Cacapa! How do you think he'll do?

BONTEMPI

I thought this thread had been resurrected as Cacapa is out for 5 weeks.  Or at least that's what SSN are saying.

(SSN are saying Cacapa is injured, not the injury is the reason for the thread being resurrected!!)

Read the thread?

I thought this thread had been resurrected as Cacapa is out for 5 weeks.  Or at least that's what SSN are saying.

(SSN are saying Cacapa is injured, not the injury is the reason for the thread being resurrected!!)

Read the thread?

Nope.

• 3 months later...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/07/21/kk-cacapa-experience-is-vital-for-newcastle-72703-21376975/

KK: Cacapa experience is vital for Newcastle

Jul 21 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United central defender Claudio Cacapa has every right to feel he is the club’s forgotten man.

But Kevin Keegan insisted today that he has not forgotten the 32-year-old, who has played for the full Brazilian national team.

And Keegan believes that it is this experience and the fact Cacapa has “been round the block a few times” which will still be of benefit to United.

Cacapa has had an up and down career at St James’s Park since Sam Allardyce brought him from Lyon on a free transfer 12 months ago.

In fact, while he came on as a second-half substitute for Abdoulaye Faye in the final game of last season in the defeat by Everton at Goodison Park, Cacapa got his first start at Hartlepool on Saturday since the mauling at Aston Villa early in February.

The player, who has now taken French citizenship, will know that United have been linked with other central defenders in the close season, particularly Richard Dunne and Anton Ferdinand.

But he will be lifted by his manager’s words, with Keegan telling me today: “Claudio Cacapa is a good man to have around the place, and another one who has worked very hard in pre-season.

“He hasn’t played for a long time, but he’s clever.

“He’s been round the block a few times in terms of his experience at Lyon.

“I thought in the first half on Saturday, when we were a little bit under the cosh because Hartlepool started off so well, he was the one who just held it all together for us.”

Keegan did not have defenders Habib Beye and Faye available for Saturday’s short hop down the coast.

Beye has a bit of calf trouble, while Faye is being eased back after playing for Senegal in the African group of World Cup qualifiers well into the summer.

Geremi is in the same boat as Faye after being on international duty with Cameroon, while new signing Jonas Gutierrez’s paperwork has not come through following his transfer from Real Mallorca.

Michael Owen (calf) and keeper Steve Harper (shoulder) were not risked at Hartlepool, but have a full week to recover before Saturday’s friendly at Doncaster Rovers.

But Andy Carroll is in plaster after a freak holiday accident, and fellow striker Mark Viduka is not being rushed back from his Achilles tendon problem.

United’s other absentee, Joey Barton, is expected to be released from jail in the next two or three weeks.

People forget the amount of times he held us together at times last season, particularly under Allardyce. I remember that game at Fulham. His first game back after the Portsmouth debacle and a lot of questions were asked of him, and he was a rock. Got way too much stick based on one bad performance. He's no world beater but certainly a decent option. Think our best spell last season before Keegan came in was when Cacapa partnered Faye. I remember the Spurs game up here where he scored and he didn't give Keane, Bent, and then later Berbatov a sniff all night.

i like the guy, chipped in with a couple of goals, wanted to play for the team so much he played unfit, and unfortunately copped it big time.

he was captain of lyon for 5 seasons they won the championship in a row, and to do that you'd have to be a good, solid player.

Struggles when faced with a physical forward ala Villa away 2nd half last season when O'Neil brought Harewood on and went route one.

OK or better when faced with teams who play more of a passing game.

Struggles when faced with a physical forward ala Villa away 2nd half last season when O'Neil brought Harewood on and went route one.

Totally agree. So when you have a squad of 3-4 centre-backs with different abilities and flaws, you should base your team on this. Although I still think Cacapa & Faye is our best pairing. (awaits Toon's Taylor to enter the fray)

Solid player, copped a lot of flak due to Taylor last season

absolutely

to be honest Taylor struggles against physical forwards anol. And dont anyone dare give me the Drogba argument, he's scored how many goals against us?

ffs Taylor was outmuscled time and time again against Kenwyne Jones

Totally agree. So when you have a squad of 3-4 centre-backs with different abilities and flaws, you should base your team on this. Although I still think Cacapa & Faye is our best pairing. (awaits Toon's Taylor to enter the fray)

Without a shadow of a doubt imo. Good centre-back, if a little lightweight.

He is worth keeping, he did have some poor games but had some good ones too, I also like the way we have had nothing from him in the media crying on about not getting games or anything.

Who knows another  season here and he may settle a bit more..

Is infact Geremi according to the Shields Gazzette.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Cacapa-is-important-for-Newcastle.4308548.jp

Glad he didnt pack his bags back and leave as soon as the season ended, would have been well within his rights! I think he has good charachter and its quite right that we need the experience back there even if he isnt playing every game, training and passing on his knowledge is a big thing.

Still has a part to play here imo.

Guest Stephen927

Got a fantastic footballing brain but as we saw last season was outmuscled a lot of the time and was a bit of a liability in the air.

Faye would be the perfect partner for him at the moment, and I hope we see more of that with Taylor on the bench. I like Taylor but he still has a lot to learn.

Cacapa is shite man but he is easy on with his casual style. His lack of inactivity at Lyon the previous year did Newcastle no favors. If people are building case for Cacapa, I guess there is case for Roz out there somewhere as well :yikes:

ffs Taylor was outmuscled time and time again against Kenwyne Jones

Off Kenwyne Jones!!! The Greenwich born Taylor is soft as shite man.

I read that your hero got muscled by 3 trannies, which I am sure you will say is 3 more than Shearer. O0