Newcastle United 0-0 Aston Villa - 18/08/07 - Post Match reaction from Page 12

James

Absolutely hate the sanctimonious c*nts who come on here and chastise anyone who dares to try and figure out what went wrong when a result doesn't go our way.

Responding to an opinion makes you a sanctimonious c*** but posting your opinion fastest means you're right?

It's all about debate mate.

If someone said, "Well, actually I thought so-and-so had a good game, because.." that would be a debate.

Saying "Oooh, don't be nasty, we can't win them all" when you dare say someone wasn't up to scratch today isn't a debate.

As a performance, it wasn't bad, it was just... ...stale. Toothless.

I'm not looking for a debate on how people should debate the game.  I don't see how an opinion is sanctomonious when we've all seen the same game.  No-one has more insight of it than anyone else. it's all opinion.

There are certain people on the board that won't stand for any negative criticism. Happy clappers.

But Owen was s*** and shouldn't get near an England squad should he?

;)

Can he play 90 minutes for us first?

“What we did for their goal was our own fault. It came a long way from our corner and that sort of thing becomes very, very costly.

“Fortunately, this time it didn’t hurt us, but the next time it will. We’ve got to cut that sort of ragged defending out. Not just from defenders, but from midfielders on the edge of the box.”

What BSA said after a 3-1 win. Which is why I'm confident he'll work out what went wrong today.

Several times a goal could have been tapped in, just by luck, if that had happened the booing people would have been ecstatic. So would I have been. On the whole it wasn't that terrible, not a classic but really, we've all seen so much worse.

Owen is just a very limited footballer that offers nothing but getting on the end of things. Basically had 10 men when he came on, it's always been the way he's played pretty much.

Really worried we will change things around to try to accomodate him. I thouht we definitely looked worse once we switched to the 4-4-2.

That may well be the ugly truth. I like the 4-3-3, but I don't think it suits either Owen or Martins. We switched to 4-4-2 to accommodate Owen, and we looked less effective.

Interesting, but I actually think Martins looks a threat in the 4-3-3. He tends to run at people more and had a couple of nice runs during the game. He could definitely improve though and he would.

2) Aston Villa played extremely defensive. Mellberg and Laursen for me played like 9/10 and won every duel. Villa also played with 3 defensive midfielders; Reo-Cocker, Petrov and Barry(at least they ran back to defend every time), and at times Agbonlahor and Young also defended(!). That left only Carew/Moore up front, and with a midfield like we played today, we were never going to break that Villa-wall.

Having good defenders play like that does not mean you are playing defensively, it means you are defending well. To be honest, with what they were up against today, Mellberg and Laursen barely got out of first gear. Laursen won absolutely everything in the air the whole 90 minutes. I'd also point out that there was one team hoofing the ball up the pitch aimlessly, and it wasn't Villa. We're the away team, that's what away teams do - soak up pressure, hit on the break, especially when they have players with pace like Young and Agbonlahor.

I'm struggling to think of Carson having to do anything other than Rozenhal's shot on goal which brought a save out. Conversely, I can think of Carew's shot, Harper tipping NRC's shot round the post, Laursen's header cleared by the keeper, and Agbonlahor shooting rather than passing to NRC for an absolutely certain goal.

It is a bit too easy to say "they're a defensive team". We haven't even got a right back at the club, FFS, we had a 20 year old midfielder playing there, and he barely had to break sweat. And why criticise mdifielders for tracking back to defend?  Oh, and ironically, I thought we gifted you midfield.

Your MotM was without a doubt Milner, he looked absolute quality. The only other one worthy of mention was Zog, i thought, who i think will be a big player for you if you handle him right. Viduka was awful, I thought, although I still think he will turn out to be a good signing.

Overall, I thought it was a mediocre match between two sides who still have a lot to do. I'm happy with a point as we're basically hanging on squad-wise until MON does all his business on the last day of the window. The booing was sad to hear (although, I'll admit, there were boos at full time in our match last week, which is remarkable, although I suspect they were aimed at the ref), but you've got to give Big Sam time to put things right, you really can't expect him to come in and wave a magic wand and make everything OK.

He'll get it right.

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

I think that N'Zogbia must play left wing,not left back.

agreed, but we know that enrique is gonna play left back, just wait till he's up to scratch....

2) Aston Villa played extremely defensive. Mellberg and Laursen for me played like 9/10 and won every duel. Villa also played with 3 defensive midfielders; Reo-Cocker, Petrov and Barry(at least they ran back to defend every time), and at times Agbonlahor and Young also defended(!). That left only Carew/Moore up front, and with a midfield like we played today, we were never going to break that Villa-wall.

