re: 2nd yellows, straight reds, penalties & diving

bulivye
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i know my poll doesn't quite match my real question, as you'll see, but--there's a great deal of pressure on refs to make the really difficult decision with only a split second's view of the action, and many don't make the hard calls listed above.  teams know this and increase that pressure by surrounding the ref etc...  what i've really been thinking about, is whether or not the game of football would be damaged if the rules were changed to take some of this pressure off refs...    what do you think?

don't really know what you're driving at but i'd like to see bookings/punishment given retrospectivly on diving etc

i wish one of the national papers would have thye bottle to,on a monday morning,devote the back page to "CHEAT!" and show pictures of those who have cheated over the weekend

It's hard to accuse a player of diving, though. Imagine if you slip in the box and you get up to see the referee waving a second yellow card at you for diving. It's a bit of a grey area for me.

I would like to see players who go and surround the ref or mouth off to the ref yellow carded. Would stop them all doing it.

it's easy,the ref just needs to go into each dressing room before the game and say to each team "i will listen to you through your captain only,any swearing will get you booked,shout at me,you'll get booked,when i mark out 10yds if you dont retreat to where i say you'll get booked,good luck and i hope we all have a good game"

Diving/cheating. Boils my piss tbh.  >:(

Also when the ref bottles giving the 2nd yellow when he have shown it had he not already booked the player. If it's a yellow, it's a yellow imo.

don't really know what you're driving at but i'd like to see bookings/punishment given retrospectivly on diving etc

i wish one of the national papers would have thye bottle to,on a monday morning,devote the back page to "CHEAT!" and show pictures of those who have cheated over the weekend

fair comment, i think i've really got 2 items. 1) what i'm trying to drive at, ultimately, is, should the rules be changed regarding the listed infractions so that the ref doen't feel like he's changing a match's outcome by making these types of calls.  if they were, i think the ref would show more bottle to give that 2nd yellow if it meant that the penalised team went down to 10 men for just 10 mins (just an example).  2) which non-call bothers you the most, or are you most relieved wasn't called if it were to be against your team?

clear as mud now, i'm sure!  :angel:

I would like to see players who go and surround the ref or mouth off to the ref yellow carded. Would stop them all doing it.

it's easy,the ref just needs to go into each dressing room before the game and say to each team "i will listen to you through your captain only,any swearing will get you booked,shout at me,you'll get booked,when i mark out 10yds if you dont retreat to where i say you'll get booked,good luck and i hope we all have a good game"

You should work for the FA !

fair comment, i think i've really got 2 items. 1) what i'm trying to drive at, ultimately, is, should the rules be changed regarding the listed infractions so that the ref doen't feel like he's changing a match's outcome by making these types of calls.  if they were, i think the ref would show more bottle to give that 2nd yellow if it meant that the penalised team went down to 10 men for just 10 mins (just an example).  2) which non-call bothers you the most, or are you most relieved wasn't called if it were to be against your team?

clear as mud,mix in some flour,add some soil,weeds and moss........thats how clear it is ;D

Players intimidating the refs are meant to get booked anyway IIRC.

Should be more like Rugby Union where the only players who are even allowed to talk to the ref are the 2 captains. There's just no respect for the ref anymore... :undecided:

fair comment, i think i've really got 2 items. 1) what i'm trying to drive at, ultimately, is, should the rules be changed regarding the listed infractions so that the ref doen't feel like he's changing a match's outcome by making these types of calls.  if they were, i think the ref would show more bottle to give that 2nd yellow if it meant that the penalised team went down to 10 men for just 10 mins (just an example).   2) which non-call bothers you the most, or are you most relieved wasn't called if it were to be against your team?

clear as mud now, i'm sure!   :angel:

clear as mud,mix in some flour,add some soil,weeds and moss........thats how clear it is ;D

hmm... so what's REALLY transparent is that i didn't really think through my original post :blush: :lol:

hmm... so what's REALLY transparent is that i didn't really think through my original post :blush: :lol:

on this forum i reckon you got it spot on

penalties

when a 'weaker' opposition goes to grounds like old trafford, anfield, stamford bridge, emirates the ref's are scared to give a pen

they sometimes will when it is a blaitent penalty but most of the time they just let it play on but a slight touch at the other end its a pen straight away

penalties

when a 'weaker' opposition goes to grounds like old trafford, anfield, stamford bridge, emirates the ref's are scared to give a pen

they sometimes will when it is a blaitent penalty but most of the time they just let it play on but a slight touch at the other end its a pen straight away

we've been on the plus sid of that in years past

Diving, diving, diving.

When i sit down to watch the beautiful game, its the only thing that taints the beauty of it, specially since the referees don't catch on to it much.

If there is a shout for a penalty since a player has gone to ground inside 18yards, and it is clearly a clean tackle, i would like to see a yellow card for the dive. Obvious the officials know its a dive, what else could it be? Yellow card please, unless its a funny situation, like someone perhaps tripping over the foot of a defender AFTER a clean tackle, or losing balance after being tackled. But if there is intent to try and go to ground with minimal contact, give them a yellow, would teach a couple lessons.

Joga bonito :lol:

No-one likes diving, but let's face it, it's often difficult for a ref to spot. If they get pressured to be more strict, then I think you'll see people getting booked who haven't dived. It already happens now and then.

Three areas where I'd like to see refs more strict -

1 - Getting penalties re-taken when the keeper moves off his line. It happens 80% of the time, but for some reason, refs no longer enforce the rule.

2 - Giving free kicks for obstruction when defenders block attackers when the ball runs out of play. Sometimes the defenders are nowhere near playing distance of the ball.

3 - Attackers who deliberately take the ball to the corner flag to waste time should be penalised for unsporting behaviour or whatever it's called now. This would mean a re-interpretation of the existing law, but it's long overdue.

Excellent post. Something needs to be done to raise the respect for the referees, and if that happens I think we'll start to see a gradual decline in cheating as a knock on effect. Another reason this would be a good one to enforce is that it's probably the easiest one to do.

Guest LucaAltieri

No-one likes diving, but let's face it, it's often difficult for a ref to spot. If they get pressured to be more strict, then I think you'll see people getting booked who haven't dived. It already happens now and then.

1 - Getting penalties re-taken when the keeper moves off his line. It happens 80% of the time, but for some reason, refs no longer enforce the rule.

2 - Giving free kicks for obstruction when defenders block attackers when the ball runs out of play. Sometimes the defenders are nowhere near playing distance of the ball.

3 - Attackers who deliberately take the ball to the corner flag to waste time should be penalised for unsporting behaviour or whatever it's called now. This would mean a re-interpretation of the existing law, but it's long overdue.

Number 2 is spot on... I hate that.

Number 3... well, thats just tactics. Smart play. If you start booking players for that then next step is to book players for passing the ball around to waste time, which is just getting a bit silly. Goal keepers stopping to tie their boot lace when taking a goalkick, fair enough... general fannying about with freekicks/throw-ins to run down the clock, that needs a booking too. And generally I think refs are on top of that. But keeping posession in a useless position? Not sure that needs a booking to be honest.

Number three is bullshit. as much as it pisses you off when the opposition does it, you have to admit it is a very effective tactic of ensuring three points. The ball is in play. If the opposition want it, come and get it. Shearer was the master of it.

^ Indeed. Because aye, it's unsporting to not give the ball away to a team trying to get an equaliser :lol:

When you possession of the ball you do what you want with it.