José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

That's not the same thing as paying them to the point where we instantly 'do a Portsmouth/Leeds', which is the standard scaremongering bullshit put out whenever anyone suggests we try and keep a good player.

You were just saying something about straw men...?

so carroll and enrique and barton, no doubt colo when his contract hits it's last year should all get bumper rises as they'd done well and that sets the standrads for players coming in and the roundabout begins again.

thats if we follow the line of nikos and many others and give them enough to keep them,seemingly regardless of where the moneys coming from.

i was more clear in saying...

for what it's worth with enrique i'd think we can offer him as much pay as most other teams but he'll go somewhere that offers him more on the pitch than we can right now and unless you can spell out how we should reach the champs league next season then it's a pointless exercise.

He never said that though, at all. That's the point I'm trying to make. He even acknowleges that we've been stupid in the past. 'Fight financially' doesn't automatically mean 'pay more than we can, regardless of where the money is coming from'. As he rightly points out, we're not taking a chance on Luque here, we know what he can do. The point about instantly having to pay all the rest 'bumper pay rises' as well is rubbish IMO. Haven't they any backbone, can't they say no or negotiate on an individual basis? Is every player at every other club on a wage directly linked to all the others, where rises for one player automatically apply across the board?

That's not the same thing as paying them to the point where we instantly 'do a Portsmouth/Leeds', which is the standard scaremongering bullshit put out whenever anyone suggests we try and keep a good player.

You were just saying something about straw men...?

Any thoughts on the Liverpool game?

so carroll and enrique and barton, no doubt colo when his contract hits it's last year should all get bumper rises as they'd done well and that sets the standrads for players coming in and the roundabout begins again.

thats if we follow the line of nikos and many others and give them enough to keep them,seemingly regardless of where the moneys coming from.

for what it's worth with enrique i'd think we can offer him as much pay as most other teams but he'll go somewhere that offers him more on the pitch than we can right now and unless you can spell out how we should reach the champs league next season then it's a pointless exercise.

He never said that though, at all. That's the point I'm trying to make. He even acknowleges that we've been stupid in the past. 'Fight financially' doesn't automatically mean 'pay more than we can, regardless of where the money is coming from'. As he rightly points out, we're not taking a chance on Luque here, we know what he can do. The point about instantly having to pay all the rest 'bumper pay rises' as well is rubbish IMO. Haven't they any backbone, can't they say no or negotiate on an individual basis? Is every player at every other club on a wage directly linked to all the others, where rises for one player automatically apply across the board?

how do we know they haven't ? what i'm taking issue with is the attitude that he hasn't signed cos we are , in his words , being "tight" when we haven't got a clue what he's been offered.

do you think we are being tight ?

With only a year left on his contract he hold the big cards. If he's not going to sign then the worst case scenario is that he walks away for nothing in 13 months time.

Sign on or sell on.

If he does leave I do hope it isn't made in to a charade by the powers that be. Would be disappointing.

equally by a number of our fans.

If he gets booed (playing for another Prem team) I really do despair.

If he does leave I do hope it isn't made in to a charade by the powers that be. Would be disappointing.

If he gets booed (playing for another Prem team) I really do despair.

depends on the manner of his leaving. i doubt carroll would have if the manner of his leaving had been different (transfer request then saying he was forced out)

how do we know they haven't ? what i'm taking issue with is the attitude that he hasn't signed cos we are , in his words , being "tight" when we haven't got a clue what he's been offered.

We haven't got a clue what's being offered or said, so all we can judge is who comes in who goes out. As things stand we've sold our best striker and England's #9 for the foreseeable future and not replaced him. We're possibly going to sell one of the best left backs in the Premier League because he's only got a year left on his contract and for whatever reason doesn't seem compelled to stay. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Tiote is sold this summer, because I believe he's one of the best in his position too and clubs will be interested.

All three of them cost less than £10m if I remember rightly. Now what's the point in finding gems like this at low cost, polishing them up and then not feeling the benefit on the pitch because we've let someone else have them? As I've said before, generally speaking I couldn't give a fuck what the bank balance says, I go to watch football. If good players leave then I'm unhappy. I'm sorry if that's too simplistic in your opinion but that's just the way it is for me.

We haven't got a clue what's being offered or said, so all we can judge is who comes in who goes out. As things stand we've sold our best striker and England's #9 for the foreseeable future and not replaced him. We're possibly going to sell one of the best left backs in the Premier League. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Tiote is sold this summer, because I believe he's one of the best in his position too and clubs will be interested.