Having good defenders play like that does not mean you are playing defensively, it means you are defending well. To be honest, with what they were up against today, Mellberg and Laursen barely got out of first gear. Laursen won absolutely everything in the air the whole 90 minutes. I'd also point out that there was one team hoofing the ball up the pitch aimlessly, and it wasn't Villa. We're the away team, that's what away teams do - soak up pressure, hit on the break, especially when they have players with pace like Young and Agbonlahor.

I'm struggling to think of Carson having to do anything other than Rozenhal's shot on goal which brought a save out. Conversely, I can think of Carew's shot, Harper tipping NRC's shot round the post, Laursen's header cleared by the keeper, and Agbonlahor shooting rather than passing to NRC for an absolutely certain goal.

It is a bit too easy to say "they're a defensive team". We haven't even got a right back at the club, FFS, we had a 20 year old midfielder playing there, and he barely had to break sweat. And why criticise mdifielders for tracking back to defend?  Oh, and ironically, I thought we gifted you midfield.

Your MotM was without a doubt Milner, he looked absolute quality. The only other one worthy of mention was Zog, i thought, who i think will be a big player for you if you handle him right. Viduka was awful, I thought, although I still think he will turn out to be a good signing.

Overall, I thought it was a mediocre match between two sides who still have a lot to do. I'm happy with a point as we're basically hanging on squad-wise until MON does all his business on the last day of the window. The booing was sad to hear (although, I'll admit, there were boos at full time in our match last week, which is remarkable, although I suspect they were aimed at the ref), but you've got to give Big Sam time to put things right, you really can't expect him to come in and wave a magic wand and make everything OK.

He'll get it right.

agreed.

except the last sentence.

He'll get it right.

good post. though centre-halves like mellberg and laursen are par for course in the premiership, most teams have good players in that position and we'll come up against that standard every week. if we can't get past them we've not got the quality or the manager is doing something wrong. not saying that is the case for us, far too early to make that judgement.

Despite the fact that we under-performed, i thought we looked far more organised in every department. When we attacked we did so as a unit and when we defended we did the same. A far cry from the days under the last two bosses where the players ran around like headless chickens.

Allardyce has made defending well a priority and it seems to be working. However, it seems he may have to look closer at what our offensive strategies are. I think 433 is far more suited to away games but fear had we played 442 we would have lost today.

from the telegraph report

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/08/19/sfgnew119.xml

Butt's brilliance overshadowed as Owen returns

"One man truly catching every eye was Newcastle's Nicky Butt who was giving a master-class of the holding midfielder's role. He was always available, calling for the ball, using it impeccably with accurate delivery and scuttling back with tackles and interceptions whenever Villa were in possession. He was at the level of form that him one of Sir Alex Ferguson's favourite sons at Manchester United. He was man of the match by a distance."

from the telegraph report

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/08/19/sfgnew119.xml

"One man truly catching every eye was Newcastle's Nicky Butt who was giving a master-class of the holding midfielder's role. He was always available, calling for the ball, using it impeccably with accurate delivery and scuttling back with tackles and interceptions whenever Villa were in possession. He was at the level of form that him one of Sir Alex Ferguson's favourite sons at Manchester United. He was man of the match by a distance."

Thats top quality 5 star BS.

RE: Rodhmainho's post.

Isn't it always the case though? when a new manager comes into a club they build from the back, and seek to sort the defence out to stop losing games. To be fair to Sam, he's looking like succceding in that department, as we do look organised, and a lot more structured and solid in defence now.

I'm sure we'll progress and improve, if some of the more variable support at the match dont get on his back and heap the pressure on the team. At times last year we looked scared stiff at home with the crowd turning on the players. Lets hope it doesnt happen this year.

Was there really booing going around? :lol:

I heard it on Setanta.

Madras, do you really not think Allardyce will get it right?

Just sounded minimal on MOTD...

Owen comes on.... first thing commentator says "Good news for England".... FUCK ENGLAND !!!

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

i dint go to the match, i watched it on sum australian channel, and when the full time whistle went thats all i could hear, reading other posts some people didnt hear it, i guess the booers were where abouts the commentators were thats why it sounded louder, but for booing, thats just stupid....

we'd of probably lost that game if we still had roeder in charge or souness.... well battled!

In response to Northern boys love gravy!:

I agree, we fought well for the point.

The final pass was missing today, and bar a couple of chances, we didnt create enough, I'm sure Sam and the players know this but it wasn't from lack of effort from what I saw.

Some days you can't rip teams apart, and goals wont come, so you have to battle, and today we did.

Hell, even Man Utd dont score every game and they've got the likes of Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo, etc, etc.

Just a fact that sometimes we wont score, and those games are the ones we need to make sure we dont concede in.

Guest Dr Jeckl

I think butt's sound me like,i just don't dont know where owen's going to fit in.

I was talking to Oba the other day on the quayside,seems like a sound kid,just needs a bit of confidence,he is deffentley 22 aswell,looks pure young.