The Oba Martins Situation

DJ_NUFC

Sam is playing Owen, bigging him up, trying to prove his fitness, and get him amongst the goals so he can sell him in the winter window where clubs with Euro commitments will pay over the odds for fire power to help them progress in the next round, with no release clause active.

Martins is for next season, and the future.

Doubt Martins is that patient...

Sam is playing Owen, bigging him up, trying to prove his fitness, and get him amongst the goals so he can sell him in the winter window where clubs with Euro commitments will pay over the odds for fire power to help them progress in the next round, with no release clause active.

Doubt Martins is that patient...

That's the problem....

Good theory, but can anyone ensure that no more release clause can be activated?

Who knows? Only Owen and the club i say.

Simple! Oba and Martins should start every game imo, cos they can score goals!

Oba is better than shit arse Shola as the 'big man' anyways, simply cos he can head a ball!!

We should make sure Oba knows we appreciate him on Sunday by singin his name when he is warming the bench! :clap2:

Oba is better than shit arse Shola as the 'big man' anyways, simply cos he can head a ball!!

We should make sure Oba knows we appreciate him on Sunday by singin his name when he is warming the bench! :clap2:

Martins is better than Oba imo.

I don't think Sam rates him, tbh.

Agreed.

I'm not sure that's the case, more he can't accommodate him and Owen in the same team as it fucks up his long ball style of football.

I think that's spot on tbh. Mind, most teams prefer a big man-little man combo, just not all of them launch the ball 50yds long towards the strikers unless they've got someone good in the air. West Ham will have a similar front pair, but the way they are playing is like chalk and cheese compared to us at the moment.

Oba is better than s*** arse Shola as the 'big man' anyways, simply cos he can head a ball!!

Martins is better than Oba imo.

Akinwunmi is better than both of them tbh.

Guest seths_breath

Owen, Vidua and Martins would be a great frontline at home.

Does anyone know if Martins was offered a new contract this summer?

I remember hearing a rumour that they were going to give him a new one, but without the escape clause.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Let's hope so.

I guess playing Shola before Oba was down to how well  Owen Played off Heskey for England, its the same reason why Viduka plays ahead of Oba when fit, its this big strong player with a smaller faster player combination that a lot of managers seem to like. For me though two skillful fast players will cause more problems for defenders if you keep the ball on the deck then 1 big player will cause if you hoof long balls up. Sam said that he was not  gong to play long ball football here but it is what he is doing, he needs to play Owen and Martins and a ACM, and not a Butt - Geremi partnership . We need Emre back or Duff. Also need Enrique fit so Zoggy can play back on the wing.

I can see Martins wanting away though, if he keeps on being benched for the likes of Shola then who could blame the lad for being pissed off with that. Sam taking a risk I reckon, same with benching Given, I like Harper and his dedication to the club but he is not a world class keeper like Given is.

(meant to post this in the preferred striking options yesterday but forgot, so thought I’d stick it in here) Gotta say Owen & Martins deserve a chance together. I disagree they are too similar, everyone says that based on size but they are totally different players. Martins is so strong and gets so high he can outjump someone far taller and is also just a big ball of muscle. I know he wasn’t so good at holding it up on his own last season but then he didn’t have Owen as an outlet. Also, he scored his fair share of headers and long range bullets last year, whilst Owen tends to get behind the defence and also be in the right place at the right time. Martins, despite his pace, rarely made similar runs to Owen and whilst it hindered him last season it could be beneficial this year. After all, what combination scored our winner against Wigan – Martins cross, Owen goal. They deserve a chance, especially in games such as tonight, where they have everything needed to tear Derby apart.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

I guess playing Shola before Oba was down to how well  Owen Played off Heskey for England, its the same reason why Viduka plays ahead of Oba when fit, its this big strong player with a smaller faster player combination that a lot of managers seem to like. For me though two skillful fast players will cause more problems for defenders if you keep the ball on the deck then 1 big player will cause if you hoof long balls up.

Shearer and Bellamy.

Guest NUFCGator

After the beautiful attacking display we showed on Monday Oba should be outraged if he isn't starting somewhere up top against West Ham on Sunday. Even Sam's got to realize he's currently more talented than anyone in attack aside of maybe Owen and by playing him he'll only reach his potential quicker and hopefully won't want to leave us for a side playing in Europe if the team continues to falter. Beyond all that he carried our attack through all of last year, you've gotta think the kid deserves it at least.

I don't think Sam rates him, tbh.

I get this impression as well

Me too!

I really don't know why though as its crystal clear to me he's way better than all our strikers bar arguably Owen. Plus he'd have offered us way more even on the RW than smith would on monday!!! For me unless his form drops drastically i'd find a place up top or at the very least out wide for him. His form may drop if sam doesn't pick him and he may well want away , which would be a big shame as its clear from him keeping us up last season he's got bags of talent and is a real handfull for any defence!

Like all good players Obas going to be unsettled unless hes being on a regular basis!I think Sam rates him,since he did come out and say he was worried that a team might trigger his get out clause or unless of course he was saying that to get teams interested!I think Sam thinks he cant play Owen and Martins in the same team as there too small and doesnt suit his style of play which I dont understand considering Oba came on against Wigan and set up Owens goal!

Oba must start.. alongside Owen.

Co-Sign

but if Big Sam feels he needs a big man & a fast forward upfront this should include Shola & Oba

See there you go again.

Somebody suggesting ameobi as a viable option.

FFS  will this never end?

it's not like he's crap, average player with potential with a good partner like Martins