All three of them cost less than £10m if I remember rightly. Now what's the point in finding gems like this at low cost, polishing them up and then not feeling the benefit on the pitch because we've let someone else have them? As I've said before, generally speaking I couldn't give a f*** what the bank balance says, I go to watch football. If good players leave then I'm unhappy. I'm sorry if that's too simplistic in your opinion but that's just the way it is for me.

as am i, but it's pointless to just post we've have to do more to keep them when we have no clue what we are doing as that is in effect saying "do whatever it takes"

That's all Nikos said in the first place, that we should do our best to keep him. Pointless post or otherwise.

You were the one who seemingly took issue with it, implying we couldn't afford to do that.

That's all Nikos said in the first place, that we should do our best to keep him. Pointless post or otherwise.

You were the one who seemingly took issue with it, implying we couldn't afford to do that.

he said....
Unless we show some ambition by spending money on quality players, José will leave and can we actually blame him?

The guy is class and would slot comfortably into any other team out there. He'd look even better when surrounded by other fantastic players and he knows this himself. He wants to play in Europe and earn caps for his country. He won't get that with us if Ashley continues with this 'small club' mentality.

We had the best centre forward in the country, who was still under contract for 5 years and a Geordie, and we let him go. So how on earth can we expect a talented ambitious Spaniard to want to stay in an average team that won't improve?

Yes we have thrown stupid money around on absolute garbage in the past but that doesn't mean we should become tight when it comes to holding on to a genuinely class player. He has proved himself with us already so it's not a gamble. Other clubs want him because he's brilliant so we should fight them financially for him. If we're not interested in having the best players possible then what's the point in trying to compete at all?

so granted we should do our best to keep him (is there evidence to say we aren't?) he also infers he could easily fit into a team with better players and says we are now being tight and as i've said i doubt wages are so m uch the problem as on the pitch stuff which would cost a hell of a lot more than we can afford right now. also he mentions the small club mentality....where does he think the 'debt' went ?

GuillemBalague Guillem Balague

@happyandy80 all i know about jose enrique is that LFC is following him. There r doubts about his defending hence no decision on him yet

Hmmm.

fuck off. :lol:

he said....
Unless we show some ambition by spending money on quality players, José will leave and can we actually blame him?

The guy is class and would slot comfortably into any other team out there. He'd look even better when surrounded by other fantastic players and he knows this himself. He wants to play in Europe and earn caps for his country. He won't get that with us if Ashley continues with this 'small club' mentality.

We had the best centre forward in the country, who was still under contract for 5 years and a Geordie, and we let him go. So how on earth can we expect a talented ambitious Spaniard to want to stay in an average team that won't improve?

Yes we have thrown stupid money around on absolute garbage in the past but that doesn't mean we should become tight when it comes to holding on to a genuinely class player. He has proved himself with us already so it's not a gamble. Other clubs want him because he's brilliant so we should fight them financially for him. If we're not interested in having the best players possible then what's the point in trying to compete at all?

so granted we should do our best to keep him (is there evidence to say we aren't?) he also infers he could easily fit into a team with better players and says we are now being tight and as i've said i doubt wages are so m uch the problem as on the pitch stuff which would cost a hell of a lot more than we can afford right now. also he mentions the small club mentality....where does he think the 'debt' went ?

He doesn't say we are now being tight though. ???

He's clearly asking for balance, acknowledging stupid spending in the past but hoping we keep a good player based on what we know he can do.

he said....

He doesn't say we are now being tight though. ???

He's clearly asking for balance, acknowledging stupid spending in the past but hoping we keep a good player based on what we know he can do.

doesn't "doesn't mean we should become tight" mean he thinks we are being tight ?

Not how I'd read it, no. Reads that he hopes we don't become tight on this particular situation and lose a good player as a result. :dontknow:

Just as you said before, he's hoping we do the best we can. That might seem like a pointless post to you but he's fully entitled to make it.

Anyway he can fight his own corner from now on, it's bed time. :lol:

@happyandy80 all i know about jose enrique is that LFC is following him. There r doubts about his defending hence no decision on him yet

Hmmm.

I would say there are doubts about his attacking, his defending is superb, has lapses now and again, but I'm yet to see a winger take him to the cleaners this season.  His pace and strength is ridiculous.

Hmmm.

I would say there are doubts about his attacking, his defending is superb, has lapses now and again, but I'm yet to see a winger take him to the cleaners this season.  His pace and strength is ridiculous.

Ssssh man, they might be listening. Yeah yeah his defending is suspect. I wouldn't be taking a punt on him....

Don't worry, our PR department are already working on him being made out to be a 'Judas'.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I think the fact this has come to light so early and it hasn't been a shock announcement has allowed me to come to terms with it. I am now at the stage where:

I will be shocked and delighted if he stays

And

I am looking forward to seeing how good his replacement is