"Fergie Eyes Up Martins" writes Custis in The Sun

NSG

From .couk

SAM Allardyce says that Newcastle United have received no offer for striker Obafemi Martins and insists that the Nigerian will remain a Magpies player.

The 22-year-old hitman started the season in emphatic fashion, his brace helping rip apart Bolton Wanderers in the opening day 3-1 win at the Reebok Stadium.

There had been speculation linking Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United with a move for the former Inter ace in recent days, but Big Sam insists the club is yet to receive any approach for Martins.

"There has been speculation about Obafemi Martins every week since I have been at Newcastle and he is still here," said the 52-year-old gaffer.

"I've had no contact from any football club either in this country or any other country regarding wanting to activate the clause in his contract.

"From that point of view he is still a Newcastle United player.

"The only way he wouldn't be a Newcastle United player is if someone activates that clause and nobody has."

You get the feeling he's begging for someone to activate the clause when you read it  :lol:

From .couk

SAM Allardyce says that Newcastle United have received no offer for striker Obafemi Martins and insists that the Nigerian will remain a Magpies player.

The 22-year-old hitman started the season in emphatic fashion, his brace helping rip apart Bolton Wanderers in the opening day 3-1 win at the Reebok Stadium.

There had been speculation linking Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United with a move for the former Inter ace in recent days, but Big Sam insists the club is yet to receive any approach for Martins.

"There has been speculation about Obafemi Martins every week since I have been at Newcastle and he is still here," said the 52-year-old gaffer.

"I've had no contact from any football club either in this country or any other country regarding wanting to activate the clause in his contract.

"From that point of view he is still a Newcastle United player.

"The only way he wouldn't be a Newcastle United player is if someone activates that clause and nobody has."

You get the feeling he's begging for someone to activate the clause when you read it  :lol:

Well I'll be ... looks like Oliver was right!

Talk about making someone available! Looks like there have been enquiries but no one wants to pay the £13 million which activates his clause.

We'll probably end up flogging him for £11 million!

Whatever ... we'd better have someone lined up to come in. I get the feeling there might be plans push Alan Smith further forward in a 4-3-3 if Oba goes.

Loaning Martins to Man Utd would at least get a good level of coaching into him.  Maybe he would come back a better player than if he stays here for a year. As for selling and not loaning I would rather lose Owen. I hate worring about him getting injured everytime he plays. Where as Martins is also alot younger and not made of glass.

Loaning Martins to Man Utd would at least get a good level of coaching into him.  Maybe he would come back a better player than if he stays here for a year. As for selling and not loaning I would rather lose Owen. I hate worring about him getting injured everytime he plays. Where as Martins is also alot younger and not made of glass.

I don't get either 1) The assumption that he won't be coached well under Allardyce or 2) That going to Man Utd will iron out the flaws in his game given he arrived from Italy lacking decent movement or touch.

I don't get either 1) The assumption that he won't be coached well under Allardyce or 2) That going to Man Utd will iron out the flaws in his game given he arrived from Italy lacking decent movement or touch.

blueyes.gif

blueyes.gif

I think it will be at least 6 months to 1 year until Allardyce gets 100% set up behind the scenes with the exact staff and facilites he wants. I`m no expert so i`m not sure whos coaching staff are better ours or Man Utds ? I would hazard a guess that SAF has some good people in place after the amount of time he has been there. I remember a certain C Ronaldo who was as eratic as Martins. Ronaldo improved greatly after just one year under SAF. 

He was younger at Inter and wasn`t regarded as a first team player.

blueyes.gif

I think it will be at least 6 months to 1 year until Allardyce gets 100% set up behind the scenes with the exact staff and facilites he wants. I`m no expert so i`m not sure whos coaching staff are better ours or Man Utds ? I would hazard a guess that SAF has some good people in place after the amount of time he has been there. I remember a certain C Ronaldo who was as eratic as Martins. Ronaldo improved greatly after just one year under SAF. 

He was younger at Inter and wasn`t regarded as a first team player.

I take onboard your points without necessarily agreeing with them all but I can't see the benefit in loaning him out. What do we get out of it, other than the possibility he'll come back a better player. If he does well, he'll probably leave and if he doesn't we're a player short for a year. In either scenario we can't afford to lose him. The only scenario in which we can is if he's sold and we buy a replacement.

How does it look like Oliver was right? :lol:

Looks like Martins is being made available for the right price.

Dontcha think?

He's available at £13m whether we like or not. Fuck all to do with him being made available.

Dontcha think?

Erm, if there's a clause, we haven't got a choice, have we?

Oliver had him off to Arsenal iirc.

Dontcha think?

Depends on what the release clause actually says, no? Wouldn't think the clause would require a sale, even if the threshold is met, if player and team both want player to stay.

Dontcha think?

He's available at £13m whether we like or not. f*** all to do with him being made available.

True, but those Allardyce quotes practically read like we've started an advertisement campaign to get shot of him.

Dontcha think?

Depends on what the release clause actually says, no? Wouldn't think the clause would require a sale, even if the threshold is met, if player and team both want player to stay.

It's up to the player I'd imagine. 'We' being the club.

Dontcha think?

He's available at £13m whether we like or not. f*** all to do with him being made available.

True, but those Allardyce quotes practically read like we've started an advertisement campaign to get shot of him.

Captain Pessimist returns :laugh:

You do have a point, although not to the extent that you've taken it.

Dontcha think?

Captain Pessimist returns :laugh:

You do have a point, although not to the extent that you've taken it.

*takes a bow* ;)

Dontcha think?

The language "From that point of view he is still a Newcastle United player" gives off that vibe (i.e., from other points of view he's not, and he's available at the right price). Hard to tell with just the words on the page though.

I just hope we don't sell him for anything less than the release clause. Those quotes just don't fill me with confidence. then again I might just be reading too much into them.

Just don't want to lose the little fella.