Why do we bother with Shola?

Parky

You know in the odd game he looks quite lethal when he decides to up the tempo from his loping gate. Wanders around grinning  and scowling..."The balls over there Shola!!" More grinning, hands on hips.

Is he quite useless or our secret weapon this season?

I can never make me mind up about him.

Will Sam work his magic?

Will he give Viduka a run for his money?

Will there ever be world peace?

Is god love?

Its a good question really, I was expecting Sam to sell him or loan him out at least but it seems as though Sam is willing to give him a shout at 1st team football.

he did play through the pain for the club last season, put his career at risk doing so but he did it for his love of the Toon, the lad will always play with passion and at time does look like a decent player. My biggest gripe with Shola is the needless free-kicks he gives away on a constant basis, every time he challenges for the ball he catches players with a flailing arm or leg, its cost us lots of times when we are  in a good position to create a goal scoring chance or just to keep pressure on a  team.

Carroll will be the one to take Shola's place, probably next season then Shola will have no choice really but to move on if he wants to play in a 1st team.

Guest firetotheworks

Sholas a strange one. His level of quality would suggest he's good enough to be a sub, but Ive never seen him come on and change a game. When he started last season he was scoring goals, although still amidst people saying he wasnt good enough. This season I imagine he'll get plenty of oppurtunities though, thats for sure. Id like to see luque given a chance if he's playing well in the reserves though.

He's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be, he plays for the shirt, he's probably not costing us much, and he seems to accept being low down the pecking order and continues to fight for a place, bringing optimism and a positive attitude, rather than sullen disgruntlement, to the bench.

Pretty good option, really, for a fifth-choice striker.

He's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be, he plays for the shirt, he's probably not costing us much, and he seems to accept being low down the pecking order and continues to fight for a place, bringing optimism and a positive attitude, rather than sullen disgruntlement, to the bench.

If a player is happy being a sub I want him out of the club. [brian Clough/]

It's make or break time for him I think.  Sam has stuck with him because he's not bad for a fourth or fifth choice striker and offers a bit of variety to the others.  He's not a target man or a pacey frontrunner, he's a sort of loping-gangly-get-in-the-way-of-everybody-type of player.  Like Asprilla without the skill.  He'll really need to sharpen up his game if he's going to have a future though - better first touch, less silly fouls, sharper to the ball, not give the ball away, more mobility, more of a goal threat - he's had the excuse of injury before now but it's shit-or-get-off-the-pot time imo. 

The suspicion remains he talks a good game but he's not good enough

difference between accepting and being happy

as Ozzie said 'fight for a place'

Guest firetotheworks

That quote will be from a long time ago though surely? Footballs changed a lot. Im not saying that players should be happy to be on the bench, but if a player loves the club and is fighting for a start but is benched a lot then thats fair enough in my opinion. Steve Harper might have took that philosophy too far though and spoilt his professional career.

Ozzie is too derranged by the Berlin nightclub scene to make any sense on these boards ever again. :razz:

'Zactly.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Been here far too long, but managers past and present have never felt the need to sell him so there must be 'something' there

Been here far too long, but managers past and present have never felt the need to sell him so there must be 'something' there

Fair point. Plus, start getting ready for work! haha, I havent even left for the gym yet :$

That's cause Sir Bobby thought he was Carl Cort....Souness thought he was a 'proper player' and Roeder thought he was 'world class'. :razz:

Guest Magpiecn

He is not at the same level with Martins ,Owen,Viduka and Smith.If hes as the forth or even fifth striker,why not give the youngsters a chance?So its wise for him to leave next year.Though he loves NUFC,it will good for his career.

Looks lazy, can't run, isn't strong on the ball, tackles with his elbows, useless in the air & has an awful first touch (most of the time). Having said all that he can beat a player & can also score goals at the highest level.

Never going to be a world beater but he is a very useful squad member & at times he looks unplayable - a long time ago but, he was outstanding when we lost 3-1 at the Nou Camp; he scored one & nearly put us ahead.

That's cause Sir Bobby thought he was Carl Cort....Souness thought he was a 'proper player' and Roeder thought he was 'world class'. :razz:

Big Sam probably thinks he's a masseur

I think Ameobi's future at Newcastle is under threat now and he definitely has to deliver this season. Its said every season, but Allardyce won't keep him if he doesn't do the business. If Amoebi doesn't impress, and Carroll goes out on loan and does the business i think he might be out of the door come summer 2008.

Not sure on Shola as others have said. He makes Martins look the model of consistency.

One thing I am sure of though, he shouldn't be getting a look in if two of Owen, Martins, Viduka and Smith are fit. They are all simply better players.

Bet you Shola's goals per game ratio compares pretty well with Smith's.

Which won't be anything to shout about since Ameobi is gonna be the 2nd choice big man striker, while Smith is gonna be playing deeper and will get less games than Ameobi up top.

Has a role this season. If Viduka is injured, then away from home, if we go 4-5-1 we will need a target man. Arguably Carroll could aslo do that role but Sam will use Shola as he will see him as more experienced and stronger.

Until we settle on a system (which i'm not sure we will anyway) there is a role for a big strong forward when we change shape, which may even be during games. 

Bet you Shola's goals per game ratio compares pretty well with Smith's.

Which won't be anything to shout about since Ameobi is gonna be the 2nd choice big man striker, while Smith is gonna be playing deeper and will get less games than Ameobi up top.

Well, I was thinking, up until now, rather than this season coming, but I take your point.

I just looked at their records. Shola one goal in 4.8 games; Smith one in 4.7. Yeah, Smith has spent more time playing deeper, but he's also made way more starts. Forty percent of Shola's appearances were from the bench; Smith's, only 20 percent.