> Which footballers autobiographys have you got?

Leazes1986

Robbie Fowler's is pretty poor, well the bits I read which was only a few chapters ;)

But it is quite funny the way he has to blame everyone bar himself for all his troubles. Well mainly Gerard Houllier. It's a shame really, cos Fowler does himself no favours and comes across poorly because of it.

I'd never buy an auto biography of a player still playing. Why line the pockets of multi millionaires, of greedy young men who'll do anything for a dime.

I'm embarrassed by the fact Gerrard goes down the 'Hello' magazine route in his career, and this autobiography is just another part of that. I just have no interst in pampered footballers.

Coaches / managers biographies are quite interesting though, or players long retired who may have something interesting to say.

Guest TinoInHiding

I've read most of the NUFC 'usual suspects' autobiographies, but for pure entertainment value this is in a class of its own....

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0753508036.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I can highly recommend it, even for non-NUFC fans

• 9 months later...

Wow just the thread i was looking for, have ordered four from amazon that i have had recommended to me got, on the way:

Addicted - Tony Adams  (Apparently this holds the mantel for best autobiography)

Patrick Vieira - My Story

Ian Wright - Mr Wright

Perry Groves - We all live in a Perry Groves World

Never read a football auto biography before, looking forward to them coming though, the first one i will read because it is being touted as the best is Addicted then Perry Groves.

Going to order Bobby Robson one too i think should be an interesting one!

Guest Chief Bluntasnot

I have Pele's, Shearer's and Lee's. I got Johnny Cash's from the Newcastle airport the other week also, isn't Kluivert releasing one soon?

Guest Matt10

Wow just the thread i was looking for, have ordered four from amazon that i have had recommended to me got, on the way:

Addicted - Tony Adams  (Apparently this holds the mantel for best autobiography)

Patrick Vieira - My Story

Ian Wright - Mr Wright

Perry Groves - We all live in a Perry Groves World

Never read a football auto biography before, looking forward to them coming though, the first one i will read because it is being touted as the best is Addicted then Perry Groves.

Going to order Bobby Robson one too i think should be an interesting one!

Ash, I have Tony Adams' and it is brilliant. Probably my favourite of the ones I own :thup:

Also have Rob Lee's, Sir Bobby's, Malcolm Macdonald's, Pele's and Stuart Pearce's. Got a signed copy of the Three Legends book as well which was a great read.

Kevin Keegan

Bobby Robson - Farewell but not goobye

Alan Shearer - My Story So Far

Rob Lee - Come In Number 37

Glenn Hoddle - My 1998 World Cup Story (was interested to see what he had to say about Gazza more than anything)

Kenny Dalglish (Bought this when he was our manager)

There's plenty i want though. Gonna get Gazza's. Anyone recommend any good ones? I might buy Roy Keane's. I can't stand him but i think it'll be a good read.

Keane's book is shite, stopped reading it about half way through (about two years ago).  He's such a self obsessed arsehole

Guest paulod

I've read most of the NUFC 'usual suspects' autobiographies, but for pure entertainment value this is in a class of its own....

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0753508036.02._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I can highly recommend it, even for non-NUFC fans

Yep second that its a great book, especially the bit when he's just signed for us :-)

Also Tony Cascarino's is worth a read

• 11 months later...

Reading Perry Groves at the moment, it's hillarious, loads of really funny moments, worth a read for you all, i've got time on my hands so decided to write up an extract from it about Shearer.

It was around this time, April 1988, that I came across another man who was to become a soccer legend. We went down to Southampton and, as usual, the Boss started going through their team. We were expecting their Irish international centre-forward Colin Clarke to be playing, but his name was missing and there was an unknown in his place. ‘The centre-forward is a young kid making his debut’, said George. ‘Alan Shearer.  Shearer...  Shearer...  anyone know anything about him?’

There was a silence until someone mentioned he might have played for an England under-19 side. In that case, we had a spy in the camp as Paul Merson had also played for them, so he should know all about him. George wasn’t panicking - that wasn’t his style – but you could see he didn’t like sending his team out against someone he had no knowledge of. So he turned to Merse, who wasn’t in the line-up that day. ‘Merse’, he said, ‘What do you know about him?’

We all paid close attention as Merse gave us his run-down on the youngster we would soon be facing. ‘He is not a natural goal scorer’, he said. ‘He runs the channels well, holds the ball up well and is quite strong. But he is not a box player’.

‘That’s great’, George said. ‘Thanks Merse.’

Ninety minutes later, the boss wasn’t in such a good mood. Seventeen-year-old Alan Shearer had become the first player to score a hat-trick on his full debut in the 100-year history of the First Division, as far as anyone could tell from the record books. He had certainly become the first player to score three on his debut in England for 21 years that afternoon.

Before he retired, Shearer would become the most expensive footballer in the world and score 379 goals in his career – 30 for England and 260, a record, in the Premiership. We had just seen him notch the first three in out 4-2 defeat and George was not a happy bunny. We all went into the dressing room and sat down and waited for it to happen. George put one of his feet on one of the benches and carefully began to shine his shoe. It was not a good sign. I thought the whole thing was hilarious but didn’t dare to let on.

‘Where is he?” the Boss asked. We didn’t need to be told who he was looking for. There was silence – and certainly no sign of Merse. That was because he was hiding in the showers. ‘Merse, are you taking the piss?’ George went on. “’Where is he?” He then added – as if I needed to = ‘Remind me never to send him on a scouting mission.’

The boss then walked out and Merse plucked up the courage to appear and put the case for the defence. ‘I am not a scout – don’t ask me next time.’ I don’t think the boss planned to!

Guest Stephen927

Patrick Viera

Lee Sharpe

Peter Shilton

Arsene Wenger the Professor - a biography type thing about his managerial career

Kenny Dalgleish

Paul Gascoigne

Chris Waddle

Alex Ferguson

Bobby Robson My Autobiography

Sven Goran Eriksson

David Beckham

David Ginola From St Tropez to St James

Wayne Rooney

Kevin Keegan

David Beckham An Englishman Abroad

Paul Gascoigne The Inside Story