Middlesbrough 2 - 2 Newcastle - 26/08/07 - Post match reaction from page 18

Dave

On repeated viewing that Zoggy goal gets better and better. Fucking class. We need him back on the wing.

I really hope the Zoggy bashers are watching him play now. His attitude on the pitch is exemplary. He's been playing out of his ideal position yet he tracks back, puts in the challenges, plays for the team... and has grabbed a couple of goals. He's also been the first one to go celebrate with the rest of the players when others have scored.

The situation with him last season was unreal, and the treatment from a clueless manager likewise.

We should play Enrique left back and move N'Zogbia to the wing next game and definately drop Milner. He's the one who always picks the ball up with the most space to run it into but never does anything with it. Frustrating as fuck.

Ramage cemented his already terrible reputation, he was appallingly poor on the ball. Didn't think his stock could fall any further.

Agree Dave - his distribution was awful.

I would've liked to have seen Cacapa on for Carr but can only assume his fitness is not 100% reliable as yet?

After this and the villa game, if we don't inject any real pace into that midfield! We can say bye bye to 6th place at the very least!

2 games i've watched on setanta and to of the most mind boggling boring football i've witnessed!

We looked a joke against villa and a f****** joke against so called strugglers!

Nothing has changed! Apart from maybe drawing as opposed to losing, but who in there right mind would even consider putting Ramage on?  :idiot2:

We are f***** if we don't sign anyone creative!  Smith was as shocking as i'd thought he'd turn out to be, when we signed him!

Was better watching football under roeder, FACT! i've never been as bored or less optimistic as i am right now, f****** 4-3-3 again? What did he think would happen!

Fuckwits!

Emre and Barton will give our midfield something extra imho

TBH totally forget about Barton! slap!

That's if he doesn't go down, and Emre could fill in that role as long as I midfield doesn't drop back in 1 line all the time!

Huge gap between them and the forwards!

Smith needs to be up front or nowhere tbh.

Not sure I agree with that - I think smith can do a job in midfield and I also think there will be games where he dominates this season and looks immense.

Lets give Sam's approach time.

Harper - 6 - couple of good saves, few hesitant moments.

Carr - 5 - n/a

Taylor - 5 - never got to grips with Mido, who was fantastic for Boro. looked a bit better at right-back.

Rozehnal - 6 - nothing special

N'Zogbia - 8 - a couple of dodgy moments when passing it out from the back, but class going forward and superb goal. not exactly thrilling that our best creative outlet was our makeshift left-back.

Geremi - 6 - busy and always made himself available for a pass. underhit quite a few square passes, which he will have to cut out if he wants to play centre-midfield regularly. didn't offer much on the right.

Butt - 6 - did a half decent job.

Smith - 4 - offers nothing that Butt and Geremi don't do better, and useless going forward. poor man's scott parker?

Milner - 5.5 - couple of decent tricks to make space, poor delivery, lack of pace held us back, never got to grips with the 4-3-3

Martins - 5.5 - one or two bright runs, not least when viduka set him away in the first half. looked better going through the middle.

Viduka - 6 - sheer class for his goal, and had one or two moments of excellence on the rare occasion when he actually controlled the ball. would've been getting a 4 had he not scored that tho, total liability in the 4-3-3 in his unfit state and lost 90% of balls up to him. has to play in a 4-4-2.

Ramage - 5 - Peter Ramage.

Owen  - 6 - looks very sharp considering. get him on earlier next time. got into a good position but feebly passed at the keeper.

Cacapa - 7 - nails. him and rozehnal look like the best centre-half pairing.

One of the things that's annoying me is Geremi taking absolutely every set peice.  All throws near goal, all corners, all freekicks, he's producing nothing with them, so why is he taking them all?  Let Milner and N'zogbia take some for suck sake!!

I still think things are positive for the future to be honest. We have plenty of quality players, a good manager, and better players unfit/injured. We just haven't clicked yet.

There are enough signs for me so far, it'll take me a while to get as despondent as some already are.

For the effort we had, I think a draw was a fair result, although I think its reasonable to expect a win from this fixture.  I really hope Enrique starts the next Prem game so that the Zog can go on the left with Milner on the right in a 442.  I'm not ready to write off Smith yet, but get him out of the team until he offers something more than nothing going forward with occasional unchecked aggression going backward.  He looks caught in some horrible limbo between midfield and forward.

