José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

He could have said back in the autumn he'll stay the rest of the season, help us reestablish ourselves back in the division but he wants to join a club in the Champions League or whatever and I bet most would have accepted it and wished him the best of luck. He's took us for a ride since then with the 'wait until we're safe' crap.

Very much agreed. We've given him nothing but support since he got here (or started playing here) and he cant even be slightly honest with us.

Shouldn't be in the team tomorrow either if he doesn't want to be here.

Guest Shaun

My thoughts exactly Neil. Could have said then I'll give my all until the season to keep us up (which he has) but said he needs to go to fulfill his ambitions of playing for Spain and in the Champions League.

He'll definitely get into the Spain squad now. Not sure they even have a proper left back.

Guest Stephen927

I don't think many would have been too happy if we had just come back into the league and our best player at the time was talking about leaving after the season.

But looking ahead to next season, Enrique told the Chronicle: “To finish in the top 10 is important this season.

“We’ll see what happens next year and which players come to us.

“We have a great squad here though, and we have been very unlucky with injuries.

“Next season we will hopefully get new players and try to build on a top-10 finish.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/05/09/jose-enrique-sees-positive-nufc-foundations-72703-28660486/#ixzz1MywMCUNZ

Suprised he said that if he had his heart set on going all along as well.

I don't think many would have been too happy if we had just come back into the league and our best player at the time was talking about leaving after the season.

Well no, I doubt many would have punched the air with delight declaring "wahey, champion that!", but it's a hell of a lot better than the ride he looks like he's taken you on.

Guest Stephen927

Bottom line is, he's helped massively to secure our Premiership status. I can't really begrudge the lad a move, I don't think he's been stringing us along, more trying not to disrupt team harmony and disillusion the fans tbh.

I wish him well if he moves on - he stayed with us in the Championship, whilst others bailed out at the first opportunity. I'd say his going is more to do with a lack of ambition from Ashley who still seems intent to run the club on the cheap, with the safety first mentality. Which good players in their right mind would come here for just that? We need rid of the fat prick and his henchman.

I couldn't care less where he goes if we get £15m for him in his final year of his contract, it's a mental fee, he's never going to demand that again when sold on.

In two or three years time when we get players like him through the doors again we will be able to keep them as we will be where they and us want to be, until then we keep getting inflated fees and as long as we invest back in to the club sensibly then there's no reason why it won't happen.

Liverpool sold Owen at the height of his career for less than than due to him being in his final year of his contract, it was seen as a smart move, for me same goes here with this deal. He's been wanting to go for some time, and apart from some tv performances from him we've not seen a fully focused player since Carroll left.

Time to get excited about a new left back, possibly two for the price of Enrique and having two would leave us with a stronger squad.

Skrige - Enrique will have far more an idea of what's going on behind closed doors than we do. If the ambition was there to push the club onwards and have a crack at Europe next season, I reckon he would stay. We all know what the problem is though and the £35million Carroll cash thing is starting to unravel now.

if he goes to liverpool for £15m, then those fuckers have given us £50m in less than 6months. Can't see their fans being to happy about that. Would prefer he went to a Spanish side however.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I can't really bring myself to hate the guy. Stuck with us during relegation and has given us some absolutely amazing performances. We've known his heart hasn't really been here for quite a while now so it's no shock.

Skrige - Enrique will have far more an idea of what's going on behind closed doors than we do. If the ambition was there to push the club onwards and have a crack at Europe next season, I reckon he would stay. We all know what the problem is though and the £35million Carroll cash thing is starting to unravel now.

How is it unraveling? This season has even ended and the transfer window is still firmly shut!  :lol:

I just wish he would give the club a chance to spend and try to show if they are serious, he is young what's the rush, another season here won't hurt.

While I can see where you're coming from BG, I still agree with Skirge - looking at it totally from Jose Enrique's perspective he can "afford" to spend another year here, at the end of which he will have an even longer list of suitors to choose from.

If he leaves this summer, he will only have the choice of those few clubs willing to match the fee Ashley demands, whereas should he wait until his contract expires virtually every club in Europe will be after him...

I will only feel anger towards the club for losing him if he leaves, non towards Jose himself.

Should be pointed out to him for us to show ambition then that means we need to keep our best players, so selling him is not an option.

Year left or not, take the risk refuse to sell and hope we can do well enough before January to convince him to sign a new deal.

Unless we get crazy money (circa £15m+) early in the window, I'd make him honour his contract personally.

Also, I wouldn't sell him to a Premiership rival (again, unless crazy money enters the equation early in the window).

if he goes to liverpool for £15m, then those fuckers have given us £50m in less than 6months. Can't see their fans being to happy about that. Would prefer he went to a Spanish side however.

£50m for two players when Ashley couldn't sell the club for £80m a year ago.

Guest Shaun

I will only feel anger towards the club for losing him if he leaves, non towards Jose himself.

Should be pointed out to him for us to show ambition then that means we need to keep our best players, so selling him is not an option.

Year left or not, take the risk refuse to sell and hope we can do well enough before January to convince him to sign a new deal.

And buy another left back with jelly beans and candy floss.