Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

So we are now on page 17 and still no sign of any positive attributes for Taylor?

He's a Geordie.

No he's not.

Correct. Born in London, Boro fan in his youth. Some Geordie!

Where did you hear about him being a Boro fan?

It's the unwritten rule of footballers. Whenever they say they supported the club they play for, they REALLY supported someone else. So Downing supported Newcastle while Ramage and Taylor supported Boro, Sir Bobby Robson was a mackem and Steven Gerrard was an Evertonian.

In truth, it's all bollocks.

So we are now on page 17 and still no sign of any positive attributes for Taylor?

He's a Geordie.

No he's not.

Correct. Born in London, Boro fan in his youth. Some Geordie!

Went to school with him at Monkseaton. Year below me. I even bet him we'd them once. Beat the 2-1 with two Shearer headers from crosses from the right IIRC. It's all bollocks about this Geordie since birth stuff. Not that it bothers me too much, he's a decent player. Nowt special.

Guest Erich von Manstein

Nee idea but if you see him again tell him to fucking wrap in with the cringeworth man-of-the-people act, ta

Have I killed this thread by actually supporting a controversial statement for once? I should have just said something and then refused to quantify it like everyone else!

Fair enough. I'm still not convinced though. As I say, it's always the same with footballers. They say they support someone, you can guarantee someone will swear blind they hated them. Seems odd to me that he'd be touting himself as a Boro fan despite having been on Newcastle's books for four years at that time. I'm not that arsed though, I don't rate him.

Guest Knightrider

Been pointed out a thousand times, but Ameobi was good for the U21's.

No he wasn't, he just scored a few goals at that level, his actual performances were poor however from what I remember. Taylor in general all-round play for the under21s is a different player to the one that plays for us. Rarely gets caught.

• 9 months later...

From The Times' Top 50 British footballers of 2008.....they've gotta be joking!!

32. Steven Taylor

The defender is that rare thing, something for Newcastle fans to be optimistic about. The England under-21s mainstay, now 22, has been a lynchpin at the back even as all tumbles around him.

:laugh:

From The Times' Top 50 British footballers of 2008.....they've gotta be joking!!

32. Steven Taylor

The defender is that rare thing, something for Newcastle fans to be optimistic about. The England under-21s mainstay, now 22, has been a lynchpin at the back even as all tumbles around him.

Should really go in the 'We hate Newcastle United' thread.

32. Steven Taylor

Should really go in the 'We hate Newcastle United' thread.

:lol:

32. Steven Taylor

got a link to that - wouldn't mind a gander.

It's obviously not a list of the 50 "best" British players, as Paul Robinson is on the list. "We’ve tried to give the little-known and the under-rated their due by concentrating on those who have enhanced their reputations this year." Which still means Steven Taylor shouldn't be on the list.

Guest firetotheworks

Very strange list even if it is about players that have enhanced their reputation. Michael Johnson is far far too low, he's come on leaps and bounds. Especially in comparison to Taylor and Milner (Number 8!) who are ahead of him.

Very strange list even if it is about players that have enhanced their reputation. Michael Johnson is far far too low, he's come on leaps and bounds. Especially in comparison to Taylor and Milner (Number 8!) who are ahead of him.

Has he?

Looks like he's gone very much backwards this season, in fact end of last season citeh fans were on his back. Good start to last season though, but has faded since.

Guest firetotheworks

Has he?

Looks like he's gone very much backwards this season, in fact end of last season citeh fans were on his back. Good start to last season though, but has faded since.

On a scale of how much hes come on and how much Taylor and Milner have come on aye. Johnsons in the 40s somewhere and Milners number 8.

Has he?

On a scale of how much hes come on and how much Taylor and Milner have come on aye. Johnsons in the 40s somewhere and Milners number 8.

I think noble is twice the player Johnson is. Johnson isn't living up to early hype, more so than Taylor & Milner without a doubt.

Guest firetotheworks

Has he?

I think noble is twice the player Johnson is. Johnson isn't living up to early hype, more so than Taylor & Milner without a doubt.

I agree on the point about noble, mainly because hes consistently better than Johnson, but I reckon Johnson at his best is a better player than Noble at his best, just my opinion.  But aye, that lists rubbish.