and a decent pay rise.

The problem is, what if his current salary is already outside of the club's new pay policy? He'll be offered either the same money or possibly a pay cut. Now I can't really blame NUFC for that as the wages policy is clear... but it might lead to Enrique thinking twicwe about signing on again.

Another 'rumour' confirmed then...

Again, I can't blame him.

Yeah i defintely don't think you can blame Barton or Enrique. End of the day they it's there footballing careers they are looking after which is priority after all. It's common sense they can't afford another year in the championship, so let's get past that 40 mark as quick as possible, reassure them that money will be being spent in the summer and get them contracts tied up!

Enrique will be sold in the Summer.

Enjoy his performances whilst he is still in a Newcastle shirt.

I wish someone had thought to post that earlier in the thread.

I'm going to quote it too, just so that I might get a little of his cheery ITK farydust rub off on me.

The excuse over Carroll wasn't just the timing though, it was the level of pay he was supposedly after. We simply won't pay what others will, regardless of the timing. So if Liverpool or whoever offer him more, he'll be off.

It's worth pointing out that Enrique described Carroll's deal there as 'much, much better' than it was here.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Liverpool...why....

Because they are signing good players and not selling them.

The complete opposite of the plans FCB has for United.

It is irrevelant whether he signs a contract or not.  If he signs and the club want to sell, they will command a higher fee for him and if he wants to leave, he will just put in a transfer request.  If Jose doesn't sign then it probably will give him more options because unless the club can create a bidding war, with one year left on his contract he will be more affordable to a wider variety of clubs.  (And we should make a good profit on what we paid for him).

I just hope that if he does leave, that it will be to a Champions League club and not Liverpool.  I have a feeling that if Reina does decide to leave Liverpool as has been rumoured, that Given will move there and having our players move there when a couple of months ago, they were in a worst situation than us would be incredibly frustating.

Who believes that the whole "he's waiting to see if we stay up" claim is actually true?

I think it's true, on FM i was skint and colo, jonas and barton were out of contract and i couldn't afford there wages so they fucked off however Enrique took a 25 grand pay cut, made me love him even more!!

Jose is a geordie  :smitten:

It is irrevelant whether he signs a contract or not.  If he signs and the club want to sell, they will command a higher fee for him and if he wants to leave, he will just put in a transfer request.  If Jose doesn't sign then it probably will give him more options because unless the club can create a bidding war, with one year left on his contract he will be more affordable to a wider variety of clubs.  (And we should make a good profit on what we paid for him).

I just hope that if he does leave, that it will be to a Champions League club and not Liverpool.  I have a feeling that if Reina does decide to leave Liverpool as has been rumoured, that Given will move there and having our players move there when a couple of months ago, they were in a worst situation than us would be incredibly frustating.

Considering the fact that pretty much every decent player that has left in the last few years has supposedly put a transfer request in, I would imagine we're in the habit of cutting deals with them. In this situation I'd imagine we would allow Enrique to leave but only if he signs a new contract first, therefore preserving the value of the transfer fee. This scenario also gives the added bonus of pissing the fans off even more than usual.

I guess we'll play hardball with Enrique just like we did with Carroll. The club now have an idea what they think is fair pay, and they won't budge on it for anyone. Has positives and negatives.

Apart form he will only have one year left on his deal, so we won't get his true market value.

Who believes that the whole "he's waiting to see if we stay up" claim is actually true?

When we get to "safety" and he doesn't sign then it's him away.

Or of course he could do a Carroll, sign a contract and be away anyway.

Can't see him staying if he thinks there's more ambition (and of course more money) at Liverpool, or Man U or Spurs even.

I agree, in normal world Enrique has done more than enough to be offered a new contract and a decent pay rise.

The problem is, what if his current salary is already outside of the club's new pay policy? He'll be offered either the same money or possibly a pay cut. Now I can't really blame NUFC for that as the wages policy is clear... but it might lead to Enrique thinking twicwe about signing on again.

The excuse over Carroll wasn't just the timing though, it was the level of pay he was supposedly after. We simply won't pay what others will, regardless of the timing. So if Liverpool or whoever offer him more, he'll be off.

It's worth pointing out that Enrique described Carroll's deal there as 'much, much better' than it was here.

Yeh, is my fear actually, though not verbalised.

The wage cap, if it is strictly enforced, will mean our current top top players are likely to go.

And I think the management knows that, they just can't make it public.