Do We Need Faye?

Kev

If you've watched him play for us this season it would be pretty obvious why I was referring to him being similar to Parker, he offers nothing apart from the wild sliding tackle. He's not a patch on Viduka as a striker either so you've sort of gone to the extreme to try and prove your point, Viduka was even the better striker than him at Leeds. People don't like him because he's average, you seem to find that hard to take for some reason but I seem to remember you having trouble accepting that people thought Bowyer was average too.

What extreme is this you're on about? Where have I said Smith is anything other than a striker? What is so extreme about believing a player currently being used in midfield is really a striker?

As for Bowyer, when he was used in the middle of midfield he was regarded very well by those who watched him play, his unpopularity on this forum hardly being representative of the reaction of those at the game. Which I'm sure you know.

Extreme by trying to make out he's better than Viduka which is bollocks in all honesty, at Leeds Viduka was the better player and Smith hardly played up top for Man Utd so what exactly are you basing this judgement on? When has Smith ever performed as well as Viduka did last season? As for Bowyer, you could count the great performances he's put in for us and West Ham on one hand and still have fingers left over...

Extreme by trying to make out he's better than Viduka which is bollocks in all honesty, at Leeds Viduka was the better player and Smith hardly played up top for Man Utd so what exactly are you basing this judgement on? When has Smith ever performed as well as Viduka did last season? As for Bowyer, you could count the great performances he's put in for us and West Ham on one hand and still have fingers left over...

It's an opinion about Viduka and Smith. I think Smith has the edge. I saw Smith play up front for Leeds and he looked good. In any case, I see attributes in him that make me believe his best position is as a striker. I think Viduka is a decent player as well in case your imagination is running riot and you think I don't.

Your point about Viduka being better than Smith at Leeds means what exactly? Given that Smith was a young player aged between 20-24, being moved about through various positions the whole while and Viduka was a seasoned professional 5 years older than Smith consistently playing in his best position I think your point has to be taken as a fairly shallow one, tbh. It can't even be counted as daft "point scoring" which often happens on this forum.

BTW I don't give a toss what Bowyer has done at West Ham and before you say it I don't give a toss that he didn't perform consistently as well for us as he did for Leeds. He was decent for us when he was used in the centre, the TEAM needed this type of player and suffered when he wasn't there and it is the team that interests me, not individuals. Bowyer also did better on the right than people watching on TV gave him credit for, as they couldn't see his work off the ball, which is as important as what you do on the ball. He was a player definitely not rated by some as a footballer due to something he'd done aged 18 in his private life.

All this about Smith and Viduka

Smith has had 1 maybe 2 good games since hes arrived, Viduka has been shite and i wouldnt even think of playing him ahead of Martins! He looks very lazy

Cant really remember when they were at Leeds though so i cant comment

Smith has had 1 maybe 2 good games since hes arrived, Viduka has been shite and i wouldnt even think of playing him ahead of Martins! He looks very lazy

Would you partner Owen with Martins then?

I would. Or use Shola. At least until Viduka gets proper fit.

There was only like 1 situation where we needed a tall striker against wigan, and that was Viduka's flick to set off Owen.

Smith has had 1 maybe 2 good games since hes arrived, Viduka has been s**** and i wouldnt even think of playing him ahead of Martins! He looks very lazy

Yes

Martins has done everything right so far when hes played and deserves his place ahead of every striker

Martins and Owen need to be tried. Derby is Ideal IMO. Torres pace destroyed them so Martins should be useful.

Torres has the advantage of very good all-round play though.

Really can't see Martins and Owen working at all. You need one of your strikers to be able to drop deep and link the play. Owen could do that, I suppose, as his touch and general link up play is very good. But really you want him playing on the shoulder of the last defender all the time as he times runs so well and is such a danger to get in behind, so he'd really be wasted deep.

I like Martins, but surely nobody can suggest he's equiped for that role in the least bit?

• 1 month later...

Love it when people bring these sorts of threads back to life virtually the second a match finishes.

It was a question, he is starting to answer it.

He has been very good imo. Just what we need. And Lee Bowyer had 2 good games for us. Just thought I would put that in.

Guest JamesyJazz

I must admit that I did question his signing,but hey!!the man was immense tonight!Deserved MOTM imho.

If he can keep that going and even improve on that we have a class defender on our books.

Love it when people bring these sorts of threads back to life virtually the second a match finishes.

While I doubt you revived this thread for the purposes of showing someone up, many other threads get recalled for that purpose and it's obnoxious.  Opinions can change and a lot can happen in a month.  I admit I was skeptical but hopeful. 

Question:  will this thread be necromancered up when he has a shite game or two?

While I doubt you revived this thread for the purposes of showing someone up, many other threads get recalled for that purpose and it's obnoxious.  Opinions can change and a lot can happen in a month.  I admit I was skeptical but hopeful. 

Question:  will this thread be necromancered up when he has a shite game or two?

Probably but he is now part of 4 centre halfs who all have an abundance of experience in one way or another which means we have squad depth for once which is good.

Question:  will this thread be necromancered up when he has a s**** game or two?

Probably but he is now part of 4 centre halfs who all have an abundance of experience in one way or another which means we have squad depth for once which is good.

I agree we've got good depth atm at centre back.  The full back position is not so good unless you rate Carr and Babayaro;  otherwise the back up for Beye and Enrique are I think players out of their usual position.  Also I assume Beye and Faye will be playing in the Africas Cup, and will therefore disappear for a few games in January.

Why did we buy him for around £2million was it?

He can play at centre half when he have got Taylor Rozenhal Cacapa Edgar Ramage

Centre midfield when we have got far too many to start with!

Yes he could cover a centre half position if 2 of them were injured but £2million is a waste for someone to sit on the bench?

unless big sam will drop someone for him which i hope he doesnt! Cant drop roz cacapa taylor or any centre midfielder

Excellant thread Kev  O0 

We certainly need him now,

Cacapa and Faye  :smitten:

Why did we buy him for around £2million was it?

He can play at centre half when he have got Taylor Rozenhal Cacapa Edgar Ramage

Centre midfield when we have got far too many to start with!

Yes he could cover a centre half position if 2 of them were injured but £2million is a waste for someone to sit on the bench?

unless big sam will drop someone for him which i hope he doesnt! Cant drop roz cacapa taylor or any centre midfielder

Excellant thread Kev  O0 

We certainly need him now,

Cacapa and Faye  :smitten:

ok i was wrong  :razz: still dont know why rozehnal was dropped in the first place but im happy with faye cacapa  :smitten: you never been wrong like?  ;D