The 'daft footballers who can't talk properly' thread

brummie

I say it like 'Drogbah' like how it would be said phonetically. Motson trying to get pronunciations right is admirable to an extent, but its irritating his viewers. Speaking of which. Did anyone watch the Bayern vs Bremen match the other day? The co commentator has a stutter. Fuck being PC, if you're endearing yourself to an audience you dont want to annoy them by having them second guess everything you're going to say.

Rather listen through that than Alan Smith's droany Brummie shite. Probably would be alright if he didn't talk shite.

It has always really, really annoyed me when football managers, whilst talking about the game, refer to "the football club" rather than "the club", in some kind of misguided attempt to appear deep and intelligent.

Example usage: "I want players here who want to play for the football club". Like we didn't know what kind of club they meant ....

I always considered Stuart Pearce to be the worst (although both MON and SA are occasional offenders), but today I've seen two interviews with Sammy 'Championship' Lee, where he uses the term about 12 times.

Is he the least intelligent manager in the league?

It's actually subliminal identification. It's a defence mechanism that shows a sign of anxiety. ie Look I'm talking about 'the football club'...I'm not here don't look at me or blame me....etc...

but he was talking about the club,is he supposed to talk about it without mentioning it ?

I thought the idea of what Brummie was saying was repitition. No?

was it ?  thought it was the use of the term football club instead of just club

"I always considered Stuart Pearce to be the worst (although both MON and SA are occasional offenders), but today I've seen two interviews with Sammy 'Championship' Lee, where he uses the term about 12 times."  Brummie.

I think his point is not so much that Little Sammy says it a lot, but that the word "football" is, in this instance, entirely unnecessary.

But why does he?

Why does he what?

Guest firetotheworks

tbf and tbh are like silencers on a gun I think. Its hard to put across the way in which you want to say things on a message board. Someone might take what youve typed as being aggressive when it isnt. I personally use tbf, tbh or imo just to let them know im not trying to be a cock about a reply or whatever.

tbf and tbh are like silencers on a gun I think. Its hard to put across the way in which you want to say things on a message board. Someone might take what youve typed as being aggressive when it isnt. I personally use tbf, tbh or imo just to let them know im not trying to be a cock about a reply or whatever.

no....."tbh" is used on this board like "innit" in london or "like" in elswick

It has always really, really annoyed me when football managers, whilst talking about the game, refer to "the football club" rather than "the club", in some kind of misguided attempt to appear deep and intelligent.

Example usage: "I want players here who want to play for the football club". Like we didn't know what kind of club they meant ....

I always considered Stuart Pearce to be the worst (although both MON and SA are occasional offenders), but today I've seen two interviews with Sammy 'Championship' Lee, where he uses the term about 12 times.

Is he the least intelligent manager in the league?

It's actually subliminal identification. It's a defence mechanism that shows a sign of anxiety. ie Look I'm talking about 'the football club'...I'm not here don't look at me or blame me....etc...

but he was talking about the club,is he supposed to talk about it without mentioning it ?

I thought the idea of what Brummie was saying was repitition. No?

was it ?  thought it was the use of the term football club instead of just club

"I always considered Stuart Pearce to be the worst (although both MON and SA are occasional offenders), but today I've seen two interviews with Sammy 'Championship' Lee, where he uses the term about 12 times."  Brummie.

I think his point is not so much that Little Sammy says it a lot, but that the word "football" is, in this instance, entirely unnecessary.

But why does he?

Why does he what?

Say it a lot?

It's clearly displacement. Here look at this big thing the club....Not me don't look at me....etc...Managers do it more under stress, Stuart Pierce started doing it a lot at the end...

Just an observation.

Guest firetotheworks

no....."tbh" is used on this board like "innit" in london or "like" in elswick

Wey I cant speak for everyone. Thats just how I use it.

Nothing can beat a good smiley for that. :)

I say it like 'Drogbah' like how it would be said phonetically. Motson trying to get pronunciations right is admirable to an extent, but its irritating his viewers. Speaking of which. Did anyone watch the Bayern vs Bremen match the other day? The co commentator has a stutter. Fuck being PC, if you're endearing yourself to an audience you dont want to annoy them by having them second guess everything you're going to say.

Rather listen through that than Alan Smith's droany Brummie shite. Probably would be alright if he didn't talk shite.

[move]RENT BOY[/move]

Sorry  :giggle::lol:

what a bunch of whiney gay bastards you lot are.  I realise that the NHS cutbacks are bitting deep;  but surely the docs realise that they cant , for the sake of all thats humane, take away your valium sweets!! 

I know theres nothing on tv these days, but  why subject the innocent to your demented tirades?

I was referring to the use of the term "football club" rather than "club", which is deeply annoying.

It is almost as if the little toad faced scouse git had acquired a book of manager speak and swatted up on it to sound the part.

I was referring to the use of the term "football club" rather than "club", which is deeply annoying.

It is almost as if the little toad faced scouse git had acquired a book of manager speak and swatted up on it to sound the part.

He does look remarkably like a toad like. A toad with piggy eyes.

Guest firetotheworks

what a bunch of whiney gay bastards you lot are.  I realise that the NHS cutbacks are bitting deep;  but surely the docs realise that they cant , for the sake of all thats humane, take away your valium sweets!! 

I know theres nothing on tv these days, but  why subject the innocent to your demented tirades?

Nowt wrong with a good moan now and again. Leave us to it if its annoying you.

Does it annoy anyone else when people pronounce 'sixth' as 'sikth'? Its fucking Sixth!

Haha yeah, and when people say 'arksed' instead of asked. That does grind my gears a bit. Also when English people pronounce foreign words in an English way. Like MaLLorca instead of Majorca. (as in actually say the L's) :rant:

To be fair to Motson, I know a reporter in central Europe who met him before a game in Slovakia or somewhere, and Motson was quizzing him about the correction pronounciation of all the players' names and so on. My friend was impressed by his attention to detail.

No one cares though, and if the whole world pronounces it one way, so should he. Or it's just annoying.

Disagree.

It always grates on my ears when I know the correct pronounciation, and they're getting it wrong.

I hate the way Lawrenson and others call Hamann "Ha-mann", for example.

Think this is a case of him actually using the correct pronunciation, but one completely different to what everyone else uses.

Fucks me off how commentators make excuses for the better players when they mess something up.

(Lampard passes out for a goal kick) 'Well you could see what he was trying there, great vision'

(Nolan passes out for a goal kick) *Silence*

agreed. "oh and lampard wasnt far off there with that effort"... ball trundles off for a throw in

btw i suggest you lot watch the program "grumpy old men" although i cant criticise because ive just contriuted to the thread! shit! :knuppel2:

I don’t know how anyone on here can complain about clichés, unnecessary mannerisms, etc from players and managers.

We’ve got them too… I challenge someone to count the occurrences of “tbf” and “tbh” on these boards.

How many instances of “good shout”?  Any takers?

You get it within any group of people. Ours are just as annoying as theirs. Leave it.

oh yes millions not just you!  ;D

We don't get paid s*** loads to annoy millions of people tbf.

:lol: