Hammers eye Solano move - More Oliver bollocks?

Leazes1986

Guest firetotheworks

I dont see how we love him too much, at times he's the only one with any ideas, he can play a killer pass, makes nice runs, has an excellent first touch and is really creative.

Anything over £1m and i'd take it.

What would be the point? Still a useful squad member and we don't exactly need the money.

Money for an old player, wages off the books, new player in.

That was the plan when we sold Gary Speed, except he went on to perform better than any of our CM's over the last 3 years.

Speed has a different engine to most living humans tbf.

Not much different to Solano tbf, both are experienced players who's whole game has never been about pace, Solano has more ability than the majority of the squad put together, he has fantastic vision and a great range of passes, his biggest asset for us at the moment is that he can come in and fill in in a few positions.

If we want to replace him then we have to be looking at bringing someone in far superior to him and Milner, are we in a position to bring someone like that to the club? SWP is the only player who springs to mind and I'm not sure Chelsea would sell this close to the season starting, other than that I can't see many players jumping at the chance to sign for a team without European football.

Let him see his final year out with the club and hopefully we'll be in a position to attract better players then.

I don't mind admitting that's probably the best option all round especially if he is looking to become a coach, i just wouldn't be too disappointed if we did sell him for money, for free is absurd and shouldn't be considered unless we really do have SWP's or equivalent lined up along with a proper RB.

Speed wasn't about pace but he has retained what he's always had, and of course stamina that can only be described as out of this world. Nobby doesn't have that, and for me is aging a lot quicker than Speed, even though Speed is 5 years older.

Guest optimistic nit

Anything over £1m and i'd take it.

What would be the point? Still a useful squad member and we don't exactly need the money.

Money for an old player, wages off the books, new player in.

That was the plan when we sold Gary Speed, except he went on to perform better than any of our CM's over the last 3 years.

exactly.

and aye toons taylor, we will need to replace him sometime, but how exactly will we do that now, with no european football? we'd need to shell out shepheard like wages to get a decent technical player in, if we keep him he could be a very important player for us in the next 2 years. In the celtic game 2 of the goals were soley down to his crossing and vision. I'd say he'll be worth more than 1 mill plus wages to us in the next 2 years, and even if we eventually let him go for nowt, his performances will be worth more than a poxy 1million we don't really need.

I have a feeling we may be about to see solano's best season for some time, if he is a regular starter.

I just cant see Solano's legs lasting much longer, if we sell him it means were thinking about a replacement, it would be great to see someone come in for him, young, fresh, with pace because ATM we have no pace down the right (Dyer doesn't count) and without someone leaving i cant see that changing for a while.

Like i've said it matters not to me what we do with him. I don't think for one moment his talent matches the fans general opinion of him, we love him far too much as a general rule.

i think he has 2-3 years left in him. like baggio said, his game isn't about pace, its all about technique and vision, which i feel gets better with age. we need experienced players. the 2 goals he set up against celtic are a great example of what he can offer. Its like when england dropped beckham (incidently something i initially supported). pace isn't needed when a winger has that much crossing ability, vision and technique. Imagine owen and viduka, fit, with solano in the team. Were in no position to attract a replacement good enough anyway.

I see Nobby more becoming to NUFC like how Dennis Bergkamp became for Arsenal towards the end of his career. Players like these are part of the history of the club and will retire legends to the clubs they played for...We can bring in Nobby every now and then to play in the important games at least for one half of the game...Nobby will always be a black and white and will retire a black and white...

I don't see any point in selling him unless silly money is offered which it obviously won't be.

....I'd like to see him move into a coaching role with us when the time is right.

So would I. Unlikely though imo as he seems set on returning to Peru going by comments he's made in the past.

I don't see any point in selling him unless silly money is offered which it obviously won't be.

....I'd like to see him move into a coaching role with us when the time is right.

So would I. Unlikely though imo as he seems set on returning to Peru going by comments he's made in the past.

He wants to play for Boca Juniors again doesn't he?

He wants to play for Boca Juniors again doesn't he?

I've heard that mentioned too actually, I think he said he loved the culture and food etc. of Argentina. Pretty sure he's said he wants to move home when he finishes playing too though.

I think I still get more pleasure from watching Nobby play than almost any other NUFC player.  His intelligence, vision, technique etc  is all the more apparent because it has been so lacking in many of our other players recently.  There is definitely a role for him within the squad.

And what is it with West Ham's obsession with our players.  No doubt they will be after Milner next week.

Guest Sniffer

I'd ask for 10 mill for dyer and Solano. Much as I like Nobby, he is getting on and knowing when to move a player on is what a good manager does...like Ferguson, for example.

Solano is past it. If you notice when he plays right wing these days he struggles to cover the right back when he has gone forward.

What a load of crap.

He is still the best technical and most intelligent footballer at the club by a mile.

Guest optimistic nit

But his legs aren't what they used to be, no doubt about it.

does that make much difference?

I'd ask for 10 mill for dyer and Solano. Much as I like Nobby, he is getting on and knowing when to move a player on is what a good manager does...like Ferguson, for example.

any, and wenger...

£10million? I think we'd take that like :laugh:

Guest mobiius

nobby was happy as larry when he got brought back, now why would he want to go down the smoke when he is perfectly happy up here, its like one of the lads said previously, anal oliVERSION is always at the mix trying to unsettle players, the sun's been doing it for years so it seems that water will always find its own level. The man is a complete and utter slink of the worst nature. The sooner he takes his laptop over to the dark side and starts preaching his shite to them lot who will believe every word if it starts with keane, the better for every one.

But his legs aren't what they used to be, no doubt about it.

does that make much difference?

Of course it does. When Solano moves forward and we lose the ball the fact he can't get back quick enough puts our RB under more pressure. Also the fact that after 70mins playing on the wing he is usally knackered and innefective for the last 20 mins. The move to RB was good for him last year as he could pick and choose when to go forward and so could conserve his energy.

Of course it does. When Solano moves forward and we lose the ball the fact he can't get back quick enough puts our RB under more pressure. Also the fact that after 70mins playing on the wing he is usally knackered and innefective for the last 20 mins. The move to RB was good for him last year as he could pick and choose when to go forward and so could conserve his energy.

The pitch is the same size for a winger as it is for a defender, if he does chose his forward runs as a defender then he can do the same as a winger except chose when to get back.  If he's knackered for the last 20 minutes then use a substitute, that's what they're for, I've seen younger players than Nobby look more knackered than he does and they've often done less work.

Oliver's reached a new low with this. His already dodgy reputation has taken a battering this summer and he seems to be digging a bigger hole for himself.

Seems the club are happy to release a lot of their news and interviews through their website these days, which is vastly improved, leaving Oliver second to a lot of the news and forced to guess and make stuff up. In the past he was bad enough but he was clearly drip fed bits of mundane news in return for arse licking articles, making his columns worth reading for the odd bit of news. Now he actually has to do some real journalism and the vast majority of his columns just aren't worth reading any more.