Newcastle 2 - 0 Barnsley - 29/08/07 - Post match reaction from page 6

JH

Did anyone have any problems with the card thing tonight?

We paid to get the game put onto our season ticket card.  However, we didnt hold much faith for the system since there's no way of knowing that it all went through fine.

And we were right.  We got there, the cards got rejected by the machine (unlike the villa game) but they let us in anyway.  Sitting there, in the seats we've sat in for 5 years or whatever, and somebody turns up saying "we're sitting there."  I'm "No you're not".  I have a look at their ticket, and they're right!  They'd sold our seats!

We just moved along a couple.  Dont know what's happened with the payment

We paid to get the game put onto our season ticket card.  However, we didnt hold much faith for the system since there's no way of knowing that it all went through fine.

And we were right.  We got there, the cards got rejected by the machine (unlike the villa game) but they let us in anyway.  Sitting there, in the seats we've sat in for 5 years or whatever, and somebody turns up saying "we're sitting there."  I'm "No you're not".  I have a look at their ticket, and they're right!  They'd sold our seats!

Keep hush and hope they havent taken it tbh.

Guest newcastle4life

Good result and run out for a few players who needed minutes hopefully we can now follow the win with another against Wigan,

Me. Big queues outside gallowgate, and up until about 5 mins into the game. Stewards on the turnstiles didnt seem to have a clue what was going on. Eventually they just let people use other turnstiles, so much for these things making sure people go in the right entrance.

Guest toonlass

Good result and run out for a few players who needed minutes hopefully we can now follow the win with another against Wigan,

Oh Christ. Mr voice of doom, you've screwed it all up now!!!!!!!!!!!!

They didn't even show the full celebration of Martins.

Even SSN showed his celebration!  :cheesy:

Just what I was thinking... you're better watching the SSN highlights for this sort of thing. At least then you expect them to be very "to the point"... in fact they'll be just as good as ITV.

Just watched SSN for a bit, and confirmation... SSN's coverage was a little more extensive.

Funny really, a round the hour news channel showing more than an hour long programme devoted to the highlights of that competition. Quite lowsy indeed.

I thought overall the game was amazing and quality

atmosphere !

round up of players

given - always in right place, came out bit far sometimes

solano - quality no other word!

caca - controlled the back four solid

taylor - played well

enrique - great defenisive headers but looked a bit lost

smith - was in open space but lack of support made him look fustrated

geremi - slowed the tempo down of the game

emre - really slow should'nt have been played

zog - cnt describe how immense the lad is

ameobi - great support for owen

owen - looked a bit slow but scored what more can u ask of a striker

butt - played ok

martins - scored so did his job

edgar - not on for long but was ok

Capaca looked top top class, we have always wanted an experienced quality centre half who leads by example and it looks like we have finally got that. We should bite the bullet and drop Taylor, as harsh as it would be on him, and play Capaca & Rozenhal in the middle, imo. Looking at it on paper those two are the best on books I reckon and would make the best partnership, good ages 31 & 27 and for once we'd have two experienced defenders in the middle instead of 'potential'.

Its all good, its the point of having a squad with regards to Taylor, it wont do him any harm having to fight for his place having competition.

Enrique looked talented, good to see him get 90minutes, hopefully he can feel at home. Just thank god weve got a new LB! But if Big Sam reckons he can start playing him from the off in the Premiership now then hopefully it free's N'Zogbia up to move into midfield.

Thought Butt was quality when he came on, for me he's one of the first names on the teamsheet, he is our best combative defense midfielder imo, big player for us. Great to see Martins come on and scre, and to see Owen score too - Im not his biggest fan but he looked canny, its down to Sam to take his pick now. For me, Martins deserves the shirt, although I wouldnt be against trying them together.

Atmosphere wise, bloody brilliant. It was superb in the corner, great noise and great to see a lot of player songs getting aired, new ones too. Class Geordie welcome for Enrique, would of appriciated those songs for him. The stewards started walking up again during the second half and with the inevitable 'stand up if you love the Toon', the rest of the corner going along into the east stand and the Gallowgate all rose, belting it out, joining in. Very encouraging and superb stuff to see the crowd united, thats exactly the aim. Half the crowd on their feet making a point that the stewards are only going to destroy the atmosphere.

Had a paper ticket which wouldn't scan at all, though I was at the wrong turnstile, the bloke just let me through anyway after a good dozen scan attempts. Not so my dad who was made to go to a right entrance where there were huge queues...his wouldn't scan either. Hope they sort this out soon.

Guest fraser

In the first half thought we suffered from an off the pace Emre (he needs a good few games I think) and an ineffective Smith. Second half was much better. Thought Luis Enrique was excellent personally and the Owen goal was the result of an excellent move. Good signs.

A word for the Barnsley fans who must have sold nearly all their allocation and were good value bearing in mind they were stuck up Level 7 pretty much on their own.

For matches with that sort of attendance why doesn't the club simply close the top tiers in the John Hall and Milburn.

Well what can I say, not the most exciting game I have been to, the noise levels proved that I think, but great to see Zoggy back to the left wing :D Cacapa really does look a class act wgat a difference it makes not having the Bramble panic, I know it was only Barnsley but  he owned them for the full match, Enrique looked very decent to a big lad but he gets up and down the pitch well and for his first game I am very impressed.

Scrappy finish from Owen but he had to score it, the pass was well worth a goal, Shola put him though with pure class on the pass.

Shola played miles better in the 2nd half, but little Oba only getting a few mins and banging one in was  great to see, his world interview is mint, when asked about him being happy and staying here, he ends with saying....

"and the fans love me ,so I really really want to stay here."  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Just an observation after seeing the highlights from last night's game: Owen doesn't seem to have that much power in his legs atm. The acceleration was there sometimes and not at other times but he doesn't have the power to strike a ball like he used to. This is most probably down to lack of fitness, timing and sharpness. I reckon if Owen was fit, the chance he had in the first half would have been in towards the bottom corner. When you're able to fully control how you strike the ball, you can still generate power and keep it low. On that particular occasion, Owen went for power and because he still doesn't have the strength in his legs, he couldn't keep it low. This is also noticeable in his goal. Maybe it's a bit of over-reading but in a few weeks the ball would be almost lofted over the keeper in into the goal (if Owen shoots with the same body rotation and angle). Last night, probably down to this being his first start for us in ages, tiredness would have affected his concentration and how he usually strikes the ball. Anyhow, like I said, it was one thing that came to my mind when Owen was involved.