The only time I would play smith would be 4-3-3 with him as one of the front 3, as he's going to ground to much in midfield, ala parker.

Guest fishman09

in relation to our inabilty to offer any real creativity going forward from midfield, we are at the moment, due to injuries, forced to play 3 defensive midfielders.

we have: duff, emre, barton, nzogbia to come back (as everyone keeps saying) which will improve our attacking options massively.  but i do agree that we maybe need to bring in a real creative, quality midfielder.

i can see probs down the line tho...no way we are going to come close to keeping all our forwards and midfielders happy (even without adding to what we have) even if we play 4-4-2....who plays?

fish

Where is Solano? Could've done with him.

Good question.. Looks like he's vanished into thin air. He certainly would have had more to offer as right back than Carr or Ramage one would be inclined to think..

Not only that, he would have been the only creative spark in midfield as well.

The result is not bad and not holding to the lead two times is a bit disappointing, but the most worrying thing was imho the overall performance. We do create f*** all with a midfield of Smith, Geremi and Butt. Martins isn't a winger either, so there is nothing coming from him as well. No wonder the strikers are looking shit when the only creative player in the whole team is playing at left back...

We desperately need Barton and Emre back to at least get a bit of spark into the team. The best would still be to look at the options left in the transfer market.

Some people need to get their expectations down a bit and remember what we have been doing since SBR left.

We did "ok" today, we are still trying to get new players to settle in and are playing new formations.

We are missing our 2 central midfeilders who will really create anything attacking wise so its no surprise that we struggle at times in the final third.

See some seem to be jumping on Taylors back aswell, he didn't cover himself in glory for the first goal but neither did Woodgate for Vidukas and some on here would happily take it up the arse if Woodgate arsed them nicely! I though Taylor was very good today in general although I wouldn't mind seeing him play a bit at right back so we can see more of the so far impressive Cacapa.

If we beat Wigan at home, then that's 8 points out of 12.  If anyone was expecting more than that then they need their heads examining IMO.

Would equal our total in the same number of games as the 01/02 season too.

If we beat Wigan at home, then that's 8 points out of 12.  If anyone was expecting more than that then they need their heads examining IMO.

The thing that annoys me is that we could already have 7 yet we simply cant hold a lead this needs to be adressed or we will achieve nothing.

Wigan game we need to attack and score early or another frustrating score will happen

Where is Solano? Could've done with him.

Good question.. Looks like he's vanished into thin air. He certainly would have had more to offer as right back than Carr or Ramage one would be inclined to think..

Not only that, he would have been the only creative spark in midfield as well.

The result is not bad and not holding to the lead two times is a bit disappointing, but the most worrying thing was imho the overall performance. We do create f*** all with a midfield of Smith, Geremi and Butt. Martins isn't a winger either, so there is nothing coming from him as well. No wonder the strikers are looking shit when the only creative player in the whole team is playing at left back...

We desperately need Barton and Emre back to at least get a bit of spark into the team. The best would still be to look at the options left in the transfer market.

Are you feeling okay? :razz:

Smith did a destroying job in midfield. Sadly Geremi and Butt did very similar. Milner was complete garbage, nice kid, not good enough. Taylor wants a slap for Mido's goal. Cacapa is quicker than Taylor by some distance - in thought as well as physically - just an observation.  Nice to have options.

We need a right back unless Geremi plays there.

WE STILL have nothing in terms of pace or guile to break teams down or stretch them.

Martins wants to stop running down the tunnel the soft shite.

Viduka is in a no win situation until we can actually get him some service. What he has had in the last two games has been appalling.

Generally, we have an awful lot of work to do!

Big Sam points:

• Draw feels like a defeat
  • Dissapointed by Carr (hamstring) and Ramage (knee) injuries
  • Feels now that he'll have to be very active in the transfer window next week to cover those injuries
  • Feels Viduka got harsh treatment but liked that he didn't celebrate properly
  • Hopes we grow from this and go on to better things
  • Wishes that the Mido offside was correctly given but can understand why the linesman put his flag up